What will a Jon Feliciano and Daryl Williams extension look like?

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Klein’s gonna have to play more than a few good games for me to erase how he’s played up until last week. He went off for sure, but was mostly terrible up till the seahawks. No where near enough good tape to think about letting milano go.

Agree on Klein. I didn’t do a great job on making my point with the post. It was more in regards to the position Milano plays and finding a replacement. That replacement doesn’t need to be Klein per say. It could come through a draft pick. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We gotta keep Daryl WIlliams......they found gold there and Daryl isnt old

Mongo is a no brainer

I

When one looks at the numbers, they’ll need to make some cuts if they want to fit both guys under the cap. The only appreciable savings would come from Vernon Butler and Quentin Jefferson, so basically the team has a choice: re-sign Mongo and Williams and go into the offseason needing to rebuild the interior of their front 7, let those two walk and go into the offseason needing to build the right side of their OL and fill in at LB, or a little from each column.

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

It is possible Morse may retire due to these concussions.    That is a possibility that will play into paying Feliciano and Williams

Morse’s contract contains a portion of 2021 base salary that is guaranteed for injury only, so I believe that would get activated if he has to retire from concussions. That would actually worsen the cap hit for 2021,

so I expect that the team doc will clear him unless is massively irresponsible to do so.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

IMO the reason nobody is talking about Milano this week is that they know he's coming back soon. If he was going to be gone a long time there'd be pissing and moaning and it would make total sense.

Milano and Edmurds together make this a much better defense.

I think the results from the experiment of  Edmunds playing Milano's position will tell us where the team will be headed with regards to his extension

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think the results from the experiment of  Edmunds playing Milano's position will tell us where the team will be headed with regards to his extension

Haven't seen anything about Edmunds switching position. If I've just missed it ... I still doubt it's seen as an experiment in the way you're suggesting. More the best way to utilize the people who are healthy right now. EDIT: you're not referring to the very few plays last week when they switched him outside, are you? That would appear to be more about crossing up the offense than anything else.

I'd guess that cap (and possibly their view of his injury history) would be a lot more important in figuring whether we keep him or Feliciano or Daryl Williams than how Edmunds does in his position.

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I hope his agent talks him into signing a one year deal to hit the market when the cap is higher. 

If he does, IMO it would decrease the possibility that it would be us paying that contract. 

I howled last year about cap responsibility. I was shocked when they spent so much money before re-signing Dawkins and Tre, leaving us so little. Now it looks like doing that will hurt us, and more so due to COVID's effect on the cap next year.

Edited by Thurman#1

15 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Haven't seen anything about Edmunds switching position. If I've just missed it ... I still doubt it's seen as an experiment in the way you're suggesting. More the best way to utilize the people who are healthy right now. 

I'd guess that cap (and possibly their view of his injury history) would be a lot more important in figuring whether we keep him or Feliciano or Daryl Williams than how Edmunds does in his position.

If he does, IMO it would decrease the possibility that it would be us paying that contract. 

I howled last year about cap responsibility. I was shocked when they spent so much money before re-signing Dawkins and Tre, leaving us so little. Now it looks like doing that will hurt us, and more so due to COVID's effect on the cap next year.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that they could choose to dump Jefferson and Butler to keep Mongo and Williams. I mean, they do have Star coming back, and I think Zimmer is an ERFA, so their interior 4 going into the offseason would be those 2 plus Oliver and Harry; not inspiring but not dire straights either.

So you’d basically be looking at having to beef up at DL and LB with tier 3 FAs and the draft, but you’d keep your offense intact save for some role players like McKenzie and Kroft.

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The more I think about it, the more I believe that they could choose to dump Jefferson and Butler to keep Mongo and Williams. I mean, they do have Star coming back, and I think Zimmer is an ERFA, so their interior 4 going into the offseason would be those 2 plus Oliver and Harry; not inspiring but not dire straights either.

So you’d basically be looking at having to beef up at DL and LB with tier 3 FAs and the draft, but you’d keep your offense intact save for some role players like McKenzie and Kroft.

Based on the performance of each unit the past two seasons, I’d have a hard time understanding them not signing Williams and Mongo and revamping the D Front. 

Shuffle the deck and bring in a few new faces on D, keep the O intact. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

IMO the reason nobody is talking about Milano this week is that they know he's coming back soon. If he was going to be gone a long time there'd be pissing and moaning and it would make total sense.

Milano and Edmurds together make this a much better defense.

I just think it’s much easier to find a solid starting LB than it is to find a very good RT.. Good tackles go in the top of the 1st round... by the time you hit the bottom of the first they’re all gone.. I think Daryl Williams is the most important free agent for us to sign.. Dawkins, Morse and Williams provide Josh with all day to throw.. You gotta protect your franchise QB.. especially since we’re a passing team.. 

Mongo OTOH provides a lot of bite to this OL.. I felt like our line performed better with him at center and with Bates and Boettger at guard.. There is an easy out in Morse’s contract next year and I think we should take it and re-sign Feliciano to a 2 year deal around $6.5M-$7M a year.. Bates goes to backup center and guard, he’s more than capable..

Milano to me has been a disappointment this year... I’d take him back on a 1 year prove it deal but I would not pay him big money... I think you go LB round 1 and where we’re picking at the bottom of the first, usually there’s some pretty good ones available.. 1st RD MLB + Edmunds + Klein and we’re cooking..

At DT, don’t forget we’re getting Star Lotulelei back.. that should be a huge boon.. I’m not sure what Vernon Butler or Quinton Jefferson’s contracts look like but if we can get out of these contracts you do it.. Bills should draft a huge NT in the second round.. preferably in the mold of Ted Washington, Pat Williams or Sam Adams.. but I think if you take a true MLB RD1 and a massive NT RD2, our defensive woes will be long gone..

17 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I just think it’s much easier to find a solid starting LB than it is to find a very good RT.. Good tackles go in the top of the 1st round... by the time you hit the bottom of the first they’re all gone.. I think Daryl Williams is the most important free agent for us to sign.. Dawkins, Morse and Williams provide Josh with all day to throw.. You gotta protect your franchise QB.. especially since we’re a passing team.. 

Mongo OTOH provides a lot of bite to this OL.. I felt like our line performed better with him at center and with Bates and Boettger at guard.. There is an easy out in Morse’s contract next year and I think we should take it and re-sign Feliciano to a 2 year deal around $6.5M-$7M a year.. Bates goes to backup center and guard, he’s more than capable..

Milano to me has been a disappointment this year... I’d take him back on a 1 year prove it deal but I would not pay him big money... I think you go LB round 1 and where we’re picking at the bottom of the first, usually there’s some pretty good ones available.. 1st RD MLB + Edmunds + Klein and we’re cooking..

At DT, don’t forget we’re getting Star Lotulelei back.. that should be a huge boon.. I’m not sure what Vernon Butler or Quinton Jefferson’s contracts look like but if we can get out of these contracts you do it.. Bills should draft a huge NT in the second round.. preferably in the mold of Ted Washington, Pat Williams or Sam Adams.. but I think if you take a true MLB RD1 and a massive NT RD2, our defensive woes will be long gone..

I'd agree that it's easier to find a solid starting LB than it is to find a very good RT.

But you don't replace Milano with a solid starting LB. He's one of the absolute best pass defending LBs around and he's very instinctive and solid in the run game too. It's just as hard to find a Matt Milano as a Daryl Williams.

And every time Milano has been in this year the whole offense has been noticeably better, and not by a little bit. And please, enough with the Edmunds to outside stuff. The fans like it. The coaches show no sign of that. Just the opposite. 

IMO you don't get a Pat Williams or Sam Adams in the second round either, or at least the odds are very high against it (yes, I know Pat Williams was a UDFA but the odds are still stacked against it. I do know we get Lotulelei back and that should really help.

40 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I doubt it myself, but yeah, that's a reasonable possibility.

Edited by Thurman#1

Williams is the most important guy to keep and it's not even close because he's helping to protect the franchise QB (and the best defense...).  With Dawkins and Morse being excellent and at the other important positions on the OL, and with Ford and Bates under contract for at least another year and Boettger being a no-brainer to RFA tag, they can let Feliciano walk and still field an excellent OL.

As for Milano, they should make a reasonable attempt to keep him but he will probably get decent offers elsewhere.  Personally I think they should move Edmunds outside permanently and find a true MLB.

• Like (+1) 3

On 11/14/2020 at 8:21 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

After last year everyone was talking about Milano vs Dawkins....it could come down to Milano vs Williams. If Klein and Edmunds can play another couple of good games together, we may get our answer on Milano. 
$10-13mil a year for a Very good RT is a much wiser investment than a banged up LB’er.

Give me Daryl over Milano any day of the week. Better investment. 

The line is much harder to build than LBs. Rather find a way to keep Feliciano and Daryl. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/14/2020 at 11:28 AM, thebandit27 said:

I think they’re both goners to be honest. With the cap dropping and the relative ease of filling RT and off-ball LB, they’re more likely to let them walk and take the comp picks. Bring back Ty at RT and draft a few LBs.

RT hasn't been that easy for us, its been pretty bad actually.  Jordan Mills, Cyrus K were terrible.  I agree on the LB though

13 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

RT hasn't been that easy for us, its been pretty bad actually.  Jordan Mills, Cyrus K were terrible.  I agree on the LB though

we have not had a good RT in the last 20+ years...The last best RT was Williams our 3rd overall pick

On 11/14/2020 at 11:35 AM, klos63 said:

Nsekhe has hardly played in the year and a half with the Bills,  I can't imagine when he turns 36, he'll be counted on to be our RT if we lose Williams. Doesn't make much sense.

I would prefer they found a smart way to keep Williams.
and i prefer him over any LB we have in house if i am investing.
John should get paid for what he has given Bills so far. Flexibilty and run game mauler. But was injured and missed time.
As mentioned and Spain contract or there abouts sounds right :)

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2020 at 1:04 PM, Penfield45 said:

your joking right 

Klein is a mediocre player and nowhere near the talent Milano is LOL 

I think Bills are looking at D Lee to compare to Milano.

Milano is our best Backer when on the field. and gives McFrasier that flexibilty they so cherish . Milano can cover the whole field. I am huge fan but injuries might help us contract wise.

Going to be tough year for the Bills budget. Lets see how smart McBeanes finance team truly is :)

On 11/14/2020 at 1:59 PM, GreggTX said:

I'm not of the impression that Feliciano is anything other than average. Daryl Williams just made someone's all-pro team at the midpoint of this season. At least they are both experienced. Signing Williams to an extension should be a top priority. We need to draft or trade for a better pair of starting G's. I'd like Feliciano to backup at C and G, but I don't want to pay depth $7 mill/yr. We can find better starters. When will Morse be back?

Lets just assume Mitch is done after this year for health reasons. Do you pay Feliciano that money to play center ? worth thinking on

Edited by 3rdand12

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure the numbers will work out sadly John.

Trust the Beanes if they feel it is for the best .
As mentioned  above more than once , No small task under this coming years cap.

Edited by 3rdand12

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I hope his agent talks him into signing a one year deal to hit the market when the cap is higher. 

Assuming the league wide expectation is that the cap jumps back up in 2022 I do not expect players worthy of sizable long term contracts to take much of a hit.  Players looking at one or two year contracts are going to bear the brunt of that along with the overpaid/underperforming ones. 

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Yup, that’s generally how I see it too.  If you’re looking at the value you’re getting from each unit and player, then the defensive front seven and Morse may bear the brunt of the 2021 cap squeeze.  It makes sense to cut a little deeper on the underperforming side and keep the better performers on the better unit. But that’s speculation based on the worst case league cap situation.  I don’t know that it’ll be that bad.