Justin Zimmer...most athletic DT in the past 15 years

Big Turk

Based on the numbers put up at the combine/pro days, there is a calculation called RAS that measures a player's athleticism and explosiveness and then it can be compared to see how they stack up against others at their position. 

"5" is considered average for their position, with "10" being the most athletic at their position.  

Justin Zimmer has the best RAS score in the last 15 years and scored a "10"...ahead of Suh and Donald even.  Dareus came in with a good score of 6.88.

Guess that explains how he tracked down Newton from behind so quickly...

Zimmer's amazing results included a 4.85 40-Yard Dash, a 33.5-inch Vertical Jump, a 7.01 3-Cone Drill and a 9-foot-9 Broad Jump. To top it all off, he also recorded a beastly 44 reps on the Bench Press.

https://www.stack.com/a/small-school-star-justin-zimmer-might-be-the-most-athletic-300-pound-prospect-in-nfl-history

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Wow pretty amazing #s, although he went to college at 230 lbs to play LB.  Played  DE at 270 and bulked up for NFL to move to DT.  Hard to project him to DT given no history at D1 College level.

Also, the NFL players on list are from 2006-2015 and includes 2016 prospects, so not last 20 years entirely.

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

And yet he was never drafted and bounced around on a handful of teams?

Hasn't been able to figure out how to turn his athleticism into production in the NFL but maybe that is changing?  

He almost did this exact same thing against the Chiefs...he was the player who knifed into the backfield and almost forced Edwards-Helaire to fumble late in the 4th before it was ruled his knee was down and overturned on replay review.

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

Wow pretty amazing #s, although he went to college at 230 lbs to play LB.  Played  DE at 270 and bulked up for NFL to move to DT.  Hard to project him to DT given no history at D1 College level.

Also, the NFL players on list are from 2006-2015 and includes 2016 prospects, so not last 20 years entirely.

I went to a different list that includes all RAS scores and nobody from the last few years is anywhere close to the top, so it is still valid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Based on the numbers put up at the combine/pro days, there is a calculation called RAS that measures a player's athleticism and explosiveness and then it can be compared to see how they stack up against others at their position. 

"5" is considered average for their position, with "10" being the most athletic at their position.  

Justin Zimmer has the best RAS score in the last 15 years and scored a "10"...ahead of Suh and Donald even.  Dareus came in with a good score of 6.88.

Zimmer's amazing results included a 4.85 40-Yard Dash, a 33.5-inch Vertical Jump, a 7.01 3-Cone Drill and a 9-foot-9 Broad Jump. To top it all off, he also recorded a beastly 44 reps on the Bench Press.

https://www.stack.com/a/small-school-star-justin-zimmer-might-be-the-most-athletic-300-pound-prospect-in-nfl-history

Amazing ...  list also shows that the intangibles also count for something.  Hard to read John McCargo’s name. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

He wanted to be LB then DE now DT? That's quite unusual!

It was a LB type tackle he did.

He's pushed around and ragdolled on some plays, and a disrupter on others. I mean it happens to everyone but he is more at the extremes of both. Weird.

• Like (+1) 1

Well right now we need one of those fat unathletic guys at the bottom of the list.  We have plenty of the athletic guys.

30 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, the struggles are definitely mental and technical for him, not athletic....

I think they seem him as a really good project with Kyle Williams type potential.

Or he can slim down like Zo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Yep.  And Russel Wilson was drafted in the 3rd round.  And Brady was drafted in the 6th round.  It happens.  Be happy Geeeennnneeee

27 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

He's pushed around and ragdolled on some plays, and a disrupter on others. I mean it happens to everyone but he is more at the extremes of both. Weird.

Pretty sure Lorax did the exact opposite.  D line to LB.

26 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I was reading an article from this August where he talked about how he basically has had to relearn everything because they want him to be a penetrator and disruptor and he wasn't used to coming off the ball in that way so he is still having to figure some things out. 

He definitely has potential...he was almost the hero in the KC game...if the ball would have come out a split second before Edwards-Helaire knee was down, the Bills would have had a first down at the KC 20 late in the game but it got overturned on replay...he seems to have a knack for these type of plays.

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It's been a mystery to me why he had never made it in the NFL.

When the Bills originally signed him as a UDFA I thought it was one of those rare steals............not quite like Jason Peters.........but I thought he was going to be a really good penetrating DT..........a great find.

Before training camp I remember Astro and I were both talking him up...........and then he did squat.

Glad to see he is making it in the NFL now but still don't understand what has taken so long...........he had the measurables and enough tape to back it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

IIRC he came into the league as an OL.

Yeah Alexander was amazing to not only be able to play that many positions but play them well enough to stick on an NFL roster for that many years.

He played TE, OLine, DLine and then finally LB. The ability to gain and lose that much weight to play different positions on both sides of the ball and still be effective is remarkable.

Edited by matter2003

53 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

I have seen mobile linemen used as heavy LBs before close to LOS behind line.  4-1-2-4 formation with the two LBs spread out more and extra lineman being closer between the 2 DTs.  

This may be a role on run downs for him.

59 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, the struggles are definitely mental and technical for him, not athletic....

I think they seem him as a really good project with Kyle Williams type potential.

He's 28 years old. He is basically peeking

There's not much room left to grow. It's a good story but he is nowhere near the potential to be a Kyle Williams type guy

Kyle Williams was starting 16 games in the NFL at 24. This kid is closer to 30. Great story but I don't think there will be much development

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

That's actually pretty similar to the resume of James Harrison at this point in his career and he went on to be a 4-time All-Pro and is so much the epitome for hitting hard that he is used in commercials as the representation of the pain of being tackled. I'm not saying Zimmer is the next James Harrison, but just saying that "never drafted, bounced around" does not immediately mean he can't possibly ever become a star. He's probably going to be a part-time player but who knows, and he's been fun to watch in the brief time we've got to see him so far.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

That's actually pretty similar to the resume of James Harrison at this point in his career and he went on to be a 4-time All-Pro and is so much the epitome for hitting hard that he is used in commercials as the representation of the pain of being tackled. I'm not saying Zimmer is the next James Harrison, but just saying that "never drafted, bounced around" does not immediately mean he can't possibly ever become a star. He's probably going to be a part-time player but who knows, and he's been fun to watch in the brief time we've got to see him so far.

So did Lorax honestly...in fact so much that he played TE, OL, DT, DE and then finally LB...

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Maybe he should go back to the 270 range and play DE or consider LBer where he could use his alleged great physicality better.  I see he often gets blown over by O Lineman as he appears to lose his balance and doesn't properly use his leverage

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

I take back my previous response...

Both Oliver and Quinnen Williams scored really high for DT's at 9.88 and 9.85 respectively...