What will a Jon Feliciano and Daryl Williams extension look like?

On 11/14/2020 at 8:21 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

After last year everyone was talking about Milano vs Dawkins....it could come down to Milano vs Williams. If Klein and Edmunds can play another couple of good games together, we may get our answer on Milano. 
$10-13mil a year for a Very good RT is a much wiser investment than a banged up LB’er.

All I know is Daryl has been amazing. We've waited awhile for a good RT.  Pay him....

3 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Cover 1’s Greg Tompsett was on Sports Talk Saturday on WGR this past weekend and gave a good basic idea of what they can/should do for cap space. 

With roughly 40 players signed on next year, they have about $2M in cap space.

They should have about $3.5M-$3.75M to roll over into next year.
Which takes the total to $5.5M-$5.75M

The easy cuts look to be Butler, Matakevich &

Lee Smith. These 3 alone save them about $12.5M.

That takes the total to about $18.0-$18.25.

There’s also some contract extensions that could be negotiated this off-season, in particular, John Brown, Jerry Hughes and Micah Hyde. Each guys extension could save $2M-$3M on the cap. Let’s say they extend two of them and average $2.5M in savings on each, adding another $5M in cap space.

New total would be roughly $23M-$23.5M

Lastly they could renegotiate with guys like Morse, Diggs or Addison in order to push some of their cap into the future. I believe this is a last resort for Beane and he won’t do it unless he can’t negotiate extensions with those listed above. 

Altogether $23.5M should be enough to:

1. Sign our current draft class ($3.5M)

2. Re-Sign about 5 guys around 750K-$1.5M ($5.5M) (guys like EJ Gaines this year, or maybe even a Ty Nsekhe or Tyler Kroft will come cheap this coming season due to the Covid restricted cap space) 

3. Re-Sign Feliciano to a Spain-eque deal (3yrs $5Maav, with an out after each year). 

Leaving us with about $8M-$9M to bring back Milano or Daryl Williams. And that’s with 40 on the roster, 7 draft picks, and another 5 players towards the lower end of the roster pay. 

I know Milano could get more elsewhere, but I have a feeling they’ll try to bring him back on a 1yr prove it deal around $6M-$7M. His injuries this season, combined with his affinity for the team, and his minimalist personality, tells me that something like this will get done as long as Milano comes back in this last part of the season and contributes.

I think you're right the remaining cap will come down to Williams or Milano. I personally think Daryl is far more valuable especially if we lock up Mongo. Milano is too small and injury prone. I'm not thrilled with Edmunds but I guarantee you we'll address the LB deficiencies this offseason.  Spend the final cap money on DW.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All I know is Daryl has been amazing. We've waited awhile for a good RT.  Pay him....

I think you're right the remaining cap will come down to Williams or Milano. I personally think Daryl is far more valuable especially if we lock up Mongo. Milano is too small and injury prone. I'm not thrilled with Edmunds but I guarantee you we'll address the LB deficiencies this offseason.  Spend the final cap money on DW.

Personally I agree with you. 
I just wonder what Beane and McDermott think. 
Also, if Daryl Williams keeps playing at this level, I see him getting a long term deal from someone. Jets come to mind as one, but there are about 5-7 teams with a good amount of cap space and OT’s are ALWAYS in high demand. Off-ball injury prone LB’s... not as much, so they might feel they can get better value from Milano at $7M for a year, as opposed to re-signing Williams to a long term 3-4 yr deal worth $10M+ per year. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The cap savings is the same whether you click pre- or post-June 1st.  So they're assuming he'll be a post-June 1st designation whether he's cut before June 1st or after.

Or all the Guaranteed money is paid out and that is what is remaining pre or post Jun 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Or all the Guaranteed money is paid out and that is what is remaining pre or post Jun 1

It hasn't.  There is still $5.5M in guaranteed money (unamortized signing bonus) that needs to be accounted for after this year.  Morse's salary next year is $7.025M and he has a $500K roster and $100K workout bonus.  Taking the salary plus bonuses, which is what you'd be saving by cutting him, and subtracting $5.5M from it, gives you $2.125M, whereas subtracting $2.75 gives you the $4.875M they show. 

Personally I'd love it if they saved $4.875M and were done with it, meaning no $2.75M cap hit in 2022.  But I doubt it.  Unless he retires in which case they can ask for it back, but likely wouldn't.

Edited by Doc

• 3 months later...
On 11/14/2020 at 1:05 PM, HOUSE said:

Everybody gets a BIG check

oprah-you-get-a-car.gif

Good Call!!

Seriously, there were some good predictions and some not so good predictions in this thread.....fun to read back through it now that we have all the answers.