The Food That Built America

Royale with Cheese

If you guys haven't seen it, it's on the History Channel and it's a docuseries about how major food companies started up and there impact on the US.

It's really good and the stories are pretty amazing.

CW Post was a patient at a mental asylum that was ran by Dr. Kellogg.  When Post was released, he stole the Kellogg's recipe for cereal and then started Post!

Pemberton was a morphine addict who was experimenting with new ways to kill pain....then came up with Coke in his basement.

If you guys like historical stuff like this, I highly recommend it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you guys haven't seen it, it's on the History Channel and it's a docuseries about how major food companies started up and there impact on the US.

CW Post was a patient at a mental asylum that was ran by Dr. Kellogg.  When Post was released, he stole the Kellogg's recipe for cereal and then started Post!

Pemberton was a morphine addict who was experimenting with new ways to kill pain....then came up with Coke in his basement.

Good call- this is an excellent series which I would also highly recommend - they are on season 2 right now (Sunday night, History Channel) and every episode from each season has been interesting. I find it really cool to see how some of these innovations came about and how turns in history like world wars and the Great Depression twisted fate and gave us products that we all know and love today. Whether it is how General Foods became a food powerhouse to the success of the Reeces' peanut butter cup to Pizza hut, they are some cool stories and presented very well - I love this show. History is reenacted and there is commentary from a variety of people from university professors to RZA from Wu Tang.

Very cool show.  Working in Beverage Manufacturing, a ton of the same principles apply (pasteurization, can seaming, etc) all still used 100+ years later.  It was funny seeing what soup flavors were popular at the turn of the century. Cream of Pea, Beefsteak Tomato.  Campbell’s just stealing Heinz’s soup platform and condensing it, which wasn’t a hot seller until they got the award from Paris. That gold seal is still going on the cans from the 1900 Worlds Trades Fair.  Amazing.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve really been enjoying this series.

If you like this series and haven’t already seen it, you would also enjoy their “the men who built America” series. Same concept as the “food that built America” show, but it focuses on other industries (like oil, railroads, automobiles, etc).

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

Good call- this is an excellent series which I would also highly recommend - they are on season 2 right now (Sunday night, History Channel) and every episode from each season has been interesting. I find it really cool to see how some of these innovations came about and how turns in history like world wars and the Great Depression twisted fate and gave us products that we all know and love today. Whether it is how General Foods became a food powerhouse to the success of the Reeces' peanut butter cup to Pizza hut, they are some cool stories and presented very well - I love this show. History is reenacted and there is commentary from a variety of people from university professors to RZA from Wu Tang.

The ruthless nature of the business men back then was incredible.  Literally just steal from you and market the product.

Candler gave Pemberton's wife and child $3,000 for the exclusive rights to the Coke recipe.  They were poor and $3,000 was nothing they have seen before....they just weren't educated enough to understand.  The guy who invented the syrup made nothing from it....crazy!

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The ruthless nature of the business men back then was incredible.  Literally just steal from you and market the product.

Candler gave Pemberton's wife and child $3,000 for the exclusive rights to the Coke recipe.  They were poor and $3,000 was nothing they have seen before....they just weren't educated enough to understand.  The guy who invented the syrup made nothing from it....crazy!

That's like when Whaley traded Indy Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think you leave out one of the more interesting parts of the story.

Kellogg was a Seventh-day Adventist until mid-life, and gained fame while being the chief medical officer of the Battle Creek Sanitarium, which was owned and operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. The sanitarium was operated based on the church's health principles. Adventists believe in promoting a vegetarian diet, abstinence from alcohol and tobacco, and a regimen of exercise, all of which Kellogg followed. He is remembered as an advocate of vegetarianism[40] and wrote in favor of it, even after leaving the Adventist Church.[41] His dietary advice in the late 19th century discouraged meat-eating, but not emphatically so. His development of a bland diet was driven in part by the Adventist goal of reducing sexual stimulation.[42]

Corn flakes, and by extension, the whole breakfast cereal industry we know today was all a vain attempt to get you furry palmed perverts stop ***** so effing much.  

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ve really been enjoying this series.

If you like this series and haven’t already seen it, you would also enjoy their “the men who built America” series. Same concept as the “food that built America” show, but it focuses on other industries (like oil, railroads, automobiles, etc).

Just to think someday they will be talking about the “old technology” called smartphones.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When Otto Schnering came up with his candy bar he asked Babe Ruth for his name to market it but the Bambino wanted too much money  so he called it Baby Ruth. Then when Babe Ruth made his own candy bar, Schnering SUED HIM FOR USING HIS OWN NAME  - AND WON! That's  some serious balls...as Adam Richman said on the show, it would be like marketing your line of Indian sauces under the name Stef Curry....

I'm glad to see other people like this show  - hard to explain that I watched an hour show on how Kraft developed shelf stable cheese and found it fascinating...

Edited by The Avenger
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I think you leave out one of the more interesting parts of the story.

Corn flakes, and by extension, the whole breakfast cereal industry we know today was all a vain attempt to get you furry palmed perverts stop ***** so effing much.  

The MF’er never had sex with his wife.  He believed in abstinence.  Weirdo.

I haven't bumped into this show, but will definitely look for it based on all these reviews.

Sounds interesting, and is probably a better use of my time than The Curse of Oak Island, which never seems to find anything of substance and it's just the same disappointments over and over and over again.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.