Preseason TNF: WFT at Pats / Eagles at Steelers

YoloinOhio

48 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I by no means was trying say Allen is not a very good QB.  I think a few on here took my use of his first year QBR as an insult to him.  I was just trying to point out rookie QBs rarely light it up.  I hope for Bills fans you are right about Allen as everything only time will tell. 

The division is Buffalos for the near future at least, I don’t expect Jones be capable of hanging with Allen for at least a full year if he ever can. (That means a full year being a starter so be more like season 3) 

Id be more excited about Mac Jones relative to what you have, over Mac Jones as the future - if that makes any sense. 

If Mac Jones can mask his lack of arm strength with anticipation and accuracy, y’all are going to be tough.. because heaven knows - what you have in Cam - isn’t scaring anyone. 

Mac Jones looked calm, accurate and solid last night.  I dont see a huge ceiling though.  I say that as someone who lives down south in SEC Country.  Mac Jones looked, last night, exactly how he did at Bama.  That’s good and bad…

Good, that the moment isn’t too big for him.  

Bad, that he’s not going to be able to carve up teams on shallow crossers, dump offs and deep balls when the defenses he’s facing are equal in talent to what he has.  

Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes and to a lesser extent Trey Lance/Zach Wilson are boom or bust guys.  

Mac Jones is going to make y’all a good team.  I just don’t see great.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

People seem confused that the media needs your attention today... not in 2 or 3 years..

I get it.  But it does seem to be that there is an even greater urgency with the media (especially with the advent of social media as a platform) for the media to trip over itself with the latest hot take...lots of "old takes exposed" get created that way.

11 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I get it.  But it does seem to be that there is an even greater urgency with the media (especially with the advent of social media as a platform) for the media to trip over itself with the latest hot take...lots of "old takes exposed" get created that way.

It's a matter of efficiency. Throwing out a bunch of hot takes get a bunch of attention and nobody really cares that you're generally wrong. In fact, the 'generally wrong' ends up being an attention getter itself. Look at this forum.. people can't wait to post stuff from sites or reporters that they "hate" to get everyone else riled up and running over to pay attention to the object of said "hate". 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ya my projections are just way off.. I mean Vegas has them at 9 wins so dang I am crazy thinking they could have  9 to 10 wins, just a total homer thing.   But hey I am sure you and E are smarter than Vegas with the 7 prediction. 

Vegas is good…..usually better than public…..but then there’s the Bills O/U 8.5 wins in 2020.  They were only 4.5 wins off.  Utter fail.  Glad I cashed in on that blatant error.  

personally, I think the pats have the talent/coaching to win 9-11 games and beat us once.  But that doesn’t mean that the public isn’t sometimes smarter than Vegas.  

5 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

I see the same record too, but how on earth is anyone gathering what a teams season is going to be from the first actual live hitting preseason game is beyond me...

Teams aren't even putting in their actual offensive n defensive schemes. Just (not saying you) Just overreacting to everything immediately.

That's true. I think my view of the Pats would stay the same regardless of what happens in preseason. 

On 8/13/2021 at 10:29 AM, Rochesterfan said:

I agree with some of this.  They were a 7 win team last year and better QB play they could easily had 10 or 11 wins.

The issue is I think they are even less diverse this year.  It was obvious Cam lacked the arm strength later in the season and once teams started moving up and stacking the box and not fearing the pass - they really struggled to win.  They kept games close, but were not a real threat to win.  I don’t think they get the early season teams backing off - I think teams will say - you have to beat us through the air and down the field - outside.  We are stacking the line of scrimmage and the middle - good luck.

This year they added TEs and look to be even more of a running game team and both Cam and Mac seem to be better at short 3-5 yard throws - meaning 1 incomplete pass kills a drive.  We saw it last evening with Jones - he completed nearly 70% of his passes for a 4.6 yard average.  His couple of throws over 10 yards in the air were incomplete.

He looked just like he did in college - the difference - his WRs are no longer 5* recruits playing against 2-3* players and therefore instead of big gains - they are tackled at 3-4 yards. 

I think they struggle early with Cam, but move the ball and eventually flip to Jones and he is a significantly better passer than Cam, but they still struggle to move and they end up around 6-8 wins.  They will be good enough to beat the bottom teams with defense, but will struggle against the better teams and end up well outside the playoff picture.

I can’t quite agree on win total, but I see your point.  The thing is, you can tell people what’s coming and they still have to stop it. They brought in some good talent and they are getting a LOT back on D, so don’t discount that in the W column.   I see them as a real contender for the playoffs, but I do believe that hinges on either Cam is back to a competent QB or Jones has one of those semi-special rookie years.   The issue is, neither is going to be asked to do much and if the Ravens have proven anything, it’s you don’t need a great thrower to make it work. 

Regardless of who is closer here, I think we can both agree , the Bills SHOULD, beat them, but the Pats aren’t going to be a great match up if they can execute their game plan.