Bills have Iowa WR prospect Ihmir Smith-Marsette ranked high??

DJB

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

If they can replace their returner in the draft - and also get some of the gadget functionality in the same player that would be a win.  I think Sanders was brought in so that they aren't massively increasing davis snap counts.  The lack of a new TE so far to me indicates that they'll continue to use davis in a flex type of role around the backfield - but aren't entirely plugging him in as a #2.  They have super bowl aspirations, and while davis has proven to be a nice piece - a veteran super bowl winner is a nice addition for a playoff run.

Agree, the biggest hole the team has right now is no kick returner, so drafting a guy who has a fair amount of experience as a return guy would fill that need.

I'm sure many here are underwhelmed in our TE pickup, but considering we were the 2nd highest team that went with 4 WR, can see the logic in not investing huge $$'s in a TE when they still do have a guy who could develop into a good one in Knox.  Knox has struggled, but he certainly has some traits that can't be taught  like size, strength and speed.  Likely want one more year to see what he can do as the #1 TE before ready to give up on him. 

Having said that, they do need a decent 5th WR so they can go 4 wide even in games when one of the top 4 is out injured.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Good...They should have interest in him...

They should also have interest in Jaelon Darden and Anthony Schwartz.

The Bills can create some really nice match-up problems for Defenses with the added speed one of the WR's would bring...B-)

• DJB changed the title to Bills have Iowa WR prospect Ihmir Smith-Marsette ranked high??

After Rondale Moore's pro day today I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks into the 1st round. If the Bills want to take a chance on him they probably can't wait until their original pick in the 2nd. Smith-Marsette wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. I'm sure they'll draft some WR with speed that they can at least use as a gadget player this year.

Just now, HappyDays said:

After Rondale Moore's pro day today I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks into the 1st round. If the Bills want to take a chance on him they probably can't wait until their original pick in the 2nd. Smith-Marsette wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. I'm sure they'll draft some WR with speed that they can at least use as a gadget player this year.

At 5’7??? Hard pass on that for me. 

3 hours ago, buffalostu2 said:

Is he quick enough to replace Mckenzie?   He has great hands but I didn't see really special movement skills.   Aren't there other guys who are quicker and faster in the draft like Rondale Moore?

here is a draft network writeup.  Mentions "speed" and "track background" 

"Iowa wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette can, for the right offense, be quite the steal in the 2021 NFL Draft. Smith-Marsette brings ample speed, return skills, and vertical receiving to the game, and his production at the University of Iowa isn’t necessarily the best indicator or how talented he actually is—especially given that his open targets were much too often left short or hung in the air long enough to draw defenders back into the play. Smith-Marsette brings a track background to the field and it shows. He’s a graceful runner with easy speed and is at his best when he’s charged with stacking defenders vertically. The Hawkeyes did manufacture some touches for Smith-Marsette courtesy of tunnel screens, double reverses, jet motions and touch passes. He was highly productive on a per-touch basis and, despite some of his limitations in functional strength and size, should find success in a vertical passing offense at the next level. It is worth noting that Smith-Marsette was arrested on Nov. 1, 2020 for speeding and operating a vehicle while intoxicated, plus saw his playing career come to an unceremonious end with a celebratory front flip on a touchdown that resulted in an ankle injury that shelved him for the rest of Iowa’s 2020 campaign."