Critical Race Theory

On 6/24/2021 at 2:04 AM, Capco said:

Oh hey look.  Another 2 pages of Rah-Rah shouting (I'm too tired to go into specifics rn but I have been watching this thread).

@Tiberius I tried to give you a quick run-down of what I objectively thought were serious flaws in the structure of Critical Race Theory (CRT) while avoiding a full-flung description of the entire thing (since idk, you seem to be on a major time crunch maybe?).  

Considering that we are typically on the same side of things, I figured that you would give me the benefit of the doubt when it came to the parts of CRT that I did not comment on (i.e., the parts that are worthy of merit). 

But that is specifically why I quoted you at the very beginning of my statement, after you said you didn't know anything about CRT.  I was trying to loosely educate you (within the realm of what I myself know), while also challenging your rational thought.  

Like, I'm begging for someone to actually provide a rational response to my post earlier.  I want to learn more.  

So far, the best, most well-written commentary provided after my post was provided by Ben ***** Shapiro. 

Do you have any idea what that makes me feel like as someone who is routinely called a communist?

If it is bad history, then it will not stand the test of rigorous scrutiny. This is a good debate to have for the country. And history being what it is there is of course going to be disagreements about how to present the past. African Americans and Native Americans are of course going to see things differently from those that benefited so much from this country. And no group of people (White, black or whatever) are going to agree among themselves. Like they say about historical events, there is no one history of say, the Battle of Gettysburg, there are thousands, as each person there and later those that studied it all saw and felt different things. 

And yes, I am not totally into the debate here, life calls! So sorry if I missed something you posted or stated. 

Damn you all-Pro for breaking up 9 in a row. I've gotten 11 before from B-Man but still 9 is an above average moment. Doc and BillsTime you really got in the way of excellence. We could have had a new record. Work with me people! Support the spamming of PPP!

This does not violate the TOS. @SDS is a huge fan of the PPP board and supports efforts like B-Man's to spam the board with pastes from other sites. Let's see who can top B-Man's 11 in a row.

We can do this. YES THIS IS A CAMPAIGN! 

image.thumb.png.f0502e93209b52dc384a83c880dfc178.png

image.thumb.png.408a006a82561a7ac9e02ac8b81e6f3d.png

Edited by John Adams

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

If it is bad history, then it will not stand the test of rigorous scrutiny. This is a good debate to have for the country. And history being what it is there is of course going to be disagreements about how to present the past. African Americans and Native Americans are of course going to see things differently from those that benefited so much from this country. And no group of people (White, black or whatever) are going to agree among themselves. Like they say about historical events, there is no one history of say, the Battle of Gettysburg, there are thousands, as each person there and later those that studied it all saw and felt different things. 

And yes, I am not totally into the debate here, life calls! So sorry if I missed something you posted or stated. 

The 'talking past each other' continues in full force.  The concern is not about teaching history.  The concern is if/when taught as they'd like, what do the proponents of CRT want anyone to do with this new found 'enlightenment'? Care to offer a theory about that?

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

I believe in accurate teaching of history not CRT from what little I know about it.

And you don't believe that children today are being taught that black people were historically treated badly?  Of course they are!  The issue is that CRT doesn't stop there.  I'm sorry, but this is not about an accurate account of history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Let me just focus on one specific part then.

Why does an accurate, thorough accounting of history require examining it through a lens that challenges and critiques concepts like legal equality, colorblindness, role modeling, and the merit principle?  I ask because that is (part of) CRT.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

#CHINUHSTRONG

GOP is mad that the left is over-using government authority, so it flexes some government authority. Simply genius.

PA following Florida's lead here. Now if only the GOP could get rid of those pesky elections. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, John Adams said:

GOP is mad that the left is over-using government authority, so it flexes some government authority. Simply genius.

PA following Florida's lead here. Now if only the GOP could get rid of those pesky elections. 

But don't you DARE touch the second amendment but the GQP can trample all over the first amendment and voting rights.

Fthem 

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

But don't you DARE touch the second amendment but the GQP can trample all over the first amendment and voting rights.

Fthem 

How is asking for photo ID to vote trampling on voting right? 

You need an ID to buy beer, cigarettes, go to a strip club

For the safety of our country, I think it's pretty straightforward why ID to vote is a good idea.. 

Only legal citizens can vote.. that's how you could find out if they're legal citizens

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

Fthem 

FU

You only have the ‘right’ to vote if you can PROVE you have the right to vote and have only exercised that right once per election ....period.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Capco said:

Let me just focus on one specific part then.

Why does an accurate, thorough accounting of history require examining it through a lens that challenges and critiques concepts like legal equality, colorblindness, role modeling, and the merit principle?  I ask because that is (part of) CRT.

For the same reason that you need to examine Climate Change through the lens of Feminism...

This really didn’t go very well.

So if attacks on Biden’s successful vaccination response and the “big lie” are not helping them sway voters, how is the GOP’s latest made-up controversy, critical race theory, working out? For starters, most voters do not know what Republicans are yammering about. The Politico-Morning Consult poll found that 19 percent have a favorable view of critical race theory, and 52 percent admit they either do not have an opinion or have never heard of it. Fewer than 30 percent have a negative or somewhat negative view of the obscure academic theory. Even among Republicans and Republican-leaners, 44 percent have no opinion or never heard of it.

So he’s saying that whites are still the oppressors. 

Pat Robertson says critical race theory is "a monstrous evil" that is urging people of color to "rise up and overtake their oppressors" so that once they've "gotten the whip handle," they'll then "instruct their white neighbors how to behave." 

13 minutes ago, Governor said:

So he’s saying that whites are still the oppressors. 

Pat Robertson says critical race theory is "a monstrous evil" that is urging people of color to "rise up and overtake their oppressors" so that once they've "gotten the whip handle," they'll then "instruct their white neighbors how to behave." 

As someone who’s sat through the content, most parents don’t know about it because it’s only being introduced beyond universities, in public schools and corporate environments where diversity and inclusion are in overhaul. That presents the optics of deliberately aiming for children at a vulnerable level.  In the corporate outing I attended, I came away completely convinced the theory is flawed and destructive, as it was delivered to my entire team.  I cannot begin to fathom a child wrapping their heads around such content, no matter how well it’s delivered.  And I say this being a registered Dem, although I’m admittedly moderate.  I’ll also say that seeing how grossly it’s being misrepresented by the media and even people I personally voted for, it’s made me operate with a much higher level of scrutiny over where I get my information, which I recommend to everyone.  There’s awful stuff being reported from both sides, that is baseless.  But yea, CRT is no bueno!  

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

As someone who’s sat through the content, most parents don’t know about it because it’s only being introduced beyond universities, in public schools and corporate environments where diversity and inclusion are in overhaul. That presents the optics of deliberately aiming for children at a vulnerable level.  In the corporate outing I attended, I came away completely convinced the theory is flawed and destructive, as it was delivered to my entire team.  I cannot begin to fathom a child wrapping their heads around such content, no matter how well it’s delivered.  And I say this being a registered Dem, although I’m admittedly moderate.  I’ll also say that seeing how grossly it’s being misrepresented by the media and even people I personally voted for, it’s made me operate with a much higher level of scrutiny over where I get my information, which I recommend to everyone.  There’s awful stuff being reported from both sides, that is baseless.  But yea, CRT is no bueno!  

I don’t think I have a say in it whatsoever. It’s not my place. I’m the oppressor, not the oppressed. It’s not up to me how it’s delivered. If that’s how people view it and the information is historically and factually correct, I don’t have any problems with it. It’s above my pay grade to make those decisions. 

The country has an ugly history and it obviously did great harm by white-washing it all of these years.

I’ve only read the parts that discuss economic impacts so far.