Bills roster: under contract, RFA, UFA (Sal C tweet)

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

McKenzie can take the same top off for 1/3 the money. And he's younger. And he can return punts & kickoffs. And he can come in for sweeps and gadgets. Sorry John and Andre but one guy can replace both of you.

Isaah isn’t on the same level as Brown and Andre is the best return man in the business. 

On 1/28/2021 at 7:13 PM, ScottLaw said:

So long Butler, and Addison. 

Yeah, I know the Bills rotate their D-Line a lot but Mario’s streak of seasons with 9 or more sacks ended.  He’ll turn 34 at the start of the next season, so the reduced sack #’s could be an omen.

On 1/28/2021 at 6:26 PM, Klaus said:

While I agree with most of the name on this list, I think I would downgrade Andre Roberts to the "So Long" category. 

Lifetime numbers

25.8 avg kick return

9.0 avg punt return

Playoff numbers

16.7 avg kick return

4.0 avg punt return

As we saw he cannot be trusted to replace an injured WR, he is not used for jet sweeps, he is a one trick pony, and I don't think the roster spot is worth it anymore. Take a touchback on kickoffs, start at the 25 and trust Josh and the O to move it down field. 

I think Roberts is still a guy worth keeping.  His kickoff return average of 30.0 led the league and he was 7th in punt return average.  He had some kickoff returns out of the end zone that were mistakes but there were at least a couple games where his big return of the opening kick got the team rolling early.  They can be a huge spark.

• Disagree 1

On 1/28/2021 at 6:24 PM, BillsRdue said:

Agreed, my answer would be the same, except I'd say goodbye to Barkley. That noodle arm isn't going to hold up and I don't think he could go .500 if Josh were to miss any time. Lots of solid options out there looking for work that would be an upgrade. If the Panthers make a run at Watson, Teddy B might be a nice #2. If not Brissett, Fitz, Dalton, Tyrod over even Bortles would be upgrades.  

This goes back to a point I’ve mentioned frequently.  I don’t understand how the Rams and Cardinals, competing for playoff spots  had nobodies with zero game experience as their backup QBs.  It’s insane.  The QB position is the most important so you should have a solid backup.  With guys like Mark Sanchez and Leinart still in their mid 30s, I don’t understand why they are no longer in the NFL.  No, they’re not great, but their experienced vets who could fill in for a couple games.

Other than the Saints this season with Winston and the Chiefs with Henne, most teams are ill prepared for an injury to their starting QB.

Heck, I’d even sign a 40+ year old Josh McCown vs guys with little or no experience like Davis Webb and Jake Fromm Stare Farm.  

Regarding Barkley, if the guy couldn’t play, his relationship with Josh should mean nothing,  Bbecause he’s somewhat serviceable and has experience, especially within their system, I think he should be kept around.  

I also can never understand why most NFL teams carry only 2 QBs.  Again, most important position on the team and you’re going to go with an emergency QB if your 2 QBs both get hurt?

33 minutes ago, ColeB said:

This goes back to a point I’ve mentioned frequently.  I don’t understand how the Rams and Cardinals, competing for playoff spots  had nobodies with zero game experience as their backup QBs.  It’s insane.  The QB position is the most important so you should have a solid backup.  With guys like Mark Sanchez and Leinart still in their mid 30s, I don’t understand why they are no longer in the NFL.  No, they’re not great, but their experienced vets who could fill in for a couple games.

Other than the Saints this season with Winston and the Chiefs with Henne, most teams are ill prepared for an injury to their starting QB.

Heck, I’d even sign a 40+ year old Josh McCown vs guys with little or no experience like Davis Webb and Jake Fromm Stare Farm.  

Regarding Barkley, if the guy couldn’t play, his relationship with Josh should mean nothing,  Bbecause he’s somewhat serviceable and has experience, especially within their system, I think he should be kept around.  

I also can never understand why most NFL teams carry only 2 QBs.  Again, most important position on the team and you’re going to go with an emergency QB if your 2 QBs both get hurt?

But, But Cole, isn’t Josh McCown going to be the next head coach for the Texans.  Doooh!  Missed by thiiis much!

39 minutes ago, ganesh said:

may be back up JA

As much as I might wish I do not think so. 

There will be enough teams who will not have solid starting QBs that he will be offered more than Bills would offer.

The cap issues will become much difficult for Bills now even without the reduced CAP levels for this year.

I see a number of guaranteed contracts including 2nd year bonuses.

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Commented in another thread perhaps they should change their D-Line rotation philosophy and prioritize a very good starting 4 as opposed to allocating resources to deeper depth and rotation.... somethings gotta change defensively to beat the Chiefs who dominated the Bills upfront in both match ups.

Two things going forward: you need a true DT1 take the heat off of Oliver (and help in the run D), and you need someone to replace Hughes who must also be accounted for.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Don't think you can get rid of both Hughes and Addison at this point..... and if I had to chose it's def Addison you jettison as Hughes is the better player, IMO.

Unfortunately for Hughes he didn't play for Carolina, so I wouldn't be shocked if they release him and keep Addison. 

Agree they need another solid 1 tech next to Oliver. But if I had to choose on where to allocate resources I'd go with edge rusher over DT. 

Sorry, didn't mean 2021 about replacing Hughes, more like 2022.  Unless Beane has an edge rusher he really likes in this year's draft, that he will most likely have to move up for, I don't see them finding one until 2022.  See my long-winded response earlier up this thread...

On 1/28/2021 at 9:24 PM, BillsRdue said:

Agreed, my answer would be the same, except I'd say goodbye to Barkley. That noodle arm isn't going to hold up and I don't think he could go .500 if Josh were to miss any time. Lots of solid options out there looking for work that would be an upgrade. If the Panthers make a run at Watson, Teddy B might be a nice #2. If not Brissett, Fitz, Dalton, Tyrod over even Bortles would be upgrades.  

Agree.  They can upgrade that spot.

The biggest problem here is Milano.  No replacing him near term and they likely cannot afford to retain him.  Next problem - OL.  Looking at that list, we could be absolutely screwed.  Next season largely depends on how they build thE OL  given this list of FA.  

On 28/01/2021 at 9:24 PM, BillsRdue said:

Bridgewater is too good to be a backup. It's amazing to me that he has difficulty finding work.

He's not amazing or anything, but guys like Jared Goff, Gardner Minshew/Mike Glennon, Drew Lock, Carson Wentz/Jalen Hurts are all starting QBs and if not better, he's at least in the same league as these guys.

Would love it if Fitz ended his career in Buffalo.

On 28/01/2021 at 9:26 PM, Klaus said:

While I agree with most of the name on this list, I think I would downgrade Andre Roberts to the "So Long" category. 

Lifetime numbers

25.8 avg kick return

9.0 avg punt return

Playoff numbers

16.7 avg kick return

4.0 avg punt return

As we saw he cannot be trusted to replace an injured WR, he is not used for jet sweeps, he is a one trick pony, and I don't think the roster spot is worth it anymore. Take a touchback on kickoffs, start at the 25 and trust Josh and the O to move it down field. 

Or just use McKenzie.

Edited by Boxcar

21 hours ago, ColeB said:

I think Roberts is still a guy worth keeping.  His kickoff return average of 30.0 led the league and he was 7th in punt return average.  He had some kickoff returns out of the end zone that were mistakes but there were at least a couple games where his big return of the opening kick got the team rolling early.  They can be a huge spark.

Over 80% of kickoffs are touchbacks. Andre has zero td returns. Did I mention he's 33. McKenzie can do everything Andre does and much more. Do we really need him?

2019-2020

Roberts 3 td rec, 0 rush, 0 ret 

McKenzie 6 rec, 3 rush, 1 ret

Edited by LABILLBACKER