Is Beane all but done with FA?

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Thus far, the Bills have made zero upgrades to the starting roster.  Nothing to improve the pass rush.  Nothing to improve the run defense.  Nothing to improve our coverage on the back end.  If the season started today, we might as well concede the AFC to Kansas City.  Sorry for the brutal honestly.  But we aren't good enough to beat them.

The alternative is essentially just rearranging furniture.

You upgrade CB2, DE and DT through FA while simultaneously leaving 2 starting OL spots and LB open. 

They haven’t gotten worse... they’re the same team as last year with the opportunity to improve moving forward. It’s the same discussion if we let Milano, Williams and Feliciano walk and bringing in Ngakoue, Fuller and Dalvin Tomlinson... the difference is fans get excited about new shiny toys as opposed to running it back with the same group. There’s nothing to say Ngakoue, Fuller and Tomlinson help us take that next step if we downgrade other positions and can’t fill them or fill them through the draft. It’s a net gain of zero.. so why wouldn’t you function with the known quantity and continue to build on it? It’s a good thing the season doesn’t start today and there’s still the draft and weeks of free agency to improve. 

Let me be clear... I agree we need to beat the Chiefs... but let’s pump the breaks on freaking out because we’re returning a 13-3 team. 

Love the idea of conceding before games are played too... why even play them at all right? Let’s just do fantasy free agency all year long... see who has the best roster on paper and crown them champions! 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

This is assuming that every position holds the same value.... which would obviously be wrong.

Well all of your scenarios assume that everyone we bring in at DE, WR, etc. makes an impact and is an improvement that elevates the team.. which would obviously be wrong as well. 

That’s what your whole crusade is predicated on. 

Edited by JGMcD2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I’ve suggested cutting dead weight and bringing in better players....not sure how that doesn’t make the team better....

That’s assuming they maintain the same level of play and success they’ve had elsewhere prior. 

Both of us are doing a lot of assuming apparently, Scott. 

21 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He may not want to be but the cap money says he’s pretty much done.  The dream restructures people are hoping for probably won’t happen.  Beane said he doesn’t really want to do that.  

Understand, but that was not so much my point... Beane  appears to be in a perpetual state of trying to find the next helpful acquisition that helps the team, while not upsetting the apple cart that is the finances that underpin the whole thing. 

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I am expecting a rare player for player trade, something that lowers the cap yet brings buffalo a younger player.

I'd didn't mention that option but I think it's something Beane is looking into.

a player for player swap is definitely a good move for wise GMs this year.

Thanks for confirming something that just may happen before Beane goes into depth players and the draft!

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

You upgrade CB2, DE and DT through FA while simultaneously leaving 2 starting OL spots and LB open. 

They haven’t gotten worse... they’re the same team as last year with the opportunity to improve moving forward. It’s the same discussion if we let Milano, Williams and Feliciano walk and bringing in Ngakoue, Fuller and Dalvin Tomlinson... the difference is fans get excited about new shiny toys as opposed to running it back with the same group. There’s nothing to say Ngakoue, Fuller and Tomlinson help us take that next step if we downgrade other positions and can’t fill them or fill them through the draft. It’s a net gain of zero.. so why wouldn’t you function with the known quantity and continue to build on it? It’s a good thing the season doesn’t start today and there’s still the draft and weeks of free agency to improve. 

Let me be clear... I agree we need to beat the Chiefs... but let’s pump the breaks on freaking out because we’re returning a 13-3 team. 

Love the idea of conceding before games are played too... why even play them at all right? Let’s just do fantasy free agency all year long... see who has the best roster on paper and crown them champions! 

I would also mention a point joe Marino has made. There are several young players that are primed to take a step up and if they do that will material difference to the team because of their position. They include Josh (still has room to hit his ceiling), Ed, Tremaine, Knox, Epenesa. If two of these take a step forward then we will have a much better team. 

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just makes more sense to me to try and improve areas where you struggled all year rather than go with the same group... part of me understands giving the same group another shot, but they shouldn't be surprised if the overall results are the same or worse.

I don't like what I saw from the Bills defensively beginning with the Colts. Everything became so transparent, and now we have the same core group and it scares me. The Bills need an infusion of speed, tenacity, and playmakers to augment this core. Everyone will be gunning for the Bills this time around...making it much more difficult.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I guess where i am concerned (or maybe just dont know how things worked) is it seems we are so low we dont even have enough to to sign our draft picks.   There was a date of when contracts could be restructured has that day come and passed?

It’s not gonna take much to sign draft picks because the rule of 51. The numbers for the contracts are known as well. I assume beane didn’t make that gaffe. 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Every team in the league can say this... including the Chiefs, Ravens, Bucs, Packers. 

Start with the chiefs. CEH, thorn hill, and hard man all seem to be pretty near their peak. Compare that to a top 10 player like Ed Or a first round pick like Tremaine. Better counter is to say they are gonna bust but I think we have a good bit (more than most teams) of untapped potential on our team. 

Edited by YattaOkasan

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

There needs to be a happy medium.

I've never advocated that we splurge on the big name free agents.  I'm not saying we should overspend, or mortgage our future.  But there are going to be plenty of bargain guys, who are asking for a fair price, who can absolutely help us.  The question asked in the OP was whether we should just start looking to the draft.  And I believe that would be a huge mistake.

It's just like with your personal finances.  Smart people know how to save and invest.  They make sure not to get deep into debt, and always try to make good decisions with money.  But you can also go too far the other way, and become so frugal that you never take advantage of the savings you have created.

It's all about balance.  There are foolish things we could do, which would do nothing but put us into salary cap problems 2-3 years from now.  But there are also safe/reasonable restructures that can be done, which would give us the ability to pull in 1-2 decent vets this season.  The Bills are in a position to compete for a Super Bowl now.  And we know where we need to improve to take the next step.  There is no reason we should go into the 2021 season with the same defensive starting lineup.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just makes more sense to me to try and improve areas where you struggled all year rather than go with the same group... part of me understands giving the same group another shot, but they shouldn't be surprised if the overall results are the same or worse.

They are taking more of a risk going with some of the same guys rather than cutting them and attempting to upgrade, IMO.

You can’t improve the deficiencies without retaining the same group. 

They’re not taking more of a risk... it’s honestly the safer route IMO. You’re going with a 13-3 roster and still haven’t even gone through the draft yet. Still plenty of time to improve deficiencies... 

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

There needs to be a happy medium.

I've never advocated that we splurge on the big name free agents.  I'm not saying we should overspend, or mortgage our future.  But there are going to be plenty of bargain guys, who are asking for a fair price, who can absolutely help us.  The question asked in the OP was whether we should just start looking to the draft.  And I believe that would be a huge mistake.

It's just like with your personal finances.  Smart people know how to save and invest.  They make sure not to get deep into debt, and always try to make good decisions with money.  But you can also go too far the other way, and become so frugal that you never take advantage of the savings you have created.

It's all about balance.  There are foolish things we could do, which would do nothing but put us into salary cap problems 2-3 years from now.  But there are also safe/reasonable restructures that can be done, which would give us the ability to pull in 1-2 decent vets this season.  The Bills are in a position to compete for a Super Bowl now.  And we know where we need to improve to take the next step.  There is no reason we should go into the 2021 season with the same defensive starting lineup.

I agree with you... there will be bargain guys to be had... but not right now. So we can’t be sitting here upset that we haven’t reached the point where acquiring bargain type guys is an option. That’s just a timing thing... as much as we want to fast forward to that point haha. 

I also agree we need to improve our defense... but it can be in a variety of ways seeing it’s a fairly player friendly scheme given the player is the right fit. Yes, the defense threw up two duds in the playoffs and struggled early on (like most NFL defenses this year) but when the dust settled they were on the cusp of being a top 10 unit. 

Who is to say we don’t get a L’Jarious Sneed type difference maker in the draft or something that nobody even saw coming except for the front office/ coaching staff? 

43 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They are taking more of a risk going with some of the same guys rather than cutting them and attempting to upgrade, IMO.

How are the Bills going to stop TE's? The Tyreek Hills? Pittman!

6 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Beane needs to nail his top 2 picks and 1 other.

Agree. Outside of CB or RB in the first round I don’t see any other rookie making much impact on the roster. Mostly depth picks. Finding a difference maker at DE or TE is more of a hope they can vs expecting they will. On D we need someone that is a physical, hard hitting LB. 

If we don’t do anything further in FA, I’d take Najee or Etienne if either are there at 30. If not CB is my pick. Then DE, TE, LB and OG/C.  On offense, RB and TE is where we need to add impact players IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Beane is going to make 1-2 "value" signings and resign Ike. Resigning Ike is a no brainer, no reason to lose quality O-line depth on a restricted free agent in a depressed market. As far as other signings I think Beane will add 1-2 vets on the cheap. With the market the way it is right now it could become a "buyers" market and a lot of quality free agents may sign for very affordable deals and that's where Beane will slip in. I can see the D-line adding a vet and the secondary specifically. I wouldn't rule out tight end or O-line depth either.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Agree. Outside of CB or RB in the first round I don’t see any other rookie making much impact on the roster. Mostly depth picks. Finding a difference maker at DE or TE is more of a hope they can vs expecting they will. On D we need someone that is a physical, hard hitting LB. 

If we don’t do anything further in FA, I’d take Najee or Etienne if either are there at 30. If not CB is my pick. Then DE, TE, LB and OG/C.  On offense, RB and TE is where we need to add impact players IMO.

Players that are good against the run and TE's.

I don't know that Beane is ever really done you put a really good player out in front of him he's gonna see what he can do always expect the unexpected from the Wizard Beane ...

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1