Darwin Award Nominees

Gugny

3 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Isn't their a law about how thick the ice needs to be for ice fishing?

Can't really tell how thick the ice is.  It can't be very thick, as it was in the 50s less than a week ago.  Not to mention, it's a river, so there's moving water.

They do it every year, though, and no one has died that I know of.  The water is very shallow there, anyway.  Still dumb, IMO.

EDIT:  I misread your post.  Didn't see the law part of your question.  I don't think there is a law.  If it was on state park land and there was a do not go onto the ice sign, I'm sure that would be different.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Saw some people ice fishing yesterday, but it was on a small, shallow lake.  I wouldn’t do it, but I guess it’s safer than on a river with moving water.  That’s crazy.  Hopefully no kids out there.

It's a bay, so the water isn't running, per se.  But it's moving.  I fished that bay for decades with my father and albeit not much, the water does move.  It's just so early into the winter and the temps have not been conducive to significant ice building.  But ... as I said ... they do it every year and no one seems to get hurt, thankfully.

I love me some perch, but not that much!!!

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

What makes this moronic?  The fact that the ice doesn't cover the entire body of water?  

I don't ice fish nor do I have the time or inclination to do so.

Living in Florida also gets in the way.

🤣

The fact that they're that close to open water.  The fact that it's a river.  The fact that it was unseasonably warm and rainy not long before.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.