Texans WR Will Fuller suspended 6 games for PED violation

Big Turk

8 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He is probably healthy this year because of the PED usage. 

This was my thought. Ever since coming into the NFL he has had quite the laundry list of soft tissue injuries. Playing for a new contract I believe he took the chance of hoping he would be able to mask it somehow for the year. 

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I had just got the position where if I was Houston I'd have said keep him. Now I let someone else take the risk. The next suspension is a year after the 6 week one.

Yes I think Fuller is part of a new house cleaning, starting with the GM/HC.....the only solid survivor is going to be Deshaun Watson.  Even the demi-God JJ Watt  is expendable, most Texans fans down here have a high emotional attachment to him and many  want him to have an opportunity to get a ring, highly unlikely with the post Bill O Brien era.

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes I think Fuller is part of a new house cleaning, starting with the GM/HC.....the only solid survivor is going to be Deshaun Watson.  Even the demi-God JJ Watt  is expendable, most Texans fans down here have a high emotional attachment to him and many  want him to have an opportunity to get a ring, highly unlikely with the post Bill O Brien era.

One of the attractions to the job is even though you have no #1 or #2 pick this year other than Watson and Tunsil (and yea none of us liked that contact) you are not tied into anyone on that roster. A new regime can make its own evaluations about 51 of the 53 players on that team and if it decides it doesn't like them... it can move on from every other player for minimal cost by the end of 2021 (and all but about 3 - Cobb, Robey and Mercilus) after 2020. Now it has some guys I think you extend - Zach Cunningham, Justin Reid.... possibly Nick Martin... but it has a lot of guys on that roster you just want to move on from. I think a new GM and HC sit Deshaun Watson down on day 1 and say "look 2021 might be another tough year, we are gonna focus on trying to protect you better up front but we are still gonna have to score a lot on your right arm because the defense will not be fixed but by 2022 we think we can contend again."

The Texans have generally been patient with Head Coaches. They have only had three in their 18 year history. If they get a new regime where the GM and HC are properly aligned and can execute a strategic vision there is no reason why they can't content. They have the hardest piece to find. But given the risk he represents Fuller is no longer a viable part of that vision IMO.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

One of the attractions to the job is even though you have no #1 or #2 pick this year other than Watson and Tunsil (and yea none of us liked that contact) you are not tied into anyone on that roster. A new regime can make its own evaluations about 51 of the 53 players on that team and if it decides it doesn't like them... it can move on from every other player for minimal cost by the end of 2021 (and all but about 3 - Cobb, Robey and Mercilus) after 2020. Now it has some guys I think you extend - Zach Cunningham, Justin Reid.... possibly Nick Martin... but it has a lot of guys on that roster you just want to move on from. I think a new GM and HC sit Deshaun Watson down on day 1 and say "look 2021 might be another tough year, we are gonna focus on trying to protect you better up front but we are still gonna have to score a lot on your right arm because the defense will not be fixed but by 2022 we think we can contend again."

The Texans have generally been patient with Head Coaches. They have only had three in their 18 year history. If they get a new regime where the GM and HC are properly aligned and can execute a strategic vision there is no reason why they can't content. They have the hardest piece to find. But given the risk he represents Fuller is no longer a viable part of that vision IMO.

Living in Houston I could go on and on about the Texans.

You are correct, the Texans have been very loyal to a fault with HCs.    How they let O'Brien secure  HC and GM at the same time was an historic blunder only to be followed by one of the worst trades in NFL history, the departure of D Hopkins. The McNair ownership has/continues to be brain dead.  Ownership is "too nice", they will hang on to players that are "good people" for far too log and a prime example of that is the over-paid Mercilus.  The t worst was hanging on to David Carr way too long and never protecting him.  David Carr was a nice family man, church goer and McNari loved him.  Problem with Carr (besides no O Line) was his heart was not really into it.  Carr was always one of the first men out of the facility and last men in, exactly what you dont want from your QB/leader.

17 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Houston 0-5 here on out. Besides Watson, he is all they got.

Watson, wow, feel bad for that guy.  

I'd take Fuller here, but I'm assuming some team overpays.  His talent is amazing, his availability is not.  

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

JJ should go.  hopefully to Buffalo :)

Clear that cap space and get him.