It's Time to Mandate Vaccines

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

I'll ask again....

Who are the unvaccinated by choice harming that the vaccinated by force are not?

I think the unvaccinated are hurting the vaccinated's feelings. 

You know how important feelings are these days....

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I'll ask again....

Who are the unvaccinated by choice harming that the vaccinated by force are not?

The hospitals in Louisiana where they can't see other patients because 1/4 of their beds are filled with Covid patients? 

Nursing homes where 40% of workers are unvaccinated and thus threaten to spread Covid to the most vulnerable residents? 

Shall we go on? 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Going to be years before kids eat in a restaurant again in NYC

Yep.  Systemic racism.  But they don't care this about making sure the racist Whites in Manhattan are fully segregated....I mean vaccinated 

Kids enjoy eating in those igloos/stables/tents/Lego cubes that sprung up all over the place last winter. Don't ruin their fun!

Actually, I can't believe I'm saying this, but ... De Blasio has kind of hit on a reasonable policy here. There's not a hell of a lot people can do to mitigate risk of spread in gyms or indoor restaurants. Masking, social distancing, all of that - it doesn't really work in those settings. I would prefer something a step beyond, allowing for some kind of certification based on super effective ventilation systems/air turnover rates (that's really the key), but this is better than the alternatives of Absolutely Anything Goes vs. Let's Require Masks While Eating/Working Out. And don't kid yourselves - that's really the only other policy responses out there now. There are better ones, but we're not there yet as a society (and neither is the reset of the world)

4 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

The hospitals in Louisiana where they can't see other patients because 1/4 of their beds are filled with Covid patients? 

Nursing homes where 40% of workers are unvaccinated and thus threaten to spread Covid to the most vulnerable residents? 

Shall we go on? 

Yes.  The 60% that are vaccinated can spread it to so.....

They can't see patients because of rules that shouldn't exist.  You should be able to visit a covid patient if that patient is a close relative.  

And those hospitalizations include ALL patients that test positive for covid.  

We never have been overwhelmed and never will be.   If we are maybe Biden should send a ship to the gulf for Florida and Louisiana.  

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Kids enjoy eating in those igloos/stables/tents/Lego cubes that sprung up all over the place last winter. Don't ruin their fun!

Actually, I can't believe I'm saying this, but ... De Blasio has kind of hit on a reasonable policy here. There's not a hell of a lot people can do to mitigate risk of spread in gyms or indoor restaurants. Masking, social distancing, all of that - it doesn't really work in those settings. I would prefer something a step beyond, allowing for some kind of certification based on super effective ventilation systems/air turnover rates (that's really the key), but this is better than the alternatives of Absolutely Anything Goes vs. Let's Require Masks While Eating/Working Out. And don't kid yourselves - that's really the only other policy responses out there now. There are better ones, but we're not there yet as a society (and neither is the reset of the world)

I'd say that's a typo but probably not.  

42 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

De Blasio finishing up strong!

The guy presided over the epicenter of Covid infection in the country, a precursor to hundreds of thousands of deaths in the country.  

He’s finishing up strong by arbitrarily targeting two business types and allowing the Vid to run wild everywhere else?  

Are people going to be happier that they were infected with COVID at the Apple store or Ace Hardware?  

I thought you were pro-mandate? 

****edit, just saw your other comment about deblasio striking a balance.  

Even the folks who are “pro-mandatory” aren’t really all that “pro-mandatory”. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The guy presided over the epicenter of Covid infection in the country, a precursor to hundreds of thousands of deaths in the country.  

He’s finishing up strong by arbitrarily targeting two business types and allowing the Vid to run wild everywhere else?  

Are people going to be happier that they were infected with COVID at the Apple store or Ace Hardware?  

Yes I am.

Baby steps: indoor dining and gyms are classic locations where other measures to mitigate the risk of spread are impracticable. Gyms involve people respirating (by design) at unusually high rates. Restaurants involve an activity incompatible with masking, they're often loud and involve people shouting/speaking at high volume, etc. All of these things increase transmission risk. Starting there makes sense. 

The Apple store and Ace Hardware don't typically involve the same risks unless they allow themselves to get ridiculously crowded.

As for better measures: it really makes sense to read where the science is going here. This FAQ hasn't been updated for a while (and yes, the Delta variant may call some of it into question), but I have long believed that a focus on air turnover rates is where we should be headed, and yes, governments already have the ability to measure/monitor such things as part of their general mandates relating to public health and air quality. Of course, one of the big problems is seemingly simple, but intractable in practice: throw open a window, which you basically cannot do in any large building constructed post-1965 or so.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fB5pysccOHvxphpTmCG_TGdytavMmc1cUumn8m0pwzo/preview?pru=AAABdRfmqyE*LjztXbyCZC8bp1aYvKB4yA#

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

They're trolling - that's what I've noticed they've resorted to as they realize every consequence the sane and logical warned them about and they vigorously denied would happen have all come to pass.  Including indefinite mitigation - masks forever (look at how we wiped out the flu!) 

So they've turned to trolling and blaming Trump voters because we can't eradicate an aresolized virus and bring "cases!" down to zero.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes I am.

Baby steps: indoor dining and gyms are classic locations where other measures to mitigate the risk of spread are impracticable. Gyms involve people respirating (by design) at unusually high rates. Restaurants involve an activity incompatible with masking, they're often loud and involve people shouting/speaking at high volume, etc. All of these things increase transmission risk. Starting there makes sense. 

The Apple store and Ace Hardware don't typically involve the same risks unless they allow themselves to get ridiculously crowded.

As for better measures: it really makes sense to read where the science is going here. This FAQ hasn't been updated for a while (and yes, the Delta variant may call some of it into question), but I have long believed that a focus on air turnover rates is where we should be headed, and yes, governments already have the ability to measure/monitor such things as part of their general mandates relating to public health and air quality. Of course, one of the big problems is seemingly simple, but intractable in practice: throw open a window, which you basically cannot do in any large building constructed post-1965 or so.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fB5pysccOHvxphpTmCG_TGdytavMmc1cUumn8m0pwzo/preview?pru=AAABdRfmqyE*LjztXbyCZC8bp1aYvKB4yA#

Holy crap, no wonder the virus spreads like a mofo.  
It’s treated politically any way you slice it. 

What I’m hearing from deblasio is it’s ok to become infected and die so long it’s not related to  nibblin on chicken wings or hitting the squat rack. 

What a fascinating time to be alive.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Holy crap, no wonder the virus spreads like a mofo.  
It’s treated politically any way you slice it. 

What I’m hearing from deblasio is it’s ok to become infected and die so long it’s not related to  nibblin on chicken wings or hitting the squat rack. 

What a fascinating time to be alive.

I usually expect informed, intelligent comments from you - ones I often don't agree with - but come one, you can do better than this.

It is a question of taking reasonable steps.

Mask mandates for people outdoors? Stupid, based on what we know now. (I'll give some advocates of it a pass with respect to the situation in March/April 2020, but we've learned a lot and we shouldn't ignore what we've learned).

Limiting certain types of indoor high risk of transmission activities to the vaccinated? Perfectly reasonable. 

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I usually expect informed, intelligent comments from you - ones I often don't agree with - but come one, you can do better than this.

It is a question of taking reasonable steps.

Mask mandates for people outdoors? Stupid, based on what we know now. (I'll give some advocates of it a pass with respect to the situation in March/April 2020, but we've learned a lot and we shouldn't ignore what we've learned).

Limiting certain types of indoor high risk of transmission activities to the vaccinated? Perfectly reasonable. 

Thank you for the compliment, but I wasn’t speaking about masking outdoors (though I know there are people advocating for same). 

I was speaking of DeBlasio threading the needle by targeting two specific industries during a time when our country is at a tipping point (according to the science dudes), when there is significant vaccine hesitancy that crosses the political spectrum (regardless of whatever cherry picked stats people want to offer) and a general feeling that chaos reigns supreme in the fight against COVID.  

We saw it all last year with purely political gamesmanship: 

Politicians were locking the country down while encouraging or participating in protests involving tens of thousands.  People smell bull####, Frankish, and that sort of thing leads to confusion. 

Politicians famously ignored their own mandates.  People smell bull####, and that sort of thing leads to confusion.

Rules for some businesses (gyms) or house of worship while others (strip clubs) were not targeted at all.  People smell bull####, and that sort of thing leads to confusion. 

Rules for NYers returning from Florida (or other high risk places) —test, quarantine, test—-while having no rules whatsoever for non-residents returning from Florida who work in NYS. People smell bull####, and this leads to confusion. 

Politicians trashing vaccines developed under a president with an R next to his name, surprised later on that people smell bull#### and have doubt about what they say now. 

Now, this jagoff throws his sharp elbows into two businesses already reeling from last years restrictions, but apparently has no real concerns about kids burrowing through the tunnels at Chuckie Cheese. 

I’m not for mandatory vaccines or mandatory lockdowns, generally, but I’m tired of being a pawn in this great game that’s being played.  Lock it the 🤬 down if that needs to be done, or leave me the 🤬 alone if it does not.  Mandate a vax if that’s the only at to move on, but stop this pussyfooting around looking trying to look like you know what the 🤬you’re doing by dumping it on the business community. 

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Thank you for the compliment, but I wasn’t speaking about masking outdoors (though I know there are people advocating for same). 

I was speaking of DeBlasio threading the needle by targeting two specific industries during a time when our country is at a tipping point (according to the science dudes), when there is significant vaccine hesitancy that crosses the political spectrum (regardless of whatever cherry picked stats people want to offer) and a general feeling that chaos reigns supreme in the fight against COVID.  

We saw it all last year with purely political gamesmanship: 

Politicians were locking the country down while encouraging or participating in protests involving tens of thousands.  People smell bull####, Frankish, and that sort of thing leads to confusion. 

Politicians famously ignored their own mandates.  People smell bull####, and that sort of thing leads to confusion.

Rules for some businesses (gyms) or house of worship while others (strip clubs) were not targeted at all.  People smell bull####, and that sort of thing leads to confusion. 

Rules for NYers returning from Florida (or other high risk places) —test, quarantine, test—-while having no rules whatsoever for non-residents returning from Florida who work in NYS. People smell bull####, and this leads to confusion. 

Politicians trashing vaccines developed under a president with an R next to his name, surprised later on that people smell bull#### and have doubt about what they say now. 

Now, this jagoff throws his sharp elbows into two businesses already reeling from last years restrictions, but apparently has no real concerns about kids burrowing through the tunnels at Chuckie Cheese. 

I’m not for mandatory vaccines or mandatory lockdowns, generally, but I’m tired of being a pawn in this great game that’s being played.  Lock it the 🤬 down if that needs to be done, or leave me the 🤬 alone if it does not.  Mandate a vax if that’s the only at to move on, but stop this pussyfooting around looking trying to look like you know what the 🤬you’re doing by dumping it on the business community. 

The next step will be checkpoints in NJ/NYC. You’ll need a valid vaccine passport to enter these places pretty soon. 

I also wouldn’t allow anyone returning from Florida and other terrible states to enter without a clean test no older than 48 hours.

Early on in the pandemic, Rhode Island (Red Governor) had checkpoints to stop people from NYC coming in.

There it is......

Poll reveals who Americans blame for the Delta variant

Of the 999 adults surveyed in the recent Axios-Ipsos poll, 80 per cent said the rise in Covid cases was down to those who had refused to get a Covid-19 jab.

Only 10 per cent of unvaccinated respondents thought those without vaccines could be to blame for rising levels of infections.

Highlighting the political polarisation in the US, 36 per cent of vaccinated people in the survey cited Donald Trump as a reason for coronavirus spreading, while 30 per cent cited foreign travel and 33 per cent said conservative media could be a reason for increases in the disease.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/delta-variant-poll-unvaccinated-b1896084.html

Sham. 

The politicians will do this to you and your kids that are at less risk from this then the flu indefinitely.  

Yep.  Totally normal.

Scientific Journal Paper Suggests Making It A ‘Federal Hate Crime’ To Criticize Fauci.

A scientific journal article authored by Professor Peter Hotez, a frequent guest on mainstream media networks, called to “extend federal hate-crime protections” for scientists facing criticism from alleged “far-right extremists,” including National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony Fauci....

https://thenationalpulse.com/news/paper-calls-for-fauci-criticism-to-be-a-hate-crime/

• Like (+1) 1

Hi Dena,

That tweet is a lie.  There were over 11K hospitalizations last JULY.  Let's not ask about seasonality or anything.  Maybe that's why the North is in such a panic.  

And half of them between 25 and 55 but miraculously that wasn't the case last summer?   

Best freaking governor in America:

Stop judging the unvaccinated!

37 minutes ago, Governor said:

The next step will be checkpoints in NJ/NYC. You’ll need a valid vaccine passport to enter these places pretty soon. 

I also wouldn’t allow anyone returning from Florida and other terrible states to enter without a clean test no older than 48 hours.

Early on in the pandemic, Rhode Island (Red Governor) had checkpoints to stop people from NYC coming in.

That Florida into NY ship sailed in February, when numbers were still very high but Cuomo lifted restrictions because it suited his voter base and we had a Dem in the WH.  

For my next trip to S Fla, I shall fly through Boston, perhaps taking the many back roads to avoid ICE and check point Charlie if necessary.  

Godspeed!