Two huge penalties killed the Bills

Billsfan1972

Arizona was offside so a free play and a great play by Allen & 21 yard toss while in the grasp to Singletary negated by a sloppy penalty.  Next play was an int....  Huge play and consequences.

Second end of the quarter and third & 23 & and 24 yard catch by Brown negated by holding.

Two crushing penalties costing them first downs and big yards.

Just a game that everything just seemed a little off.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I agree although I didn’t see much of a hold on the second one you can call holding like that every play if you wanted 

that was a weak call. You can call one every play but many of them would be bad calls.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Arizona was offside so a free play and a great playu by Allen & 21 yard toss while in the grasp to Singletary negated by a sloppy penalty.  Next play was an int....  Huge play and consequences.

Second end of the quarter and third & 23 & and 24 yard catch by Brown negated by holding.

Could we have declined the offside penalty? Force Arizona to take the illegal block which would be 10 yards from the spot of the foul.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I would love to know what happened on that illegal block penalty. I didn’t see it. 

it was unnecessary , play was basically over and Knox grazed the guy going after singletary. Didn't effect the play.

Just now, klos63 said:

Could we have declined the offside penalty? Force Arizona to take the illegal block which would be 10 yards from the spot of the foul.

That’s a very thoughtful question but I don’t believe so as they were offsetting.

So unless it’s a personal foul in one of those off setting penalties, it’s a replay of the down.

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Oh, man— that is brilliant. Is that legal? 

I don't see why not, but I really don't know. Can't recall ever seeing it done.

Just now, Turbo44 said:

In a year where they’re not calling any holding plays that wasn’t a penalty. I saw no hold by Winters. Knox, on the first penalty, has just been  major disappointment this year

That's what bothered me, those plays were let go most of the season, why call them today?

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

That’s a very thoughtful question but I don’t believe so as they were offsetting.

So unless it’s a personal foul in one of those off setting penalties, it’s a replay of the down.

I guess I don't understand why a team loses the right to decline a penalty.  Need to do some research on this one.

31 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

im over knox. he doesnt play disciplined enough. too many miscues from him.

Knox has all the physical skills but with the WR core he played with in college, he just doesn't have nearly experience being a real contributor to the offense to make smart plays and know what to do often enough and play with discipline.  In a way he's very similar to Josh Allen, tons of raw ability, but not enough experience to make smart plays.

31 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I don't see why not, but I really don't know. Can't recall ever seeing it done.

That's what bothered me, those plays were let go most of the season, why call them today?

I guess I don't understand why a team loses the right to decline a penalty.  Need to do some research on this one.

It's kind of like when I team is punting a deliberately takes a delay of game to give the punter more room.  Sometimes though you see the defense decline the penalty.  I've often thought why doesn't an offensive lineman just jump up out of stance and take a procedure penalty instead as that's then a dead ball penalty.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I agree although I didn’t see much of a hold on the second one you can call holding like that every play if you wanted 

Yep. Same with the PI call on Worley. By the book it was a PI, but every single passing play has the same amount of contact between CB and WR. You could call it on all of them.

The game was so back and forth. 

I feel like we messed up more than the Cards did, but they had their share of screw ups. 

This was just one of those back and forth games that we prolly should have won but im not shocked we didnt. 

Horrible way to lose though.

10 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

The game was so back and forth. 

I feel like we messed up more than the Cards did, but they had their share of screw ups. 

This was just one of those back and forth games that we prolly should have won but im not shocked we didnt. 

Horrible way to lose though.

What screw-ups?  Seemd the penalties affected the Bills way more and resulted in huge losses.

BTW the Knox penalty, would have been assessed at the end of the play (and after the 21 yard gain), resulting in 1st & 4 if I am correct.

Again plenty of mistakes on both sides, but Arizona's penalties were 6 yard ones & one 10 yard one.

15 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Arizona was offside so a free play and a great play by Allen & 21 yard toss while in the grasp to Singletary negated by a sloppy penalty.  Next play was an int....  Huge play and consequences.

They could barely make out the holding call on the replay. The faintest jersey grasp as the defender tried to break the block and that's it. 

14 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Knox has all the physical skills but with the WR core he played with in college, he just doesn't have nearly experience being a real contributor to the offense to make smart plays and know what to do often enough and play with discipline.  In a way he's very similar to Josh Allen, tons of raw ability, but not enough experience to make smart plays.

OK.  But how long do you wait?  I want to see a step up from year to year, like we did with Allen from his first 16 games to now. 

For whatever reason, Knox seems to be stepping back and it's painful to watch.

7 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

the Refs came marching in. 

For whatever reason, the Bills don't suit the NFL narrative, which is puffing up Tua and Murray and still puffing Lamar Jackson.

So we are going to have to beat the refs sometimes.  And in the games where we play well and win, we DO beat the refs and overcome bad plays and bad calls.