Micah Hyde's Last Season In Buffalo?

corta765

12 hours ago, ytownblofan said:

Hyde is a leader both on the field and in the locker room, and if we have learned anything from McD he is willing to keep and continue to pay his leaders (looking at you Lee Smith). I personally would be shocked if we moved on from him. 

I agree but I would love to add someone that can bring the wood in run support 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 97bills said:

I agree but I would love to add someone that can bring the wood in run support 

I had a quick look for something that explains the role of a free safety.  Not sure it's the best, found this:

https://postemaperformance.com/free-safety-position-football/

Run-stopping

While they don’t have as physical of a role in the running game as strong safeties, run support is very important. As they usually are lined up in a deep part of the field, they have to find the ball carrier, pursue at the right angle, and make a solid tackle. For the majority of the game, they are lined up deep, which means they are the last line of defense. If a free safety is making too many tackles in the running game, that likely means that the defenders in front of them are losing their individual battle. The safety should be exactly that, a safety net that you hopefully won’t need but is there if they have to prevent a big play.

Note the point that the job of the free safety as a last line of defense, focuses on his ability to take at the right angle and make a solid tackle and to pursue the play if needed.  A free safety who "brings the wood"  too hard may tend to miss altogether, which is the very thing a good free safety is NEVER to do.  I mean, sure, it would be great to have Ed Reed or Eric Berry, but those guys were both drafted in the 1st round for a reason, and stayed on the teams that drafted them pretty much all career for a reason too. 

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had a quick look for something that explains the role of a free safety.  Not sure it's the best, found this:

https://postemaperformance.com/free-safety-position-football/

Run-stopping

While they don’t have as physical of a role in the running game as strong safeties, run support is very important. As they usually are lined up in a deep part of the field, they have to find the ball carrier, pursue at the right angle, and make a solid tackle. For the majority of the game, they are lined up deep, which means they are the last line of defense. If a free safety is making too many tackles in the running game, that likely means that the defenders in front of them are losing their individual battle. The safety should be exactly that, a safety net that you hopefully won’t need but is there if they have to prevent a big play.

Note the point that the job of the free safety as a last line of defense, focuses on his ability to take at the right angle and make a solid tackle and to pursue the play if needed.  A free safety who "brings the wood"  too hard may tend to miss altogether, which is the very thing a good free safety is NEVER to do.  I mean, sure, it would be great to have Ed Reed or Eric Berry, but those guys were both drafted in the 1st round for a reason, and stayed on the teams that drafted them pretty much all career for a reason too. 

👍🏼

On 10/30/2020 at 1:08 PM, Thurman#1 said:

I think the cap saving is even slightly less than that.

$4.05 M salary

$1.0 M roster bonus

$100K workout bonus

... so we'd get out of paying $5.15M, but ...

We'd be hit with $1.6 M in dead money. So the total saved would be $3.65 M ...

... unless he collects his contractual Pro Bowl bonus of $400K, and if he makes the Pro Bowl he'll have very easily been worth $4.05 M

You're right that $3.65M is not a lot of space and that we wouldn't get a comp pick, and that we would almost certainly have to spend yet more money to bring in an FA to replace him. The OP doesn't make any real sense.

The $1.6M from his signing bonus counts toward the cap whether he’s on the team or not.  His roster bonus and salary ($5.15M total) only count if he’s on the team.  So it’s a $1.6M hit if he’s cut or traded in the offseason or $6.75M if he is on the team.  The cap savings is $5.15M (less his replacement’s cost if you want to be technical).

Personally I want him on the team.  The only thing I’d want to see besides him playing out his contract would be an extension.  I will watch his play more closely since some are saying he isn’t having a good season.  Even if that’s true, he has played well up until now and he’s still only 29.  Maybe he’s playing with an injury or he’s trying to cover for the LBs.  I don’t know, but he has earned the benefit of doubt IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The $1.6M from his signing bonus counts toward the cap whether he’s on the team or not.  His roster bonus and salary ($5.15M total) only count if he’s on the team.  So it’s a $1.6M hit if he’s cut or traded in the offseason or $6.75M if he is on the team.  The cap savings is $5.15M (less his replacement’s cost if you want to be technical).

Personally I want him on the team.  The only thing I’d want to see besides him playing out his contract would be an extension.  I will watch his play more closely since some are saying he isn’t having a good season.  Even if that’s true, he has played well up until now and he’s still only 29.  Maybe he’s playing with an injury or he’s trying to cover for the LBs.  I don’t know, but he has earned the benefit of doubt IMO. 

I want him on the team as well. Unless we draft a safety high - which seems unlikely - or unless Marlowe or Jaquan Johnson are ready to take over, we'd have to replace him with a lower-priced FA which would likely mean a less effective player.

Thanks for the corrections, I screwed that up.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

Hyde has been a good leader, but I just don't feel like there was anything missing with Marlowe in there yesterday. Marlowe ends up with 6 unassisted tackles and a fumble recovery to end the game. Maybe if NE had a better passing game we would have seen Marlowe exposed more in coverage but Hyde just has failed to make almost any impact plays the last 2 seasons. Hyde had 5 ints in 2017 while in 2019 and 2020 he has had  just 1. I don't want to release players just to release them but going forward we need to start getting better value from the veterans we choose to pay as the cap situation requires it. Tough decisions need to be made and if they are not made then this team will not sustain any success. Good teams need to draft well and have young cheap talent  constantly replacing the bloated veteran contracts. 

3 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Hyde has been a good leader, but I just don't feel like there was anything missing with Marlowe in there yesterday. Marlowe ends up with 6 unassisted tackles and a fumble recovery to end the game. Maybe if NE had a better passing game we would have seen Marlowe exposed more in coverage but Hyde just has failed to make almost any impact plays the last 2 seasons. Hyde had 5 ints in 2017 while in 2019 and 2020 he has had  just 1. I don't want to release players just to release them but going forward we need to start getting better value from the veterans we choose to pay as the cap situation requires it. Tough decisions need to be made and if they are not made then this team will not sustain any success. Good teams need to draft well and have young cheap talent  constantly replacing the bloated veteran contracts. 

We played a team with the worst passing offense in the NFL, on a windy day.  I don't think the Free safety was going to be featured.  If he misses Seattle too, we can talk about marlowe as a suitable replacement free safety.

Just now, dneveu said:

We played a team with the worst passing offense in the NFL, on a windy day.  I don't think the Free safety was going to be featured.  If he misses Seattle too, we can talk about marlowe as a suitable replacement free safety.

Hyde playing against Seattle will mean nothing.  Hyde is useless out there.  I'm sure he will float around and make tackles 30 yards down the field.

45 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think the idea is being in the right place to make plays on the ball so they can't get multiple deep completions.  

You need more than that out a high paid FS.  You send out a rookie to stand back there and do that.

20 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

You need more than that out a high paid FS.  You send out a rookie to stand back there and do that.

Do tell.  I guess 32 GMs on 32 teams that value play at FS are just dumb then.

Look, at least educate yourself about the role of a free safety and why it's a difficult position to play and why teams around the league spend an average of $6M at the position  (the current world champions, KC, are spending $23M this year) before running off your mouth.

Hyde is not a "high paid free safety".  He's paid just slightly above average at the position.  When he's standing "off the TV screen" it's because that's what the play calls for him to do.

There's far more to a FS position than "stand back there" and there's a reason most teams don't have a rookie out there doing that, unless they draft one high.

• Thank you (+1) 1