Jump to content

Scout Report Jaelan Phillips Edge Miami


Recommended Posts

Jaelan Phillips Edge  6'5  265lbs  #2 Edge player on many lists.

 

Pro's

He has a great swim move

Upper body posture is solid

Really good shedding people.

Long Limbed with good hands

Student of the game. Reads plays well. He does his homework and he has said he loves just watching film on people.

Amazing first step

Size is perfect for the NFL level with room for more growth

Never gives up on plays. He will chase players till out of reach.

He impressed against good teams

 

Con's

Needs to build more upper lower body strength. Not a ton but some.

Lower body technique is a struggle at times

While he did well against agile tackles, he had his struggles against heavier stronger tackle

He tends to loose the edge at times

His hitting the player is soft which is good with hitting QB's in todays NFL but will struggle against Power RB's

Temper..

He does not play mean like the typical DE

 

Who might take him before us?

Giants they are looking for D'Line help but I think at 11 they get Barmore

Jets Who knows what direction they go but this could be one of them. or they could trade this pick.

 

Highlights

 

 

 

Enjoy

 

Eddited

 

Con. 20 games played... its been a while

 

Injury.. Yes he had a major concussion but read what he says.. it scared him as much as it injured him.  He has been working at his game for a long time now with NFL level retired trainers. Injury is not an issue or he would of never been cleared. 

 

Again.. I did not post this to say we should get him.. I am just saying its possible and there are people in these forums that like him for the pick.

 

I respect everyone's opinions on scouts like this... so should you

Edited by PrimeTime101
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He played for UCLA as a freshman, retired from football after suffering a concussion as a sophomore, transferred to Miami and sat out a season, then played 1 year at DE?   So he's played 1 f

We already have him. His name is AJ Epenesa.   The Bills need another vet that has been there and done that. A legitimate terror to a QB.

No, thanks. I want Boogie Basham, better everything.

Tremendous talent. Should probably be the pick if he’s available or based on what he can do on the football field. 
 

the injuries issues are scary.  The fact that he “retired” after his freshman season is also scary.  Worth the risk imo

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Tremendous talent. Should probably be the pick if he’s available or based on what he can do on the football field. 
 

the injuries issues are scary.  The fact that he “retired” after his freshman season is also scary.  Worth the risk imo

 

What are the injury issues and the "retirement" after freshman season?

Link to post
Share on other sites

We already have him. His name is AJ Epenesa.

 

The Bills need another vet that has been there and done that. A legitimate terror to a QB.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beast said:

We already have him. His name is AJ Epenesa.

 

The Bills need another vet that has been there and done that. A legitimate terror to a QB.


Even if they bring in a Vet, they will probably need another guy to replace Murphy and Addison ( likely gone IMO)  ...

 

They need to get younger at the position so I wouldn’t hate another early draft pick.at DE .. not sure if this is the guy though that they should pick...

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

 

He played for UCLA as a freshman, retired from football after suffering a concussion as a sophomore, transferred to Miami and sat out a season, then played 1 year at DE?

 

So he's played 1 full season, and one season at DE, after playing 4 games as a freshman and 6 games as a sophomore?

 

Anything is possible but I'd kind of like to see a guy with more playing experience

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

He is talented, too many concussions. There are some talented smaller school pash rushers later in the draft (can sample, Emerson Smith, Tarron Jackson) that is where I think we will go for it. If we are gonna get better at pass rush it is probably coming through FA this year, IMO.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Tremendous talent. Should probably be the pick if he’s available or based on what he can do on the football field. 
 

the injuries issues are scary.  The fact that he “retired” after his freshman season is also scary.  Worth the risk imo

The Injuries don't scar me... the one was a freak thing. That is why I left that out of cons. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Tremendous talent. Should probably be the pick if he’s available or based on what he can do on the football field. 
 

the injuries issues are scary.  The fact that he “retired” after his freshman season is also scary.  Worth the risk imo

 

This kid has only played 20 games since high school (which was 5 years ago).

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Beast said:

We already have him. His name is AJ Epenesa.

 

The Bills need another vet that has been there and done that. A legitimate terror to a QB.

lol no... This guy is in such a higher class the AJ.

 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

This kid has only played 20 games since high school (which was 5 years ago).

the question is, will longevity be an issue?

18 minutes ago, Beast said:

We already have him. His name is AJ Epenesa.

 

The Bills need another vet that has been there and done that. A legitimate terror to a QB.

I must add.. We are in cap hell. We can't get every player needed through FA. Build through the draft.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

The Injuries don't scar me... the one was a freak thing. That is why I left that out of cons. 


 

The injuries don’t scare you on a guy that retired from college due to concussions?  Huge Con and major Red Flag.

 

The guy has played in 20 games over the last 5 years and most of them at a different position.  Huge con and Red Flag.

 

One year wonder at DE and has injury concerns - looks to be about Epensa level with maybe a bit more speed, but his hands aren’t as good and he has done it for significantly less time than AJ. 

 

I feel about him like AJ - if he falls to us after trading into the 2nd - then fine, but I am not sure with his age and his health concerns he is worthy of a 1st round pick with a potential 5th year option.  Just don’t see him lasting in the NFL.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

lol no... This guy is in such a higher class the AJ.

OL no... He really isn't.

43 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:


Even if they bring in a Vet, they will probably need another guy to replace Murphy and Addison ( likely gone IMO)  ...

 

They need to get younger at the position so I wouldn’t hate another early draft pick.at DE .. not sure if this is the guy though that they should pick...

 

I'll worry about the future in the future. 

 

Right now this team is vying for a Super Bowl Championship. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:


 

The injuries don’t scare you on a guy that retired from college due to concussions?  Huge Con and major Red Flag.

 

The guy has played in 20 games over the last 5 years and most of them at a different position.  Huge con and Red Flag.

 

One year wonder at DE and has injury concerns - looks to be about Epensa level with maybe a bit more speed, but his hands aren’t as good and he has done it for significantly less time than AJ. 

 

I feel about him like AJ - if he falls to us after trading into the 2nd - then fine, but I am not sure with his age and his health concerns he is worthy of a 1st round pick with a potential 5th year option.  Just don’t see him lasting in the NFL.

No it doesn't'''''   you cant predict when the big one comes and just cause hes had a major does not mean he cant take blows to the head.. he would NEVER be medically cleared if that were the case... NEVER by any DR.  I agree with the 20 games.. i could add that.. hes way faster then AJ.. Speed on that first step.. he is quicker and its not even close.

 

BUT... to slam his longevity over that injury is silliness. 

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

OL no... He really isn't.

 

I'll worry about the future in the future. 

 

Right now this team is vying for a Super Bowl Championship. 

I didnt post this to battle as to if we should get him or not.. I posted this to get a better look at a guy we could get.... moving on...

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

This kid has only played 20 games since high school (which was 5 years ago).

 

I did not know this.

 

I was just looking at some highlight tapes. Looks impressive. Only 20 games??

 

What kind of ceiling does he have? I get the concerns whether injury, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

No it doesn't'''''   you cant predict when the big one comes and just cause hes had a major does not mean he cant take blows to the head.. he would NEVER be medically cleared if that were the case... NEVER by any DR.  I agree with the 20 games.. i could add that.. hes way faster then AJ.. Speed on that first step.. he is quicker and its not even close.

 

BUT... to slam his longevity over that injury is silliness. 


 

Right up until he takes on a power RB - which you admit is a con as his technique is not great and has to retire again.

 

His longevity due to the illness (concussions) is part of the issue and basically your Cons list reads like a billion other middling DEs.  He is Shaq Lawson or AJ with less experience.  He has speed, but lacks power and struggled against Tackles that could get a hold of him.

 

Again - he has potential to grow, but the Red Flags are all there that he will be done with Football with another hit.  Why start out with a guy in that boat.  I might take a chance if he was far and away a stud player, but for a guy projected in the late 1st or early 2nd that has a number of flaws - I would let others take that risk.  

Edited by Rochesterfan
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rochesterfan said:


 

Right up until he takes on a power RB - which you admit is a con as his technique is not great and has to retire again.

 

His longevity due to the illness is part of the issue and basically you Cons list reads like a billion other middling DEs.  He is Shaq Lawson or AJ with less experience.  He has speed, but lacks power and struggled against Tackles that could get a hold of him.

 

Again - he has potential to grow, but the Red Flags are all there that he will be done with Football with another hit.  Why start out with a guy in that boat.  I might take a chance if he was far and away a stud player, but for a guy projected in the late 1st or early 2nd that has a number of flaws - I would let others take that risk.  

now thats a conversation to be had. he needs muscle conditioning.. something you get much better of at the elite level.  but yes thats  a con.  as far as that next hit... IF there was the possibility that the next hit could end him do you really think he would be medically cleared? the answer is an easy no. BUT everything else you have said I agree

 

GG 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...