I'm pretty sure canals are no parking zones

WhoTom

I have found this story fascinating since the beginning, and have gone as far as looking at the canal in google map satellite view, finding the exact spot where the ship is blocking the canal to better understand the situation, and so on.

A giant ship has become stuck in the mud, it's blocking an important area for world commerce with tremendous negative effect, and no one knows for sure how to best get the damned thing out of there.  And it's not going to happen any time soon, either.  

What a mess, yet so simple at its core.  There's a certain beauty to it.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have found this story fascinating since the beginning, and have gone as far as looking at the canal in google map satellite view, finding the exact spot where the ship is blocking the canal to better understand the situation, and so on.

A giant ship has become stuck in the mud, it's blocking an important area for world commerce with tremendous negative effect, and no one knows for sure how to best get the damned thing out of there.  And it's not going to happen any time soon, either.  

What a mess, yet so simple at its core.  There's a certain beauty to it.

Thing is, it wasn't just the "mud."  I read the bow was stuck on rock.  FWIW...

Not really simple... Try to get it unstuck one way, it gets stuck deeper the other way.   Or, like trying to go through a 3 foot door opening with a 5 foot 2x4 length wise.  The ship is 300m long, the width of the canal is 203m.

Ships are simply getting too big for it... They probably need to dig an emergency lane? 😉

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2021/03/29/suez-cargo-ship-ever-given-viral-app-boston-public-library-curator/amp

"The enormous cargo ship plugging up the Suez Canal was set free after nearly a week Monday, but now you can customize your own catastrophic global blockage of world trade thanks to a web app made by a staffer at the Boston Public Library.

If that floats your boat.

Garrett Dash Nelson, a curator at the library’s Leventhal Map & Education Center, whipped up the applet Sunday morning between cups of coffee. It lets you place an aerial image of the Ever Given over satellite imagery anywhere. ..."

FYI: @BringBackFergy @Gugny

I am hard @ work calculating what it would cost Gugny to bring his 16' deep-V boat through the Suez Canal south from the Mediterranean Sea.

Let me know if my numbers are correct.  Lowest I can enter is 1m draft and 1 ton each for Suez Canal Net Tonnage (SCNT) and 1 ton for Gross Vessel Tonnage (GRT)...

https://www.wilhelmsen.com/tollcalculators/suez-toll-calculator/

The bad news is Gug, your transit toll will be: $6,465.38.  BUT, the good news is, your dingy qualifies for a 65% rebate! You save: $3,555.96! for a grand total toll of:

$2,909.42!

Good deal!!!!

Happy sailing 💓!

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

FYI: @BringBackFergy @Gugny

I am hard @ work calculating what it would cost Gugny to bring his 16' deep-V boat through the Suez Canal south from the Mediterranean Sea.

Let me know if my numbers are correct.  Lowest I can enter is 1m draft and 1 ton each for Suez Canal Net Tonnage (SCNT) and 1 ton for Gross Vessel Tonnage (GRT)...

https://www.wilhelmsen.com/tollcalculators/suez-toll-calculator/

The bad news is Gug, your transit toll will be: $6,465.38.  BUT, the good news is, your dingy qualifies for a 65% rebate! You save: $3,555.96! for a grand total toll of:

$2,909.42!

Good deal!!!!

Happy sailing 💓!

My dingy is worth much more than that!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My dingy is worth much more than that!

The Middle East doesn’t penalize average Joe’s like you and me for operating a bass boat...unlike our own Government. Try driving a 16’ bass boat through a US canal; lock tenders bellyache all day and start ordering you around. Hoping there’s a good bass population in the Suez. 

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

The Middle East doesn’t penalize average Joe’s like you and me for operating a bass boat...unlike our own Government. Try driving a 16’ bass boat through a US canal; lock tenders bellyache all day and start ordering you around. Hoping there’s a good bass population in the Suez. 

😆... But there's no tolls at any Federal lock in the US! Industry pays the fees for the average Joe.  😉😜😘  Getting ordered around is better free!

You can take your chances in Somalia 🇸🇴 or Yemen 🇾🇪

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.