The Patriot QB's suck 🤣🤣

Dablitzkrieg

On 8/2/2021 at 9:59 PM, P Riv said:

Relevant?  They don't need us on a Bills board for that.  People outside of NE are picking them to win the Div: Which team wins the AFC East this season? Which team wins the AFC East this season? | First Take - YouTube    (edit-link not working???)

Newton is likely to be better than last year, he's already showing that in camp apparently.  I know in our Bills mafia world that 2020 is Josh's floor and 2020's stats are Newton's ceiling though, right?  lol

This brings back warm memories of August homerism on BBMB, where Brady was too old to play about 10 years ago.  Just you wait they said.  

Its going to be a great season, we're going to win a tough division and the past doesn't mean squat.  

Is delusional your natural state or are you smoking crack?  

1 hour ago, P Riv said:

Its not my personal opinion per se, its what I found at most sites around the web.  Their O-line is rated at least 10 spots ahead of ours.  Their RB group is rated higher also.  As far as defense goes, all of their position groups are rated higher as is their defense overall.  Some groups are really close, but overall this seems to be the common outlook: https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-defense-rankings/

Thanks.  I had listened to a Joe Marino podcast that went position group by position group for the whole division, and he made points i agreed with.  I dont think anyone in the east has a good RB group.  Looking more I might give their OL a slight edge for interior play but Tackle is a wash and I think we are better at C.  I dont understand off ball LB being better where we have Milano and Edmunds.  They have Hightower and JAG.  I found those defensive rankings pretty laughable.  We were 12th in DVOA last year with a fair number of injuries to our core LBs.  I think we return to top 10 pretty easily.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

Thanks.  I had listened to a Joe Marino podcast that went position group by position group for the whole division, and he made points i agreed with.  I dont think anyone in the east has a good RB group.  Looking more I might give their OL a slight edge for interior play but Tackle is a wash and I think we are better at C.  I dont understand off ball LB being better where we have Milano and Edmunds.  They have Hightower and JAG.  I found those defensive rankings pretty laughable.  We were 12th in DVOA last year with a fair number of injuries to our core LBs.  I think we return to top 10 pretty easily.

Pretty much every "2021 NFL O-line rankings" hit I got in a google search has them in the top 10, which we are not.  Top three hits.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-line-units-entering-2021-season

https://thehuddle.com/2021/06/25/2021-offensive-line-rankings/

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/best-offensive-lines-in-the-nfl-ranked/3/

This site has them at #2  https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/06/which-2021-nfl-teams-will-have-the-best-and-worst-offensive-lines/

I did the same type of search for the other position groups, which is where I came up with what I stated previously.  As a Bills fan, I feel you have to look for outside opinions to balance out the internal bias.  

8 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Pretty much every "2021 NFL O-line rankings" hit I got in a google search has them in the top 10, which we are not.  Top three hits.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-line-units-entering-2021-season

This site has them at #2  https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/06/which-2021-nfl-teams-will-have-the-best-and-worst-offensive-lines/

I did the same type of search for the other position groups, which is where I came up with what I stated previously.  As a Bills fan, I feel you have to look for outside opinions to balance out the internal bias.  

I'm  not sure even the most optimistic Bills fan would argue that the Buffalo OL is/was elite -- or even good. There is a reason why the front office went heavy on linemen in the draft. Stats wise, the pass blocking in 2020 was very good -- but how much of that was due to Allen's mobility? Run blocking we know was a major liability. I guess the point I am making is that even with the OL being what it was in 2020, the Bills still managed to sweep the division. Hopefully better health and better depth will play a role in marked improvement in 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:50 PM, PatsFanNH said:

I hear those talking heads as well picking the Pats. I don’t see how anyone with eyes could! They are at best the 2nd best team in the East and maybe even 3rd best but I believe Miami going take a step back with Tua.

Trolling Bills fans is a proven method of generating clicks and views. For reference, see Nick Wright's entire career.

1 minute ago, FLFan said:

Your lack of understanding was already abundantly clear.

I see, you want to play one upper with dumb statements.  You win.  😂

(This is where I apply the never argue with an idiot advice)

18 hours ago, P Riv said:

Again appreciate the discussion.  I think I can stay objective after having watched our performance.  If anything its the Pats performance I would lack perspective on.  I think it boils down to imo the Pats seems to be getting a lot of projection this year. 

#2 OL is pretty great example of this.  They are essentially saying Trent Brown > Joe Thuney right?  Unless, (and the data probably does say this) they thought they were the #1 OL last year (that would be laughable).  I do feel its pretty objective to say we are better at off ball LB and the secondaries are very similar (thats not even talking about Gilmore).  DL is probably the spot with the most variance for each team (I think you would agree with this).  Even if I concede OL, this is pretty far off from "they are better at every other positional group."  

I dont know what FO is doing but they strongly think we had the better line last year

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/basic-offensive-defensive-line-stats/2020/offense

24 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Again appreciate the discussion.  I think I can stay objective after having watched our performance.  If anything its the Pats performance I would lack perspective on.  I think it boils down to imo the Pats seems to be getting a lot of projection this year. 

#2 OL is pretty great example of this.  They are essentially saying Trent Brown > Joe Thuney right?  Unless, (and the data probably does say this) they thought they were the #1 OL last year (that would be laughable).  I do feel its pretty objective to say we are better at off ball LB and the secondaries are very similar (thats not even talking about Gilmore).  DL is probably the spot with the most variance for each team (I think you would agree with this).  Even if I concede OL, this is pretty far off from "they are better at every other positional group."  

I dont know what FO is doing but they strongly think we had the better line last year

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/basic-offensive-defensive-line-stats/2020/offense

I think the question will be how quickly BB can get the team to gel and define their identity.  They're probably going to be a running team, but they don't have the horses to pair it with a really vertical offense unless agholor really thrives there.  They added a lot... but they were also the 27th ranked offense in the league a year ago.  They were probably worse than 7-9, they had no business winning that arizona game and the offense got real stale as teams figured out what they were doing.  The upgrades at WR and TE should help, but they were severely limited at QB and are rolling with the same guy.  If struggles continue they have Jones, and can develop more of a play action oriented attack that should takes some pressure off of him and use that spark to win a couple.  

Defensively they added some pass rush with van noy and Judon - get hightower back.  It's a solid group.  Hesitate to say "top 10" with the defensive line rotation though - its not a strong group.  Secondary is old but there is some young depth.  Buffalo's first game was set up for NE to win with it being cold and windy, and honestly NE probably should have won.  2nd game they didn't have gilmore, and I know that hurt - but they were shredded.  They are going to struggle with Buffalo's WR group, and you can't just leave gilmore on diggs and expect to have success.  

I see NE as a 10-7, 11-6 team?  Maybe enough to win the division?  Should be playoff bound and a tough out though.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I think the question will be how quickly BB can get the team to gel and define their identity.  They're probably going to be a running team, but they don't have the horses to pair it with a really vertical offense unless agholor really thrives there.  They added a lot... but they were also the 27th ranked offense in the league a year ago.  They were probably worse than 7-9, they had no business winning that arizona game and the offense got real stale as teams figured out what they were doing.  The upgrades at WR and TE should help, but they were severely limited at QB and are rolling with the same guy.  If struggles continue they have Jones, and can develop more of a play action oriented attack that should takes some pressure off of him and use that spark to win a couple.  

Defensively they added some pass rush with van noy and Judon - get hightower back.  It's a solid group.  Hesitate to say "top 10" with the defensive line rotation though - its not a strong group.  Secondary is old but there is some young depth.  Buffalo's first game was set up for NE to win with it being cold and windy, and honestly NE probably should have won.  2nd game they didn't have gilmore, and I know that hurt - but they were shredded.  They are going to struggle with Buffalo's WR group, and you can't just leave gilmore on diggs and expect to have success.  

I see NE as a 10-7, 11-6 team?  Maybe enough to win the division?  Should be playoff bound and a tough out though.

Thats pretty much what I came away with from all the different sources on the net.  I think in game one last year they put JC Jackson on Diggs with Safety help,  Gilmore covered someone else.  I could see them doing that again and now they have a much better front seven to contend with.  According to Youtube videos from NE's camp, Newton is healthy and looking much better than last year.  I'll believe that when he can do it week in week out in the regular season.  So... pending that doubtful reality coming to pass, 🙄 on "improvement".

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

Everything I found on the net more or less corroborates the idea that they are better or at least equal at every position group outside QB and WR, its in the links I posted.  Does that make it true?  Dunno... The regular season will tell us the truth,  I just think its notable and worth looking at.  

Bottom line here is that the OP is true "NE QB's suck", because if they had Brady with their current roster we'd likely be underdogs this year. 

He's long gone and we win a tough division this year, which I find much more interesting and more satisfying personally.  Makes us a tougher team in the playoffs. 

Edited by P Riv

31 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Everything I found on the net more or less corroborates the idea that they are better or at least equal at every position group outside QB and WR, its in the links I posted.  Does that make it true?  Dunno... The regular season will tell us the truth,  I just think its notable and worth looking at.  

Bottom line here is that the OP is true "NE QB's suck", because if they had Brady with their current roster we'd likely be underdogs this year. 

He's long gone and we win a tough division this year, which I find much more interesting and more satisfying personally.  Makes us a tougher team in the playoffs. 

Not sure if I missed it the first time but the at least equal was where I'm at.  That means they are pretty good at a lot of other position groups (cause I think were pretty good). 

I also agree they will be tougher for us this year (even said in this thread I wouldnt be surprised if they take a game from us this year) simply because of how good they are against the pass and their strength of running is our weakness.  I don't know how much of their offseason improvement will translate to their record though as I see the Jets providing much more trouble for them (whereas we should scorch their awful secondary).

I appreciate you were trying to pop some bubbles of folks laughing at the Pats.  I am still getting some schadenfraude out of similar their offseason talking points have been to our talking points of the past 2 decades.  So while I think they will be better this year (and again Im a bit skeptical it will translate to their record), I think it may be a rough couple years for them.  

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 8:32 AM, P Riv said:

There's many scenarios, but what I keep coming back to is that we have a superstar QB1 and WR1, solid WR's overall, and NE is better at every other position group on both sides of the ball.  All of our eggs are in one basket (passing game, JA17 being a superstar).  To me, thats pretty one dimensional and fragile.  

If NE gets somewhere between decent and "good" QB play, they will be a very tough out.  I expect to win the division, but its going to be tough and a lot can go wrong.  

So here's what I said almost 4 months ago.  Wtf do I know... Lots of Homerism in this thread.    

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, P Riv said:

So here's what I said almost 4 months ago.  Wtf do I know... Lots of Homerism in this thread.    

Wasn't your prediction predicated on Cam Newton looking good at the time, Nostradamus? 

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Wasn't your prediction predicated on Cam Newton looking good at the time, Nostradamus? 

No, I was referring to this and I should have highlighted:

" All of our eggs are in one basket (passing game, JA17 being a superstar).  To me, that's pretty one dimensional and fragile. "

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.