Traveling to game/Airport Question

TFBillsfan

Looking to bring my daughter to her first game this year. Flying round trip from Atlanta. The last direct flight on Sunday is at 6:41 pm. Is it realistic to make it to the airport in time after the game or would we need to leave the game early? My spouse doesn’t want her to miss school. We’d most likely have a rental car. Any help would be much appreciated.

You only need to be at buffalo airport an hour in advance typically so it's realistic but you would want to park in a private lot down Abbott road further so you can get out quicker instead of parking in main lot...assuming your driving. I have never taken an Uber there so not sure how long that takes 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I've done it a couple times but you really need to be careful about where you park to make sure you can get out.  I'm sure there are other ways but each time I've done it I parked out at the ECC lot, walked with a distinct purpose after the game, gone left onto Southwestern (there is usually a traffic cop that opens a hole for you), immediate right onto Brompton, right onto McKinley.  Depending on how you are doing at that point you can either roll McKinley to Milestrip and go left on Milestrip and then over to the I-90, or you can go McKinley to Lake, Lake to Rt 5, Rt 5 to the 190. 190 South to Elm Exit, take Elm to the Kensington and then on to the airport. That way you miss the Thruway which gets funny sometimes.  It's not the most direct route, but it will be moving and is very unlikely to jam up on you.  The way I do it from McKinley if I'm really felling prickish or if people leave early and the traffic gets crap quickly or if the game runs very long is to make a left off McKinley into the Wegmans parking lot then make a right into the plaza to the right of the Wegmans and keep going. All the parking lots of the strip centers are attached and you can go all the way through and come out by the Home Depot at a traffic light on Milestrip that will let you make a left and skip an absolute ton of stopped traffic then get on the 90.  It's a dick move but a missed plane is no bueno and I'm sorry but sometimes you need to do what you need to do.  If McKinley is screwed and I can't go the other way that's a bailout.

Other helpful tidbits, pack light if possible and don't try to check bags, make sure you can do a carry-on. It speeds up the process.  Have everything in the car with you at the game, no going back to a hotel, go directly to the airport.  Also, if you have TSA precheck it helps with the airport line.  There are a couple flights that leave at that time and it sometimes backs up.

What else ya got folks?

9 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I would recommend getting a later flight even if it's not direct. Depending on where you're parked it's common to not even be able to even leave the lot for an hour. You will be less stressed out and enjoy the game more if you're not worried about rushing to the airport. 

Those are usually the last flights out on Sunday night.

9 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

You only need to be at buffalo airport an hour in advance typically so it's realistic but you would want to park in a private lot down Abbott road further so you can get out quicker instead of parking in main lot...assuming your driving. I have never taken an Uber there so not sure how long that takes 

Yes, never ever ever park in one of the main stadium lots. Ever. and if you park in a private lot make sure they don't block you in.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I wouldn't recommend it. It is certainly possible, but a real iffy proposition and would likely leave you and your daughter stressed. Enjoy the game and find somewhere to get some wings afterwards. You're investing a lot in the memory with your daughter. Missing a day of school simply isn't that big a deal to ruin a once in a lifetime experience for the both of you. Tell mom to chill. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

I wouldn't recommend it. It is certainly possible, but a real iffy proposition and would likely leave you and your daughter stressed. Enjoy the game and find somewhere to get some wings afterwards. You're investing a lot in the memory with your daughter. Missing a day of school simply isn't that big a deal to ruin a once in a lifetime experience for the both of you. Tell mom to chill. 

I get it, but it's totally doable. If he's in his car by 430 that gives him an hour and 45 minutes to drive to the airport, return the car and get through security with half an hour to spare. It's plenty of time.

Even not trying to go fast I used to be able to get from the stadium to Grand Island in 45 minutes and that's when there were 10k more people at the stadium. The airport is half that distance.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I get it, but it's totally doable. If he's in his car by 430 that gives him an hour and 45 minutes to drive to the airport, return the car and get through security with half an hour to spare. It's plenty of time.

Even not trying to go fast I used to be able to get from the stadium to Grand Island in 45 minutes and that's when there were 10k more people at the stadium. The airport is half that distance.

Plenty of time is definitely a stretch lol. Sure if everything goes perfect he could make it. But it's a gamble at best.

I personally wouldn't do it. 

• Like (+1) 2

If Steve McQueen or that Fast and Furious guy stayed to the end of the game and parked in a Bills supervised lot, they could make it in time to return the rental car, get to the airport and through security to catch a 6:41 flight.

Good Luck.

Edited by I am the egg man

35 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Steve McQueen or that Fast and Furious guy could make it in time to return the rental car, get to the airport and through security to catch a 6:41 flight, if they stayed to the end of a Bills game and parked in a Bills supervised lot.

Good Luck.

You are persistent!!!     :)

If doing it for the memory, play it safe and leave late in the third quarter to get out easy. OP to the airport in nothing, out of the parking lot is everything. 

EDIT: I took both sons when they were 16 to games in OP. It worked, they are fully indoctrinated Bills Fans! It was a memory a MILLION TIMES more valuable than the cost of seats or parking. I don’t remember what the scores were, or whether the Bills won (OK, we split 2 against the Jets). 

You be you, but to ME it would have been worth the memory if we absolutely had to leave at the end of the third or a little later.  Just have to judge that on game day. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

You could try parking in someone's lawn along rt 20 towards the airport. Park in the front where you can just pull out into traffic, don't be afraid to stick your car into a tight spot if you want to get out of there.  

Stay out as far as u can, there should be parking atleast a mile away if not farther. Park and walk in the main gate to the stadium. Find a tailgate and have fun. 

After the game speed walk to your car and don't hesitate getting onto the road. 

I don't know if you will make it but I've personally done this and it was by far the quickest I've gotten away from the stadium ever. 

Good luck! 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

You could try parking in someone's lawn along rt 20 towards the airport. Park in the front where you can just pull out into traffic, don't be afraid to stick your car into a tight spot if you want to get out of there.  

Stay out as far as u can, there should be parking atleast a mile away if not farther. Park and walk in the main gate to the stadium. Find a tailgate and have fun. 

I don't know if you will make it but I've personally done this and it was by far the quickest I've gotten away from the stadium ever. 

Good luck! 

Few people are aware that this is how the 4 minute mile was broken! 

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Good luck! 

this is what I do.  Park at the first house on Big Tree (20A) that offers parking once I get off of the 219, then I’m back on the 219 heading towards 90E within 5 minutes of starting my car’s ignition after the game.

Bonus: save $25-$30 on parking, more money for booze.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

this is what I do.  Park at the first house on Big Tree (20A) that offers parking once I get off of the 219, then I’m back on the 219 heading towards 90E within 5 minutes of starting my car’s ignition after the game.

Bonus: save $25-$30 on parking, more money for booze.

Sure his spouse would be OK with this windfall kind of tradeoff spending and indulgence were their daughter to not miss school the day after the game, as they had asked.