Poyer on GMF

JMF2006

Anyone know what Thad Brown said to Poyer at practice today?

I was watching this podcast and hear that Poyer was chirping at Thad for something and he apparently followed up with it in the post practice questions but didn't know what it it was about.

didn't want to start a new thread.

Jordan Poyer interview up on BuffaloBills.com

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/jordan-poyer-find-a-way

4:22 in, Thad Brown comes up.  Jordan is Not Amused.  Mutes, looks off to his left off screen, says something, turns back.

Says "Thad, Bro, I thought we were on the same team, man!  I almost blasted you on Twitter yesterday but I had to keep it to myself, man.  I was a little upset.  I was a little upset"

Thad sounds surprised, apologizes, says "You can blast me now, I'm here" 

Poyer says "Nah, I'm gonna keep it in house, Man, but I was a little upset after you said that.  Gave me some fire though, gave me some fire."

Thad asks a question which doesn't make a lot of sense to me about how Poyer got to the point where he's angry about someone saying he's not the best safety in the league and is there a point where he remembers that happening and how he got to that point (????)

Poyer says "I believe I'm the best...that's just how I've always saw myself... as the underdog, people looking at me and telling me I was too small or too this or too that ...Right now at this point in my NFL career, I do believe I'm one of the best safeties in this football league. And what happened yesterday, ***** like that continues to drive me because that's the kind of ***** that's been driving me my whole entire life.  You're not good enough to go play DI, you're not good enough to play in the NFL.  Now, I walk out on that field No Fear of anybody, and I walk on that field feeling like I'm the best player on that football field and that's just my attitude, each and every Sunday."  He goes on to talk about being an all-state player on both sides of the ball in high school and still getting no respect.  Thad's questions end with him telling Poyer he can blast him on Twitter any time, and Poyer says "all good".

This is what Poyer is fired up about:

Jordan Poyer.  Now there's a guy who understands the Care and Feeding of Shoulder Chips - just enough to keep a good fire burning and nurture that chip for years, not enough to let it weigh him down or make him a berserker.  Usually.

14 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Anyone know what Thad Brown said to Poyer at practice today?

I was watching this podcast and hear that Poyer was chirping at Thad for something and he apparently followed up with it in the post practice questions but didn't know what it it was about.

See above.  Thad Brown tweeted that Jordan Poyer is a very good safety and having a superb year but Jamal Adams is better.  Right above statistics per game that render that conclusion...certainly a matter of perception and judgement.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

See above.  Thad Brown tweeted that Jordan Poyer is a very good safety and having a superb year but Jamal Adams is better.

FWIW, Thad Brown grew up a Jest fan.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

See above.  Thad Brown tweeted that Jordan Poyer is a very good safety and having a superb year but Jamal Adams is better.  Right above statistics per game that render that conclusion...certainly a matter of perception and judgement.

I'm seeing the situation as this.

Poyer telling Thad Brown "I thought we were on the same team" implies there was a connection and relationship behind the scenes as most good sports reporters try to cultivate.

Poyer feeling he is the best safety in the league is just to motivate himself and control what he can control, he has no desire to put himself above anyone else or mince statistics.  The best safety takes on that punishing block, sacrifices his body to make the tackle, etc.  I'm sure he realizes it could appear disrespectful to his peers and seeks to avoid that individual comparison perspective.

I think he's miffed at Brown because he felt behind the scenes Brown understood this but clearly it was not the case. 

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I wouldn't trade Poyer for Jamal Adams.

Poyer can cover and play box....Jamal is a one trick pony box safety with poor coverage skills.

Part of the plan was confusion on Sunday.  To get more big guys attacking from edges so Poyer went to line not as blitzer but to keep lineman busy while those big buys went from edge.  Someone at bar asked who is that on DL? I replied #21 Poiyer. He got his hands on lineman's chest and was pushing him into pocket.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

I'm seeing the situation as this.

Poyer telling Thad Brown "I thought we were on the same team" implies there was a connection and relationship behind the scenes as most good sports reporters try to cultivate.

Poyer feeling he is the best safety in the league is just to motivate himself and control what he can control, he has no desire to put himself above anyone else or mince statistics.  The best safety takes on that punishing block, sacrifices his body to make the tackle, etc.  I'm sure he realizes it could appear disrespectful to his peers and seeks to avoid that individual comparison perspective.

I think he's miffed at Brown because he felt behind the scenes Brown understood this but clearly it was not the case. 

I agree that Poyer is self-motivating and not trying to generate bulletin board stuff claiming to be the best.   I agree what the "thought we were on the same team" comment meant.  There's obviously a tension implicit for the press between cultivating relationships with players and the team they cover to obtain insider info and insights they can write about vs. to exercise their "journalistic judgement" to put unflattering observations or opinions in print.

But I think he was genuinely pissed that Thad Brown, watching Poyer on a team that outplayed the Seahawks and arguably Jamal Adams on Sunday, would say that Jamal Adams is better especially quoting stats that make clear it's an arguable point.  I can understand that.

I also think he felt a little betrayed by that judgement from a guy who has cultivated a connection and relationship with the team.  I can understand that, too.  I think some wiser heads on the team probably talked to him a little bit and told him don't start a twitter war, just let it motivate you  - Show don't Tell.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Part of the plan was confusion on Sunday.  To get more big guys attacking from edges so Poyer went to line not as blitzer but to keep lineman busy while those big buys went from edge.  Someone at bar asked who is that on DL? I replied #21 Poiyer. He got his hands on lineman's chest and was pushing him into pocket.

When you look at Poyer in the cut-off hoodies he likes to wear, the man is jacked.  He's got arm muscles the size of most human's calves.

Dawson Knox needs to practice blocking against Poyer, that guy's got it going on.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/11/2020 at 7:37 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean that comment might might make a little sense if we cut off that stats at sacks. But I mean Poyer keeps up with him pretty well for not being used that way and then he blows him out of the water in coverage.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Good on Poyer! A lot of guys sign a new long term contract and hit the snooze button (like Darius). Poyer has found another level instead. I agree with others that he's having the best season of anyone on our defense so far. I see Daryl Williams also made PFF's all pro team. Keep both of these guys under contract, please.

59 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean that comment might might make a little sense if we cut off that stats at sacks. But I mean Poyer keeps up with him pretty well for not being used that way and then he blows him out of the water in coverage.

I was listening to Chris Simms go on about how the Seahawks are really asking Jamal Adams to do a lot of things it's not reasonable to ask a safety to do, all the run coverage they ask of him and blah blah and found myself thinking "Man, That's just another Day at the Office for Jordan Poyer"

• Like (+1) 1