Round 1 Playoff: Colts at Bills - Sat. 1/9 1:05pm

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Something that stood out and made an impact to me was the game Josh spun the ball in the endzone and got flagged.  McD was mic'd up and had a discussion with the officials about the call and then told the officials he'd talk to Josh.  He went over, calmly told Josh that if he got flagged again he'd be tossed.  Josh's response was "yes sir".  McD turned to walk away, turned back to Josh and said something like, "I loved the passion".  That told me a lot about their relationship.

Great point.

I would add it speaks volumes re the team's current psyche.

Dion Dawkins wrote (playerstribune) specifically about the JA ball-spin-personal foul, esp in context of post Hail Murray:

"And then the next game, we played the Chargers, and Josh f*cking sonned them by spinning the ball in their faces.

Yeah — that got us loose, man. I think we needed that.

MVP."

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Hair of the dog is a great thing.  Not even joking.

What am I? New here? :) 

I didn’t buy Bailey’s because I thought my coffee might be too hot when I wake up. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

doubt you're likely to see Duke much tomorrow.  But if Beas can't go and we have McKenzie off a bum ankle and Diggs fighting an oblique injury, I'd rather see Duke who knows the playbook active than a guy who got thrown off a bad team mid-season and only joined the team last week.  (Truthfully I'd rather see Kumerow, but that ship sailed unfortunately).  My guess is that Duke either won't be active (like Webb Week 16) and they called him up to give him a salary bump for being a good guy/give the Colts offensive assistants something to do (Window Dressing) OR that he'll be active as a "break glass in emergency" kind of guy.

Completely fair take and I agree. We hear him getting called up, but he may not be active or be involved much. Probably a little overreaction on my part. 

Admittedly, I’m a little on edge for this game. Didn’t think I would be, but the closer we get, and the more the media continues to dismiss the Colts and prematurely look forward to a KC vs Bills conference championship game, the more on edge I get. Not because I don’t think we can beat the Colts (w/ or w/o Duke), but as fans we’ve finally got everything we want - franchise QB, great team with solid depth, great record, division title, home playoff game, etc. and we all want to see them maximize their potential and take advantage of this opportunity. For some time, we fans aren’t used to these high expectations around here. Fortunately, I think McD will have them locked in and not looking ahead.

Deep breaths my Bills brethren!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

What am I? New here? :) 

I didn’t buy Bailey’s because I thought my coffee might be too hot when I wake up. 

I dunno, Steve Stojan.  If that's even you're real name?!?!?!  ARE YOU?

but I like my method better anyways, wake up drunk and keep drinking.  no hangover!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/5/2021 at 11:33 PM, BearNorth said:

Bigger, faster, stronger arm than Mahomes, we need to get him a tight end comparable to Gonzales, Gronk or Kelce and that could happen...

Agree 100%, we are another solid lineman, a speed back, and another athletic seam-busting TE away from being the bonafide top offense in the league.

I think all three can be accomplished in the draft. Regarding the TE position, Kyle Pitts would be perfect, but will likely be gone by our first round pick. Pat Freiermuth could be good value in the 2nd round and I'm a huge fan of Tommy Tremble out of Notre Dame later in the draft. A guy who can be a receiving threat, but is a fierce blocker and loves contact.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, YoloinOhio said:

It's awesome how much Diggs already seems to love being in Buffalo and he hasn't even played in front of the home fans yet. Wild.

On 1/6/2021 at 3:20 PM, PaattMaann said:

And we didnt lose to Tenn because they gashed us on the ground (turnovers and we were down ALL OF OUR CBs) 

Completely true, we actually held Derrick Henry to his worst game of the year and that guy will likely get a couple MVP votes. Like you and others said, I respect the threat that Jonathan Taylor and Nyheim Hines represent, but I'm confident that our run defense had improved a lot and is up for the challenge.

On 1/6/2021 at 5:25 PM, Big Blitz said:

Oliver vs Nelson round 2.  I believe they squared off last year in the preseason.    

AJ Epenesa vs their backup LT.  He's going to be amped up don't be surprised to see him have a bit of a breakout game.  

Oliver actually knocked Nelson back a couple times in that preseason game, my first real 'Wow' moment of Oliver in a Bills jersey. As a Notre Dame fan, I got to watch Nelson play for 3 years and he was and still is the most impressive linemen I've ever seen in college football. 

Even without Castonzo, the Colts line is still super talented and athletic. Nelson, Ryan Kelly, and Braden Smith are all top 10 at their positions in the league. The weaker links are definitely Veldheer at LT and Glowinski at RG, hoping to see the defense collapse the pocket in those spots and make Rivers wish for the bus home!

On 1/7/2021 at 3:46 PM, PaattMaann said:

Oh no doubt I agree about the quantity, but I expect 1 or 2 in the first 2 drives so the D has to account for it. 

About the blockers in the Houston game, This year aint last year. 

Josh and Daboll have both gone on record saying that 'Josh needs to get hit in order to settle his sugar-high/jitters.' I don't want to see too many designed runs for Josh, but a QB draw or sweep (looking at you Knox and Davis, make your blocks!!) on the first drive might be a good idea. And Josh scrambling is still a great weapon against the opposing defense, just be smart and get down #17. 

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I didn't know Terry was funny.

Neither did I until the recent back-and-forth between Terry and Tre White (love that man) about Pegula still using a flip phone LOL. Has seemed a little quiet/soft-spoken with the media at times, but nice to see there's a rapport there between the owners and players. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

It will be 69 degrees tomorrow when the game is on, just cool enough to wear my Bills hoodie along with my new team cap. Pity I don't have a team jersey or tee.

You should change your name to "Former Rochesterian Bills fan"  gonna be ~35 at kick off tomorrow here in Rochester.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If you are a good defense, your yardage and points allowed should be pretty close. They are sort of indicators of each other. But the problem is when one is way out of whack than the other.

Miami had a great scoring defense, but I think it was an aberration or at least not sustainable. The other good scoring defenses this year also had good yardage numbers. You tend to be luckier than good when your PPG is low but yardage is high, like Miami. 

Don’t get me wrong— Miami was great at generating turnovers and making big plays. But that is a very hard type of defense to run to sustain success. Doubtful they can replicate it next year. 

This is a good point.  I wouldn't quite go so far as to say yardage and points "should" be pretty close.  But when the yardage and points aren't close, there's always a reason, and the reason matters as to assessing whether or not it's sustainable.  For example, last year Tampa Bay had the #15 defense on yards but #29 on points.  Well, the reason was because they were #32 in the league on interceptions thrown by their offense.  The offense was always putting the defense in the hole.  So you could guess that if the turnover problem was cured on offense, the defense would magically take a step. 

Miami worked hard to be an aggressive defense that got turnovers, so I wouldn't say they're "luckier than good" - especially, whether or not you recover a fumble is always a bit of a toss-up but a ball-hawking D can stay hawking as long as the CBs hold up, and they led the league in INTs.  On the other hand, that went hand-and-hand with a careful offense that didn't turn the ball over too much so....

Anyway the Colts are #8 in yards given up and #11 in points given up which I'm sort of struggling to sort along with them being #5 or #6 for take-aways - it sort of seems that if you're taking away the ball a lot you would typically be higher in points than in yards given up, because you're taking away the opponents ablity to score?  But perhaps you're also curtailing the opponents drives? 

I'm also struggling to reconcile that with the description of them as a "bend don't break" defense.  I guess they're a bend don't break defense that doesn't give up many yards because they take away the ball.

I hope we can influence that and hang onto it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

From Olean Times Herald "Buffalo looks to end playoff-win drought

‘Hanging over Buffalo is the fact that it has lost its last six postseason games.’"

I hate all this Hanging over Buffalo's head, Monkeys on their Backs talk.  This crap means nothing to this team - they are going to go out and do everything they can to win and not only could probably care less how many old Bills teams lost ahead of them, but they'd be foolish to waste any time thinking about it.   Sure, they didn't like how it ended last year in a game they could have had and that's cool to use as motivation.   But when fans on this board talk about all the monkeys that have to be removed, those aren't monkeys on THIS team's back.  If anything they're monkeys that the fans and the media keep alive and keep feeding.  Hell I've been through it all since the early seventies, but I refuse to worry about past history.  It has ZERO relevance or importance for this team's playoff run.

• Thank you (+1) 1