I may have to go to Canada just for beer

Draconator

Some of my most fond teenage memories are going up to the beer stores in Canada, buying a couple cases and all meeting up at the quarries. Amazing times! I wonder where those girls are today….and hope they guys are OK too. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Some of my most fond teenage memories are going up to the beer stores in Canada, buying a couple cases and all meeting up at the quarries. Amazing times! I wonder where those girls are today….and hope they guys are OK too. 

I made many a trip to Ft. Erie for Brador before concerts. Now (before the border lockdown) I would got to the Beer Store to return empties and the Duty Free for the new beer purchase.

6 minutes ago, DD4Bills said:

Went to college in Vermont a long time ago and made regular trips across the border just to buy beer. Always liked when the boarder agent asked how long we would be in Canada and we answered "about 15 minutes."

Border officer: Where are you going?
Me: Beer Store and Duty Free

Border officer: What's your brand?
Me: Alexander Keiths

Border officer: Nice choice. Enjoy your brief visit to Canada

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

And hopefully they are still females 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

Border officer: Where are you going?
Me: Beer Store and Duty Free

Border officer: What's your brand?
Me: Alexander Keiths

Border officer: Nice choice. Enjoy your brief visit to Canada

back in the day…. It was much more relaxed….

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

Nexus cards are totally worth the $50 fee. This was in 2019 before the shutdown.

Understood, but I am living in Knoxville now. Went to Niagara U and we used to walk across the whirlpool bridge to buy beer and carry it back. The border guys laughed at us. They would “threaten” to confiscate our “illegal” or improper import when we came back across. They really did have fun with us. When you go across now there is much more of a negative vibe in the demeanor. It’s sad really sad.

36 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Understood, but I am living in Knoxville now. Went to Niagara U and we used to walk across the whirlpool bridge to buy beer and carry it back. The border guys laughed at us. They would “threaten” to confiscate our “illegal” or improper import when we came back across. They really did have fun with us. When you go across now there is much more of a negative vibe in the demeanor. It’s sad really sad.

Granted that the "vibe" is much more serious. Sometimes that can work to our benefit. I had just received my Nexus card, and went through the Nexus lane with 2 cases of beer. The border officer let me have it for carrying alcohol in the Nexus lane. Said I would be paying hundreds of dollars in Duty. So I went to secondary inspection, and I paid $6. When my wife and I went to the Whirlpool Bridge for her Nexus card, I casually mentioned my situation. The commanding officer questioned me hard about it. After we were done, he went into his cubical, called the Peace Bridge (where this happened), and shouted at the top of his voice to the commanding officer at the Peace Bridge to "get your s**t together". I have never had an issue since then (before lockdown of course. Haven't been to Canada since February 2020.)

I went to UB living in Amherst campus dorms when I was 17 and was asked "When will you be 18?" and I said "Next month".

His response: I will put you on the list but never told what list.

The next month he came by dorm floor kitchen.

Who wants free Chinese?  Bunch of guys put their hands up.

Who is a 18 and has proof?  Some put their hands down.

You and you and you (me) and you and you we are going to Canada.

Lead: Don't be an asshat or you are walking back.

Fort Erie Border Guard: Where are you going? 

Lead answer: Beer, gas and Chinese food.

Border Guard: Others? and we all replied same.

Border Guard: IDs? And we all held up ID.

Border Guard: Enjoy Canada

He went to beer store next and got 12 cases of beer.

We then went to a Chinese fast food place and he ordered some food and we ate there.

On way back got gas.

Fort Erie Border Guard: Where did you go and what did you do?

All: Beer, gas and Chinese food holding up IDs.

Fort Erie Border Guard: Go.

He was member of a fraternity and he would make a trip every 2 weeks or so until midterms or finals.

Never was asked to join so never paid attention to which one but fraternities were not that big in UB.

In the pre 9/11 days, crossing was a much more laid back affair.  I emigrated from the U.S. to Canada in the late 70s, but have always retained my U.S. citizenship.  Until 1988, I remained working in the U.S., commuting daily.  Some of the customs officials on both sides were very laid back with the daily commuters, some were hard nose sticklers for asking all necessary questions.  One U.S. official we called 'Bertha' seemed to always be on early in the morning, and it was not uncommon for her to have U.S. bound traffic backed up.  As I came through the toll booth (in that era it was on the U.S. side), I asked Louie the ticket taker "Bertha in the booth?"  Louie lived in Ridgeway, and said to me "I drive over here daily, and she always asks me where I am going.  I am going to park in that lot over there, pick up my till, walk right past you, and go sit in that booth 150 feet away.  Where the #£@€ does she think I'm going?!"

Back in about '84 decided on a lab to do my research in.  The first day, the advisor says"We're going to a yeast symposium in Toronto".  He drives. The car had 3 of us US citizens, an Indian and a Chilean with green cards and a Palistami/Australian with a visa.  Mo problem going to Canada.  

When we came back  at the Peace Bridge, the non US  citizens had their papers out expecting a long wait.  The US border guard ;tools at them quickly and then asks us why we were in Canada. We replied " For a scientific cobference on yeast". Then he asks "Anything to declare.?" We said no. He then  says " Why the hell aren't you bringing some  beer back?":Get out of here!"

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

back in the day…. It was much more relaxed….

Did you ever have the Canadian border agents take your car apart? I was driving my Corvair to Canada with a few friends, and we were suspicious teenagers I guess.

It went from "Open up the boot and the bonnet please" to taking out the seats and everything. There was nothing to be found, so they said OK you can go. Of course, you had to put your own car back together.

41 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

Did you ever have the Canadian border agents take your car apart? I was driving my Corvair to Canada with a few friends, and we were suspicious teenagers I guess.

It went from "Open up the boot and the bonnet please" to taking out the seats and everything. There was nothing to be found, so they said OK you can go. Of course, you had to put your own car back together.

I nearly had that happen with a rental car. I was living in California at the time but was back in Buffalo visiting my parents. I went to the drug store to pick up a few bottles of Acetaminophen with Codeine as my then wife had torn her rotator cuff and it was before surgery. Like a dolt, I claimed all 3 bottles. I was immediately instructed to pull in a garage, and dogs and mirrors came out and the border agents when through the car bumper to bumper. End result, I had to pour two bottles in the toilet and away I went with the one bottle. Of course, a couple of days later we went to another crossing near the 1000 Islands, didn't say a thing, and had 3 extra bottles. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.