Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day - "a date which will live in infamy"

SlimShady'sSpaceForce

My dad was stationed on Ford Island during the Korean War (1948 and 1949 I think). This was way before the memorial was even thought of. He said parts of the superstructure of the Arizona were still sticking up out of the water.  He also said they didn't repair some of the bullet holes in the walls of the barracks as a reminder of what could happen again.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

He also said they didn't repair some of the bullet holes in the walls of the barracks as a reminder of what could happen again.

There are still bullet holes in one of the airport hangars.  They said they could have just as easily been from friendly fire during the chaos, but that hardly matters.  

135 December 7 Bullet Holes.jpg

16 hours ago, Wacka said:

My dad was stationed on Ford Island during the Korean War (1948 and 1949 I think). This was way before the memorial was even thought of. He said parts of the superstructure of the Arizona were still sticking up out of the water.  He also said they didn't repair some of the bullet holes in the walls of the barracks as a reminder of what could happen again.

My father and Uncles served in the Korean War too.  

20 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

My grandfather was on the USS Pennsylvania, and survived.

My father was on a ammo supply ship that fateful December morning, with tons of munitions on board.  Thankfully, they were only strafed...they were tied up to a pier, a five iron shot from the oil tank farm.  Had the aggressors dropped just one bomb on the tank farm, the entire fuel supply for the Pacific fleet would have been lost.

There was some dumb luck involved, which saved the fleet: the oil farm wasn't touched, the carriers weren't in port and a third wave never happened.  We got our payback less than six months later at Midway.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.