Bills prospect OT Liam Eichenberg

On 4/4/2021 at 10:03 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Well plenty of other teams ignore this and take other positions in Round 1.

You talk the Chiefs up a lot but they took a RB in Round 1 last year .

Im also actually saying the opposite of drafting for need by the way...

I've never based my draft philosophy off of what one team does...........they all make tactical errors...........case in point.......I've liked all of the players that McBeane have chosen in the first round.........but they reached up for need for Cody Ford. 

I was thrilled when the Chiefs chose Edwards-Helaire.   Bad decision.  All teams make bad decisions.   Doesn't make them NOT bad decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

Just going to put this out there because I want it on the record.

If you ask me to pick a player from this draft class, that isn't a quarterback, to make the Hall of Fame, it's Liam Eichenberg.

Yeah I see his ceiling as a more agile version of Andrew Whitworth.............who IMO would be a lock HOF'er if he had played in a big market or on a great team during his prime.

Whitworth played a lot of guard early in his career before becoming a very good LT.........which is likely how Eichenberg would start out in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/4/2021 at 10:49 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Liam Neeson??

Yeah, but Gallagher.

On 4/5/2021 at 12:50 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

The much more important aspect wrt drafting him in round 1 is that he's not a LT prospect, IMO.

The part about him playing past the whistle is just part of his comp to Ford..........who has been a disappointment to say the least.

He hasn't been a disappointment. If anything he's been unable to be unevaluated. First they put him in the wrong position for a year. Then they switched him in a year with no offseason. Then they switched him again to the other side, which is a huge adjustment. Then he was injured.

He should be a good one as long as he doesn't turn out to be injury-prone. He has to prove it, but looks like he'll be good if they put him in one position - inside - and let him get used to it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Dislike 1

17 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

If you ask me to pick a player from this draft class, that isn't a quarterback, to make the Hall of Fame, it's Liam Eichenberg.

Wow. Hunh.

• Agree 1

On 3/31/2021 at 9:39 PM, Special K said:

Why? He’s not Travis Kelce, but he’s a nasty run blocker, can play TE or H-back, and is a capable pass catcher....worth a mid-round pick, IMO.

He’s not just nasty run blocker he’s a freaking BEAST of a blocker, unfortunately we don’t have a 4th round pick this year 

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’ll say this - if they pass on this guy because of Cody Ford and he turns into an All Pro, that will make THREE All Pro players - Metcalf, Teller and Liam - passed up on for the sake of Cody Ford.  Would be a damn shame.

I'd argue the reason they let Teller go had less to do with Ford and more to do with Boettger, Bates and Spain/Long.

1 hour ago, Putin said:

He’s not just nasty run blocker he’s a freaking BEAST of a blocker, unfortunately we don’t have a 4th round pick this year 

I'm guessing he would have to be picked with pick 93, but I wouldn't have a problem with the Bills taking him there.

On 4/9/2021 at 10:57 AM, Blokestradamus said:

Out of curiosity, what do you see in him that makes you believe that?  

I like his aggression and he looks to be a good prospect, but after watching him against Clemson and Alabama this year, I am not sure that he is a great LT prospect.  I still think he can go late 1st/anywhere in 2nd.

Bills’ are sitting in a position where they will really have to show their scouting acumen to make good selections.  

On 4/10/2021 at 4:30 AM, Thurman#1 said:He should be a good one as long as he doesn't turn out to be injury-prone. He has to prove it, but looks like he'll be good if they put him in one position - inside - and let him get used to it.

I think he can be good, not great. I question his mobility on pull plays and whether he can lead block in open space. Seems to have pretty good power when it comes to pushing the pile, but even that isn’t spectacular. He could be a decent guy though when it comes to pass protecting for Josh Allen, good if not solid player, will never be very good let alone elite. Good enough in the sense that we don’t have to draft OL this year unless there’s a spectacular player there. He’s not a bad player, just not overly wowed away by him.

On 4/11/2021 at 12:06 AM, OldTimer1960 said:

Out of curiosity, what do you see in him that makes you believe that?  

I like his aggression and he looks to be a good prospect, but after watching him against Clemson and Alabama this year, I am not sure that he is a great LT prospect.  I still think he can go late 1st/anywhere in 2nd.

I value technical proficiency very highly and I think Eichenberg is as technically proficient an offensive tackle as I've ever scouted. I felt like I had to really delve into his technique to find little issues because he's such a clean prospect. If he can work out a solution where he stops his left foot getting a little wide in some of his pass sets, I don't see anything that he does that isn't somewhere between above average to elite.

Run blocking, I think he's scheme diverse. He needs to cut out a few lazy plays where he leans on people. For anyone that doesn't consider him athletic enough, just watch him reach blocking, it's a thing of beauty. The only prospect in the run game that I've compared to Joe Thomas without even a hint of hyperbole.

I am out on a limb with Eichenberg and I know it. I've spoken to around a dozen people that I know who do this for work or as a hobby and only one has him in their top 5 players in the class. For me, he's my #1 player.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I value technical proficiency very highly and I think Eichenberg is as technically proficient an offensive tackle as I've ever scouted. I felt like I had to really delve into his technique to find little issues because he's such a clean prospect. If he can work out a solution where he stops his left foot getting a little wide in some of his pass sets, I don't see anything that he does that isn't somewhere between above average to elite.

Run blocking, I think he's scheme diverse. He needs to cut out a few lazy plays where he leans on people. For anyone that doesn't consider him athletic enough, just watch him reach blocking, it's a thing of beauty. The only prospect in the run game that I've compared to Joe Thomas without even a hint of hyperbole.

I am out on a limb with Eichenberg and I know it. I've spoken to around a dozen people that I know who do this for work or as a hobby and only one has him in their top 5 players in the class. For me, he's my #1 player.

I agree with most of the analysis.... I mean I am not close to #1 player status but I have a borderline 1st on him. My slight concerns are foot speed and initial punch in pass pro and I just worry a tad about ceiling. He is very technically advanced I agree and he will be a 10 year starter in the NFL - I think he could play guard but he is a plug and play left tackle for me. I just wonder how much more development there is there. But he is definitely a top 5 tackle prospect. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with most of the analysis.... I mean I am not close to #1 player status but I have a borderline 1st on him. My slight concerns are foot speed and initial punch in pass pro and I just worry a tad about ceiling. He is very technically advanced I agree and he will be a 10 year starter in the NFL - I think he could play guard but he is a plug and play left tackle for me. I just wonder how much more development there is there. But he is definitely a top 5 tackle prospect. 

Given that I'm of the opinion that his floor is exceptionally high, I don't worry about his ceiling but I understand it. It almost feels like 'maxed out Notre Dame OL' is the new Alabama DL trope because they're exposed to such effective coaching.

Theoretically, I think he can suffice playing anywhere but center in terms of his skill set. Whether he could effectively get the muscle memory down to switch sides/positions, I couldn't even guess but I think he's left tackle material, obviously. I don't even want the Bills to draft him in a way, because I want to watch him flourish at LT.

• Like (+1) 1