Why on earth isn't Sean McDermott a legit Coach of the Year candidate?

Logic

Hearing NFL analysts discuss the topic of who should win Coach of the Year, and checking a few betting websites to see the odds....I can't help but wonder: Why isn't Sean McDermott more of a serious candidate for the award?

Coach McDermott has overseen an 11-3 season and the first division championship in 25 years. He is beloved by his players for the culture he has instilled in the team. He has made the playoffs 3 out of his 4 seasons in Buffalo.

I see names like Brian Flores, Ron Rivera, and Kevin Stefanski listed above McDermott in the odds. All I can ask is...why?! Is getting a winning season out of a previously bad team the prerequisite? How could Rivera (whose team has a losing record), Flores (whose team might not even make the playoffs), and Stefanski (whose team likely isn't going to win their division) all be seen as more legitimate contenders for this honor than McDermott, whose team is incredibly impressive, well-balanced, division-winning, and who absolutely owe a ton of their success specifically to his coaching? 

I just don't get it.

• Like (+1) 5

The Bills were expected to be good. That's where McDermott has votes against him.

The Dolphins weren't expected to be anywhere near 9-5 and Flores gets all the credit for that....... according to the people who will be voting for COTY.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

How do you know he isn’t?😳

I mentioned that most betting odds websites don't show him as a particularly serious candidate.

He is rarely discussed as being within the top 5 likeliest winners.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't pay too much attention to beauty pageants like MVP or Coach of the Year. It's the NFL, and like any other sports league on the planet, the currency of excellence are trophies and championships. Let Brian Flores get some credit for turning the fish from a gag reel into a feel good story, nobody anywhere will forget McD if he makes the Bills 1-4 in the Superbowl this year.  Then we can talk about him getting us to .500. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Bills were expected to be good. That's where McDermott has votes against him.

The Dolphins weren't expected to be anywhere near 9-5 and Flores gets all the credit for that....... according to the people who will be voting for COTY.

They are expected to be good because of what he has done and what he has put in place.  You don't get pentalized for doing your job well.

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

McDermott is a Defensive Coach (basically a glorified Defensive Coordinator) riding the coattails of Josh Allen.

I'm fairly certain you're speaking mostly tongue-in-cheek, as part of your Josh Allen Fanboy gimmick.

If not, well....that's a ridiculous thing to say.

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

McDermott is a Defensive Coach (basically a glorified Defensive Coordinator) riding the coattails of Josh Allen.

Seriously? Good head coaches are like CEOs that deal with all aspects of the team on and off the field. This says you have zero idea of how hard it is to successfully be a head coach in the league with everything on their plate.

• Like (+1) 1

For me anyways coach of the year is who did the most with the least. Browns have very little talent on defense and it’s a little shocking to see them win this much, Miami wasn’t expected to compete this year similar to when we backed in with mcd year one, Indy I think has done quite well, lot of teams doing well this year and looking dominant at times. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DQW87 said:

They are expected to be good because of what he has done and what he has put in place.  You don't get pentalized for doing your job well.

In these sort of awards you often do. McDermott has won the division with a team people expected to win the division. I think he deserves consideration. I think Rivera might win which I think is as much about the story as anything - his cancer battle, Smith's return etc - not that he would get my vote. 

• Like (+1) 1