Compensation for Losing a Minority Coach or Executive

I haven’t seen a thread on this topic, but due to a new rule adopted by the league this year, should Leslie Fraser accept a head coaching job the Bills would receive compensatory 3rd Rd picks in both the 2021 and 2022 drafts.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/14/nfl-compensatory-picks-for-minority-coaches-and-executives-explained/

Is there any chance that Daboll has some native ancestry that he hasn’t divulged? 😀

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I haven’t seen a thread on this topic, but due to a new rule adopted by the league this year, should Leslie Fraser accept a head coaching job the Bills would receive compensatory 3rd Rd picks in both the 2021 and 2022 drafts.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/14/nfl-compensatory-picks-for-minority-coaches-and-executives-explained/

Is there any chance that Daboll has some native ancestry that he hasn’t divulged? 😀

In before the politics, but the only thing we’ll receive for Daboll is a bequeathed illustrated guide on the best practices of RPO’s into lineman’s assess.

Leslie, in my opinion, would be an excellent head coach and I really hope he gets a shot.  I hope the NFL’s intentions of making more opportunities continues to inspire young, newly retired players to advance their knowledge as coaches. A lot of players seemed to feel that the NFL’s tendency to re-wash the same coaches every year, was getting old and because of the tendency of GMs to hire this way, young players who have all the potential to coach (and would probably be incredible), opted for positions that were well below their abilities.  I think of Ryans in San Fran and Mayo as two players who in yesterday’s NFL, would’ve been lost in the “unknown commodity “ pool that a lot of ex players get lost in.  I’m excited to see the generation that played, become the generation that coaches the new guys!!!   Moving on from retreads is a great way for that to happen.   Nice post, OP!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

In before the politics, but the only thing we’ll receive for Daboll is a bequeathed illustrated guide on the best practices of RPO’s into lineman’s assess.

In that case Mark Sanchez is the obvious choice as replacement for Daboll at OC.

sanchizefumble.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I actually like this rule more than the Rooney rule / focusing solely on outcomes. There is a development incentive (not that it applied to Leslie - the guy was a HC before)that is built in. The hope is that Equal Opportunities + development incentives will lead eventually to equal outcomes.

That said, Belichick will undoubtedly exploit the hell outa this rule by going all minority assistants. Feel sorry for Josh McDaniels, Jedd Fisch etc.

The 9ers are getting 2 3rds for Saleh being hired.

The Rams should get one as well for Holmes being hired by the Lions.

If the Falcons hire Fontenot as GM, the Saints will get one as well.

The 3rd round is going to need its own day by the time all the hirings are done!

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

Leslie, in my opinion, would be an excellent head coach and I really hope he gets a shot.  I hope the NFL’s intentions of making more opportunities continues to inspire young, newly retired players to advance their knowledge as coaches. A lot of players seemed to feel that the NFL’s tendency to re-wash the same coaches every year, was getting old and because of the tendency of GMs to hire this way, young players who have all the potential to coach (and would probably be incredible), opted for positions that were well below their abilities.  I think of Ryans in San Fran and Mayo as two players who in yesterday’s NFL, would’ve been lost in the “unknown commodity “ pool that a lot of ex players get lost in.  I’m excited to see the generation that played, become the generation that coaches the new guys!!!   Moving on from retreads is a great way for that to happen.   Nice post, OP!

You know Leslie Frazier already had a shot right? He was the head coach of the Vikings, and he was awful.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

You know Leslie Frazier already had a shot right? He was the head coach of the Vikings, and he was awful.

Its almost like a coach couldnt learn from the experience and then do better on his second shot. I wonder if thats ever happened? Oh yea, some guy named Bill Bellycheat

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

Its almost like a coach couldnt learn from the experience and then do better on his second shot. I wonder if thats ever happened? Oh yea, some guy named Bill Bellycheat

Frazier is 61 years old, not in his mid 30's. I'm pretty he's learned all he's gonna learn.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I do, yes.  I’d argue a few have failed there as well.  Still doesn’t change my perspective (or coach Harbaugh who relayed the same opinion) that he should get another shot though.  Imagine a world where if you fail, you don’t get a chance to redeem yourself and try again!?!?!?!  No bueno.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Frat-Train said:

I do, yes.  I’d argue a few have failed there as well.  Still doesn’t change my perspective (or coach Harbaugh who relayed the same opinion) that he should get another shot though.  Imagine a world where if you fail, you don’t get a chance to redeem yourself and try again!?!?!?!  No bueno.

I'm just not sure what he's done to deserve it. He plays a vanilla defensive scheme the rest of the world has long passed by. McDermott has had to take playcalling duties away from him in the past and you think he's HC material? Based on what exactly?

I'm not even convinced they should keep him around as DC.

• Agree 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I'm just not sure what he's done to deserve it. He plays a vanilla defensive scheme the rest of the world has long passed by. McDermott has had to take playcalling duties away from him in the past and you think he's HC material? Based on what exactly?

Respect your opinion, but disagree mightily.  That mid-season adjustment was credited to him, as were the last few years of stellar defensive playing. I think we tend forget those things, when the D plays bad.  His defense plays to their strength.  He was given a ton of over-priced F/A to fill in gaps for guys that were here 2 years or longer, in a year without TC’s, OTA’s and whatnot.  Again, I respect your opinion, but I disagree wholehearted.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

Respect your opinion, but disagree mightily.  That mid-season adjustment was credited to him, as were the last few years of stellar defensive playing. I think we tend forget those things, when the D plays bad.  His defense plays to their strength.  He was given a ton of over-priced F/A to fill in gaps for guys that were here 2 years or longer, in a year without TC’s, OTA’s and whatnot.  Again, I respect your opinion, but I disagree wholehearted.  

THIS to a T. 

Completely changed his pressure packages mid season that has totally changed the defense and gotten them back to form. Ive liked what Leslies done this year.

I dont know that I would hire him as a head coach, but I think hes been great as our D cord. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If there is any racism in hiring coaches and executives it is against Asians and Hispanics.  Where are all the Asian and Hispanic head coaches?  Do you get more picks if you hire an Asian head coach or a Hispanic head coach.  They do make up 20% of the population but only 1 head coach.

Kudos to the Bills for having an Asian woman that is President of the team.

Edited by BITE ME

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think he’s an average DC, who coaches a defense that benefits from McD’s input. We seem to hit a rough patch on defense every season, then it miraculously improves. I’ve always attributed that to McD increasing his role when we struggle. I don’t dislike Frazier, he seems like a great guy and perfect “process” type coach. I also think he’s a Dick Jauron type head coach in every sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like the idea of it. Especially when you still see so much good ole boy system hiring friends. I get everyone has ties in this league but there have been a lot of positions handed out to repeat failures based solely on being buddies. McCarthy just did it bringing Nolan with him last year.  There is a guy who has bombed for almost 20 years yet still gets a premium position. Fired now, shocker they run to Quinn which might not be a bad hire but he hasn’t had a good defense since the legion of boom.