Josh vs Tua collegewise

Last night I was listening to one of the sports channels on Sirius. They where talking about Tua playing with like 8 first round picks on offense alone at Bama and should we be evaluating qbs also on who they where throwing to as part of the evaluation...

Then they brought up Josh and imagine his numbers if he played for say Urban Meyer at Ohio State. Saying there’s no way he’s there at 7 if he played for the Buckeyes or even Baker playing at Wyoming instead of Oklahoma no way he’s no1...found it interesting if we should start evaluating qbs on who else is on their team  

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Last night I was listening to one of the sports channels on Sirius. They where talking about Tua playing with like 8 first round picks on offense alone at Bama and should we be evaluating qbs also on who they where throwing to as part of the evaluation...then they brought

up Josh and imagine his numbers if he played for say Urban Meyer at Ohio State. Saying there’s no way he’s there at 7 if he played for the Buckeyes or even Baker playing at Wyoming instead of Oklahoma no way he’s no1...found it interesting if we should start evaluating qbs on who else is on their team  

If Baker Mayfield played college football at Wyoming, he would have gone Undrafted. Literally.

Josh Allen was a one-man football team at Wyoming. Singlehandedly won 2/3rds of his starts there all on his own. When Josh was out, Wyoming got blown out by bad teams. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

If Baker Mayfield played college football at Wyoming, he would have gone Undrafted. Literally.

Josh Allen was a one-man football team at Wyoming. Singlehandedly won 2/3rds of his starts there all on his own. When Josh was out, Wyoming got blown out by bad teams. 

Agreed on Baker. Josh got drafted because his physical tools put him on the radar. Baker is too small to have been drafted early (if at all) from wyoming.

• Like (+1) 1

Tua has showed very little considering his supposed greatness at bama, it’s earlier days still, but he appears to be a wuss of a QB so far. 

49 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Last night I was listening to one of the sports channels on Sirius. They where talking about Tua playing with like 8 first round picks on offense alone at Bama and should we be evaluating qbs also on who they where throwing to as part of the evaluation...

Then they brought up Josh and imagine his numbers if he played for say Urban Meyer at Ohio State. Saying there’s no way he’s there at 7 if he played for the Buckeyes or even Baker playing at Wyoming instead of Oklahoma no way he’s no1...found it interesting if we should start evaluating qbs on who else is on their team  

Way too early to judge Tua .. he might suck, he might be meh or he might become a superstar. We got annoyed when people trashed Josh based on his early output .. hopefully he does stink and the Dolphins remain average .. but too early to say

• Like (+1) 6

44 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Way too early to judge Tua .. he might suck, he might be meh or he might become a superstar. We got annoyed when people trashed Josh based on his early output .. hopefully he does stink and the Dolphins remain average .. but too early to say

Yep, agree too early to say. 

Guess my concern if I were a Dolphins fan is that I haven’t seen any flashes of real promise yet. Josh was a rollercoaster ride.. still is sometimes!  His bad was bad, but his good was mind blowing. Tua has been consistently ok so far. Could be worse, but not seeing any magic either. We’ll see!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve been banging the drum on this same argument when it comes to Tua. He played on an Bama offense that had Ruggs, Jeudey and Smith with 4* and 5* recruits on the offensive line. I’m an FSU fan and I watched Jacob Coker transfer from FSU to Bama and win a Natty. What QB can’t go to Bama and put up numbers?

27 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Yep, agree too early to say. 

Guess my concern if I were a Dolphins fan is that I haven’t seen any flashes of real promise yet. Josh was a rollercoaster ride.. still is sometimes!  His bad was bad, but his good was mind blowing. Tua has been consistently ok so far. Could be worse, but not seeing any magic either. We’ll see!

He is definitely playing too safe. Scared of making a mistake. That is not the way to develop a rookie. They need to tell him to let it rip and they will stand by the consequences. That isn't helped by them benching him every 30 seconds. Strange coaching from  a coach I do like. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Tua has showed very little considering his supposed greatness at bama, it’s earlier days still, but he appears to be a wuss of a QB so far. 

Yep, there is a little bit of the post-shell shock Trent Edwards look there, but really: the Phins have either won or been very close in every game he's started so far. 6-2 record as a starter (with a huge assist to Fitzy yesterday). And remember that his best receivers - this year's version of DeVante Parker and Mike Geisicki - are probably Gabriel Davis and healthy Tyler Kroft quality. In other words, guys who wouldn't get a whole lot of looks on this year's Bills.

The key thing right now for a playoff team is "don't lose us games." And so far he's succeeded at that level.  We know he throws a pretty long ball ... whether "pretty" translates into "effective at the NFL level" is something we'll find out before too long.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yep, there is a little bit of the post-shell shock Trent Edwards look there, but really: the Phins have either won or been very close in every game he's started so far. 6-2 record as a starter (with a huge assist to Fitzy yesterday). And remember that his best receivers - this year's version of DeVante Parker and Mike Geisicki - are probably Gabriel Davis and healthy Tyler Kroft quality. In other words, guys who wouldn't get a whole lot of looks on this year's Bills.

The key thing right now for a playoff team is "don't lose us games." And so far he's succeeded at that level.  We know he throws a pretty long ball ... whether "pretty" translates into "effective at the NFL level" is something we'll find out before too long.

The Trent Edwards reference made me chuckle, you are right in that we shall see, but his inability to move the offense up the field is notable imo, Fitz with all his flaws makes Tua look somewhat incompetent, as said it is early days yet...

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is definitely playing too safe. Scared of making a mistake. That is not the way to develop a rookie. They need to tell him to let it rip and they will stand by the consequences. That isn't helped by them benching him every 30 seconds. Strange coaching from  a coach I do like. 

I dont think they anticipated they would have such a good record and making the playoffs. D and ST has contributed a lot too. I think it stunts his development too, but when you have a shot to make playoffs, different decisions are made. 

1 minute ago, PonyBoy said:

I dont think they anticipated they would have such a good record and making the playoffs. D and ST has contributed a lot too. I think it stunts his development too, but when you have a shot to make playoffs, different decisions are made. 

I just don't think the Dolphins should be in playoff or bust mode. Not this year 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I just don't think the Dolphins should be in playoff or bust mode. Not this year 

Not long ago Buffalo fans would've killed for an opportunity to make it, Hell or highwater. Its not like the Dolphins havent had a drought either. Just not as long as the Bills. 

1 minute ago, PonyBoy said:

Not long ago Buffalo fans would've killed for an opportunity to make it, Hell or highwater. Its not like the Dolphins havent had a drought either. Just not as long as the Bills. 

I get it. But the Bills were not risking their long term QB to do it. Tua's chances might not have been great anyway but they are hurt by this IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

of course we consider that. Who isn’t considering it?

unfortunately for josh, his college resume was also built playing AGAINST non nfl prospects- which was a consideration. 

do you think these factors aren’t weighed?

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I get it. But the Bills were not risking their long term QB to do it. Tua's chances might not have been great anyway but they are hurt by this IMO. 

If they are hurt it’s mostly in image- once benched it’s easier to pull the plug earlier later. I don’t think he’s a different caliber of player due to this move though 

2 hours ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

totally disagree with this take.

he is no wuss.

Did you look at his passing in the raiders game? That’s pretty wussy, iirc he has several under performing (wussy) passing games, If they didn’t pull him Miami loses that game. I did say it’s early still, but he hasn’t wowed anyone thus far. 

Just now, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

nothing wussy about how the kid plays. funny though, how someone sitting on a couch watching can call a professional athlete a wuss.

anyhow, one thing I do agree with is it is still early to claim good bad or otherwise at this point. 6-2 as a rookie on a pretty much rebuilding team is not a bad start to a career.

Come on now, Tua is only a small part of why they have a winning record, and his passing game is not good, everyone sees this, 17 passes for 89 yards, that’s very wussy, regardless of the chair I sit in, 😁👍

• Like (+1) 1