Josh Allen Man vs Zone Stats?

CaliBills

I have searched the world wide web (even the dark web lol don't go there, jk i didn't, i am at work and would get in trouble) for stats on Josh Allen that shows stats against man vs zone.

Anyone have access to  a cool site that shows the breakdown?

Would be amazing to see.

Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If you want to watch what he does against Zone just rewatch the SF, Den and NE games.

Oh I watched all those games.  Just wanted to see if anyone had season stats on Josh for man vs zone.  Would love to see the numbers break down.

This has some numbers for both.  Some good info in the rest of the article.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/01/05/anatomy-of-a-wild-card-win-how-the-colts-can-solve-the-josh-allen-riddle/

Thanks to charting data from Sports Info Solutions, we know that Allen has feasted on man coverage this season. Against Cover 0/Cover 1/Cover 2 Man Underneath, Allen has completed 132 of 202 passes (65.3%) for 1,649 yards and 25 touchdowns, against just two interceptions. SIS also has Allen with an on-target percentage of 76.6% against these coverages, trailing only Teddy Bridgewater and Kirk Cousins according to their data. Allen’s NFL passer rating of 126.0 when facing these coverages trails only Cousins, and is ahead of Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes.

Now against zone coverages, the numbers dip. According to SIS when facing zone coverages (defined in this setting as Cover 2/Cover 3/Cover 4/Cover 6/Tampa 2/Combinations) Allen has completed a higher percent of his throws (71.2%) but his NFL passer rating drops to 95.1. He has also throw for just 11 touchdowns against these coverages, but eight interceptions.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, CaliBills said:

Thank you Kindly!!!

That is exactly what I was looking for.

The rest of the article is really good too.  Especially the different types of zone and how Allen has been able to beat each of them in different ways.

7 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Oh I watched all those games.  Just wanted to see if anyone had season stats on Josh for man vs zone.  Would love to see the numbers break down.

You're probably not going to find an overwhelming amount of data points on man defenses because there just isn't that many, imo.

The first few weeks of the season, teams opened games with a lot of man concepts and then quickly abandoned it after a few series when the Bills were tearing it to pieces. Since then they've been seeing predominantly zone coverages because trying to run man schemes against this offense is straight suicide. The only recent examples that I can think of are the 2nd Pats game and the recent Miami game, where both teams tried to sprinkle in man coverages throughout the game just to change looks. I don't think it went quite the way they were hoping it might. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Allen has the best rating in the NFL against Man.  His struggles earlier in the year came against zones especially in the Tennessee and KC games. Even the first NE game he didn't do too much but wasn't asked to as  they ran the ball a lot.  Whatever they did to cause him issues in those games, they clearly don't cause him issues anymore as SF, Den and NE tried the same things and failed miserably. 

If you want a more accurate metric, you might want to see the breakdowns from the 2nd half of the season where he corrected things, or even take a look at the numbers for the entire year broken down into 2 halves.

Edited by Big Turk

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This has some numbers for both.  Some good info in the rest of the article.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/01/05/anatomy-of-a-wild-card-win-how-the-colts-can-solve-the-josh-allen-riddle/

I'd like to see those numbers broken down into 1st half of the season and 2nd half of the season because I would be willing to bet the 2nd half would be a lot higher for the zone coverages. SF, Den and NE got absolutely annihilated playing zone against us.

Edited by Big Turk

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

A few weeks ago there were some tweets that said there were only like three QB's who were top 5 against both man and zone and Allen was one of them. Something like that.

Allen and Mahomes were the only QBs with a QBR over 80 against both zone and man

• Like (+1) 2

There was a game where they explained how Josh was beating them either way. When it was man on man they did long 5-15 crossing routs. when they flipped to zone they called plays that were specific to the players finding space in zone... I forget what game it was but Josh did so well it didn't matter if they manned up or played zone.

I'm going to guess it was the Seahawks game.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Something that is very interesting is that Allen has thrown 8 of his 10 INT's from our own 21 to 50 yardline and has by far his lowest rating of anywhere on the field because of it.  In opponent territory, Allen is lethal, with his lowest rating for anywhere on the field being a 109.7

• Like (+1) 3

I think the passer rating thing is over blown,  his completion percentage is up, you have to take shorter shots.  You can’t play real zone D in the red zone, there’s only so far you can allow a guy to get without giving up a TD so of course man coverage has more TDs and if you are dumb enough to sit in a soft zone, he will hand it off or run it himself. You can’t close as fast as they can get to the end zone.   He’s been great against both, as long as he brings his patience with him, there’s not a lot you can do.  The great QBs you simply have to find a way to give them a new look or break trend, and pressure them, then hope for the best. I never thought I’d be referring to Josh as a great QB, but he’s earned that this year.  As long as he plays within himself, there’s nobody better.  

He’s quite possibly the most complete athlete we have ever seen at QB and the way he’s playing from the pocket, it’s exciting.  For ~25 years now, I have been wondering what it felt like to have a qb where you could say, “I’m not worried, we still have a great chance.”  How sweet it is.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I think the passer rating thing is over blown,  his completion percentage is up, you have to take shorter shots.  You can’t play real zone D in the red zone, there’s only so far you can allow a guy to get without giving up a TD so of course man coverage has more TDs and if you are dumb enough to sit in a soft zone, he will hand it off or run it himself. You can’t close as fast as they can get to the end zone.   He’s been great against both, as long as he brings his patience with him, there’s not a lot you can do.  The great QBs you simply have to find a way to give them a new look or break trend, and pressure them, then hope for the best. I never thought I’d be referring to Josh as a great QB, but he’s earned that this year.  As long as he plays within himself, there’s nobody better.  

He’s quite possibly the most complete athlete we have ever seen at QB and the way he’s playing from the pocket, it’s exciting.  For ~25 years now, I have been wondering what it felt like to have a qb where you could say, “I’m not worried, we still have a great chance.”  How sweet it is.

Doesn't it feel great!!

My boss, 74 yr old life time Steeler fan, texted me during the Bills vs Pats Monday night game and said " Josh Allen is the best QB in the NFL right now"  and for someone to have watched football for as long as he has and has seen HOF QB's, even on the steelers, I felt like yeah, we have that guy now that if he keeps playing close or above this level, will make him wanted/hated by so many other teams.  

I love it and has me excited for the future.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Allen has the best rating in the NFL against Man.  His struggles earlier in the year came against zones especially in the Tennessee and KC games. Even the first NE game he didn't do too much but wasn't asked to as  they ran the ball a lot.  Whatever they did to cause him issues in those games, they clearly don't cause him issues anymore as SF, Den and NE tried the same things and failed miserably. 

If you want a more accurate metric, you might want to see the breakdowns from the 2nd half of the season where he corrected things, or even take a look at the numbers for the entire year broken down into 2 halves.

I think his early struggles versus zone were somewhat "solved" as  part of his natural evolution and a hard worker/student of the game thru the year

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think his early struggles versus zone were somewhat "solved" as  part of his natural evolution and a hard worker/student of the game thru the year

Exactly...he was very hesitant in those games like he was fooled and didn't know what he was seeing at times. That is no longer the case.  I don't think there is anything left to try and fool him with after facing the slew of defenses we have this year.

• Like (+1) 1