New Lego Colosseum Announced! 9,000+ pieces; $550!

Nextmanup

55 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I guarantee that a 2x2 brick from it stepped on barefooted will hurt just as much as any run of the mill 2x2 brick.

Stepping on Legos is the unofficial parenthood hazing ritual....on a side note. Legos have to have one of the best ROI's ever.  Aside from the dies, and overhead i would venture to guess each piece costs less than a penny. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

It did, in a way. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f8d0288b356da250967a6b89b95fce91.jpeg

Are the Pegulas aware of this? 

Our season seats at the Rockpile were under the covered section. We thought that was awesome.......until it rained. Apparently, our seats were under the seam. All the water collected and flowed to the seam - coming down on us like a %$#$@#& fire hose!

Ahhhh, good times. :)

And yes, @RaoulDuke79, nothing like the treat of stepping on a LEGO when you are barefoot and half awake! You instantly become FULLY awake! And teach the little ones some new words you hope they don’t share at school. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

It did, in a way. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f8d0288b356da250967a6b89b95fce91.jpeg

I was disappointed that the set did not reference the velarium, but the designer seems to have gone for the way the structure looks now, not when it was new.  

Anyone, that can always be added in; this set is hugely upgradable and modifiable.  

16 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I guarantee that a 2x2 brick from it stepped on barefooted will hurt just as much as any run of the mill 2x2 brick.

One time I actually missed three games with a broken big toe because I stepped on one of my son's Legos in the dark.  :wallbash:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

You mean the new one.  It's way better than the original UCS set.

75192.jpg?fit=bounds&format=jpg&quality=

I mean, obviously...

Personally, still would choose a first edition Falcon over a Colosseum. I'm not big into these architecture sets. My small collection is pretty much just Star Wars and cars, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

you know it wasn't until I had bought my grandson a lego set for his birthday last month that I was informed about them by a gentleman in the isle as I was looking at what to get him. ignorant I know but as a kid I was not interested in legos, lincoln logs but not legos. he had told me that they had been around since the 1940's and were quite collectable and never lost their value as long as you had all the pieces, the box and the directions book. he said a set he paid $100 for 10 years ago was worth $300 today. he said he was 50 years old and had been a collector since he was a kid and was quite helpful in my search for something for my grandson. I ended up getting him the super mario starter kit because it had the mario character and from there you can collect/purchase the follow up kits of the super mario series. I'll tell ya, the mario was pretty damn cool. electronic with the eyes and sounds that also activate by the bar codes on the other characters and other accessories. the grandson loved it and I will continue to add to his collection at christmas and birthdays to come. hell, I was even having some fun with him putting things together and I am considering maybe getting myself a set for adults, who knows. learn something new everyday!

1 minute ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

you know it wasn't until I had bought my grandson a lego set for his birthday last month that I was informed about them by a gentleman in the isle as I was looking at what to get him. ignorant I know but as a kid I was not interested in legos, lincoln logs but not legos. he had told me that they had been around since the 1940's and were quite collectable and never lost their value as long as you had all the pieces, the box and the directions book. he said a set he paid $100 for 10 years ago was worth $300 today. he said he was 50 years old and had been a collector since he was a kid and was quite helpful in my search for something for my grandson. I ended up getting him the super mario starter kit because it had the mario character and from there you can collect/purchase the follow up kits of the super mario series. I'll tell ya, the mario was pretty damn cool. electronic with the eyes and sounds that also activate by the bar codes on the other characters and other accessories. the grandson loved it and I will continue to add to his collection at christmas and birthdays to come. hell, I was even having some fun with him putting things together and I am considering maybe getting myself a set for adults, who knows. learn something new everyday!

I still have LEGO sets from 45 years ago.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

LEGO has always been tops with "quality of play vs. hours spent."  By far, a million miles separates it and others.

Our sets aren't all in mint packaging..  But used.  You want to use them build, create.  Not sit in a box.  My sister was going to give all my nephew's sets away  from 30 years ago, we took them, my Children built with them through the years...

I suppose, I can separate them and redox them, but that's a huge undertaking.   Right now, just in bins and bins of Rubbermaid containers... Ready to create.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LEGO has always been tops with "quality of play vs. hours spent."  By far, a million miles separates it and others.

Our sets aren't all in mint packaging..  But used.  You want to use them build, create.  Not sit in a box.  My sister was going to give all my nephew's sets away  from 30 years ago, we took them, my Children built with them through the years...

I suppose, I can separate them and redox them, but that's a huge undertaking.   Right now, just in bins and bins of Rubbermaid containers... Ready to create.

Yeah, I get some light-hearted ribbing for still buying Lego sets, but these toys last!

• Like (+1) 1

Depending on what you have and how complete everything is, selling them on Ebay can be hugely profitable.  You can use the profits to pad your bank account, AND replace the Legos you sold with new sets.

I am selling a ton of sets right now for the Christmas season.  Lego is much better than stocks!

Good sets that will always have demand often double and more in price once the set goes EOL (end of line; discontinued).

One of my favorite recent sets was the huge UCS Super Star Destroyer.  Over 4 feet long, 3,200 pieces, wonderful engineering particularly on the interior.  I bought it, enjoyed it, built, stared at it on the coffee table...then sold it for $830 on Ebay maybe 3 years later, having paid $400 for it new.

That money went into the next cool one, and so on.

There are 2 awesome sets out there right now: the aforementioned UCS M.F., and the UCS Star Destroyer.  One is $800, one is $700.  Buy 2 of each and the spare set will pay for the both of them a few years down the road.

I still have LEGO sets from 45 years ago.  

I have stuff from the '70s.  What's your favorite?

I have a complete "Yellow castle" in my mom's attic in Buffalo.  My nephew found it and built it a few years ago!  I won't sell that one...too much nostalgia.  That and the "Galaxy Explorer" were the jewels in my Lego crown as a kid in the '70s and early '80s.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

This is the spirit!  In the last 10 years or so, Lego has learned that a huge percentage of their buyers are adults, not kids.

There is still plenty of the kid stuff, but there are increasingly more and more adult sets with huge purchase prices.  It never used to be like this, but it gets better all the time.  The golden age of Lego is right here, right now.  The design quality is a thousand light years ahead of where it was in the '90s, for example.

I equate building Lego to doing a crossword puzzle, jigsaw puzzle, or something like that.  It's really enjoyable and relaxing.

Oddly enough, organizing pieces for your own creations (MOCS) can also be extremely therapeutic!

You can spend hours gathering and sorting pieces into bins.  I find it really relaxing.  Burns of stress from my work.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:20 PM, LeGOATski said:

I mean, obviously...

Personally, still would choose a first edition Falcon over a Colosseum. I'm not big into these architecture sets. My small collection is pretty much just Star Wars and cars, lol.

I think a lot of Lego fans might agree with you about the Colosseum, which is what will make it a great investment set!  I'm a huge fan of military history and all things ancient Rome, so for me, it's a must buy.  But a lot of Lego fans are not into the "micro" design concept.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

One of my favorite recent sets was the huge UCS Super Star Destroyer.  Over 4 feet long, 3,200 pieces, wonderful engineering particularly on the interior.  I bought it, enjoyed it, built, stared at it on the coffee table...then sold it for $830 on Ebay maybe 3 years later, having paid $400 for it new.

That set is dope!

The recent Batman stuff will probably be a great value, too

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Depending on what you have and how complete everything is, selling them on Ebay can be hugely profitable.  You can use the profits to pad your bank account, AND replace the Legos you sold with new sets.

I am selling a ton of sets right now for the Christmas season.  Lego is much better than stocks!

Good sets that will always have demand often double and more in price once the set goes EOL (end of line; discontinued).

There are 2 awesome sets out there right now: the aforementioned UCS M.F., and the UCS Star Destroyer.  One is $800, one is $700.  Buy 2 of each and the spare set will pay for the both of them a few years down the road.

I have stuff from the '70s.  What's your favorite?

I have a complete "Yellow castle" in my mom's attic in Buffalo.  My nephew found it and built it a few years ago!  I won't sell that one...too much nostalgia.  That and the "Galaxy Explorer" were the jewels in my Lego crown as a kid in the '70s and early '80s.

Will always be my sentimental favorite: 1977

https://lego.brickinstructions.com/en/lego_instructions/set/404/Building_Set,_6+

001.jpg

Still have it!

The Space Series from the late 1970s into 80's:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvEyG04ldIim7hZDks3-P

Son has the Train collection from early 2000s...

il_570xN.1382487072_dquo.jpg

Working sets too:

SpiritedSeriousAffenpinscher-max-1mb.gif

😆 

On 12/2/2020 at 2:41 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Will always be my sentimental favorite: 1977

https://lego.brickinstructions.com/en/lego_instructions/set/404/Building_Set,_6+

001.jpg

Still have it!

The Space Series from the late 1970s into 80's:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvEyG04ldIim7hZDks3-P

Son has the Train collection from early 2000s...

il_570xN.1382487072_dquo.jpg

Working sets too:

SpiritedSeriousAffenpinscher-max-1mb.gif

😆

Those are all great sets, including my beloved Galaxy Explorer!  

That yellow "builder set" is quite cool.  That looks like the type of thing that was just before my time with Lego, by only a few years.

The trains are all fantastic, I really like those.  I have the relatively recent "Emerald Night" that I will never sell.  I honestly think it's one of the best, cleanest pieces of Lego design ever.  There is a cool new train set out now, the crocodile.

E.N.: 

maxresdefault.jpg

Crocodile:

10277_alt1.jpg?fit=bounds&format=jpg&qua

21 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The designs have really come a long way.

That spaceship is something a child would design themselves, lol.

That spaceship was the biggest, coolest thing to have in the world of Lego the year it came out.  Or at least one of the best Lego sets.  Everyone wanted it and it was impossible to get a hold of, especially pre-internet or Lego.com.

I agree it is now horribly dated and it doesn't feature any particularly special build techniques!  

My 8 year old self (or however old I was) thought it was absolutely amazing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.