Micah Hyde's Last Season In Buffalo?

corta765

Whenever I see a thread started that ends in a question mark it tells the story.  Someone is nervous about something and speculating what will happen.   

In the middle of the 2020 season, looking into the off-season is premature and a non-value added exercise.  I do not understand why people are so anxious about every little thing.

Hyde's on the roster and under contract.  Focus on the games and worry about potential off-season transactions when the season is over. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Murphys gone already.  Why hyde - and not Butler, Brown, or Matakevich?

I actually don't want Hyde to leave but I think that depends on what the cap is next season. If we do have to make cuts I hope it is more defensive and spend more money on offense. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Not true btw. Spotrac is already basing its estimates on the cap floor the teams have agreed to ($175m) and the Bills have $6m of space. They might need to cut one or two lower value guys to sign draft picks, but they don't need to go to things like re-working White.

I just looked this up, it looks like we should be ok. The Eagles, Cowboys and Falcons could be decimated by this. The cap right now is 198m and we have to spend up to 89%, if it drops to 175m that would mean teams that are right on the cap would need to cut 23mil worth of contracts to get under. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I actually don't want Hyde to leave but I think that depends on what the cap is next season. If we do have to make cuts I hope it is more defensive and spend more money on offense. 

I just looked this up, it looks like we should be ok. The Eagles, Cowboys and Falcons could be decimated by this. The cap right now is 198m and we have to spend up to 89%, if it drops to 175m that would mean teams that are right on the cap would need to cut 23mil worth of contracts to get under. 

Didn't even mention the saints.  

Bills have begun to hand out big contracts to the younger core players and have more decisions to make with Allen (more of a no brainer) but Edmunds and Milano have to be decided on soon as well. Tough decisions have to be made and Hyde has been a good player for us in the past but being sentimental and paying for past production will get this team in trouble in a hurry. We definitely need some youth on the back end and as opposed to his first 2 years, Hyde as been virtually invisible during these games the last year and a half. 

13 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Your over reacting to the ease of finding a player who is close in value either in draft or FA.

If you don’t want to be tagged with unintentional irony here, you really need to come up with some justification for this evaluation beyond a single missed play in the Ravens game that may have been to someone else’s address

13 minutes ago, corta765 said:

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Bills have begun to hand out big contracts to the younger core players and have more decisions to make with Allen (more of a no brainer) but Edmunds and Milano have to be decided on soon as well. Tough decisions have to be made and Hyde has been a good player for us in the past but being sentimental and paying for past production will get this team in trouble in a hurry. We definitely need some youth on the back end and as opposed to his first 2 years, Hyde as been virtually invisible during these games the last year and a half. 

Exactly. People are forgetting that good teams do this all the time. Id rather have Milano here then Hyde at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you don’t want to be tagged with unintentional irony here, you really need to come up with some justification for this evaluation beyond a single missed play in the Ravens game that may have been to someone else’s address

If your gonna be jerk and not rational that his play has absolutely regressed where it is a realistic discussion to consider letting him go so we can improve the fundamental whole that is on you. Most fans don't have hours to break down film including myself, the Ravens game was a pretty big play that of course sticks out. Against Dallas against Cooper he blew a pass deflection to try for the INT last year. This year Poyer has been carrying the defense as a whole and he is the one making plays. I do not understand why Bills fans get so hyper critical and upset because a player who had been successful in the past, now warrants criticism for failure and mistakes. Football is a sport that is big on asset mgmt, if we can improve the collective whole with his cap space and his play stays down it is a logical smart move. We have young plays with major contracts coming so at some point these discussions are going to happen on who stays and goes. I'd rather have Milano who is much younger (even with his injury issues) then Hyde at this point for the next four years given how much better the defense plays when he is in.

Edited by corta765

42 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Whenever I see a thread started that ends in a question mark it tells the story.  Someone is nervous about something and speculating what will happen.   

In the middle of the 2020 season, looking into the off-season is premature and a non-value added exercise.  I do not understand why people are so anxious about every little thing.

Hyde's on the roster and under contract.  Focus on the games and worry about potential off-season transactions when the season is over. 

Thank you for adding sanity to the world of Buffalo Bills fandom today.....a breath of fresh air.  Enjoy what we have not what could/might be.

Go BILLS!!!

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

I was taking a look today at Spotrac and what Hyde's dead cap hit is for 2021. Turns out if we cut him next season we only end up owing 1.6 mil of his 6.5 mil deal.

Hyde was a foundation guy I wanted when he was a FA in 2017 and his first two seasons he was easily one of the Bills best players and the pro bowl was well earned in 2017. The last season and half though his play has regressed to the point I would consider getting rid of him. Last season his big plays were limited and he was responsible for missing coverage on the big TD Baltimore had. For how good last years D was I felt Hyde was more along for the ride then being a big contributor. This season he has been a trainwreck missing plays left and right while Poyer has covered his mistakes all over. Safety is a spot you can draft or fill pretty cheap and the Bills have found good safeties in the later rounds of the draft. Aaron Williams we converted to safety and was tracking to be a pro bowler before injuries wrecked his career.

I would rather see the Bills cut Hyde and Murphy to use for cap space to sign a better pass rusher or LB to help next season. Micah has done a fine job helping to bring the Bills to a new level, but we can get ahead of his regression especially considering he will be 30 next year also.

I just watched the All-22 from the Ravens game real quick... that was 100% NOT Micah Hyde’s fault. 

Both and Hyde and Poyer were on the right side of the formation. Hyde was lined up against Nick Boyle and Poyer was lined up against Hayden Hurst. Hurst was off of the LT and Boyle was off of him. Hyde and Poyer were right next to each other. 

Boyle made a break into the flat and then came back across the field. Hurst ran a route in the middle of the field and Poyer just lost him in coverage. Hyde was working back towards the middle of the field with Boyle as the pass was thrown and recognized the blown coverage and made an attempt to get down field to make a play... he was the closest player to Hurst when he scored, but it wasn’t Micah’s fault. 

For the most part this entire defense has been pretty bad this season other than the 2nd half against the Jests. What changed in the 2nd half ? ... Did McCoach take over the play calling duties over Frasier ? ... It's happened before.

I'm looking forward to the game Sunday to see if they continue to play how they finished up the Jests game or if they go back to looking conservative and at best, bland.

I was taking a look today at Spotrac and what Hyde's dead cap hit is for 2021. Turns out if we cut him next season we only end up owing 1.6 mil of his 6.5 mil deal.

Hyde was a foundation guy I wanted when he was a FA in 2017 and his first two seasons he was easily one of the Bills best players and the pro bowl was well earned in 2017. The last season and half though his play has regressed to the point I would consider getting rid of him. Last season his big plays were limited and he was responsible for missing coverage on the big TD Baltimore had. For how good last years D was I felt Hyde was more along for the ride then being a big contributor. This season he has been a trainwreck missing plays left and right while Poyer has covered his mistakes all over. Safety is a spot you can draft or fill pretty cheap and the Bills have found good safeties in the later rounds of the draft. Aaron Williams we converted to safety and was tracking to be a pro bowler before injuries wrecked his career.

I would rather see the Bills cut Hyde and Murphy to use for cap space to sign a better pass rusher or LB to help next season. Micah has done a fine job helping to bring the Bills to a new level, but we can get ahead of his regression especially considering he will be 30 next year also.

The only problem is Hyde is a player that exemplifies the physicality the Bills need to play with, more than anyone on the roster. Finesse teams get buried in the NFL. That hit in the  Jets game was clean but more importantly , inspirational to  teammates and fans. Hyde is a leader and he has plenty left 

Hyde is on the last year of his contract next season.  His cost is reasonable for his play.

Bills D is suffering on the D-Line and especially against the run.

Why create a possible hole at FS?  Let's see how everyone is playing at the END of the season before overreacting.

PS.  Restructuring the last year of his contract without extending his contract is pretty much not going to happen.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, corta765 said:

If your gonna be jerk and not rational that his play has absolutely regressed where it is a realistic discussion to consider letting him go so we can improve the fundamental whole that is on you. Most fans don't have hours to break down film including myself, the Ravens game was a pretty big play that of course sticks out. Against Dallas against Cooper he blew a pass deflection to try for the INT last year. This year Poyer has been carrying the defense as a whole and he is the one making plays. I do not understand why Bills fans get so hyper critical and upset because a player who had been successful in the past, now warrants criticism for failure and mistakes. Football is a sport that is big on asset mgmt, if we can improve the collective whole with his cap space and his play stays down it is a logical smart move. We have young plays with major contracts coming so at some point these discussions are going to happen on who stays and goes. I'd rather have Milano who is much younger (even with his injury issues) then Hyde at this point for the next four years given how much better the defense plays when he is in.

The cap savings is 4.5 million.  It isn't even a lot of space.  Don't get a comp pick either.  

You're sacrificing continuity on the back end for... the space to sign danny shelton or haha clinton-dix.  

Why is it milano or hyde?  Why not milano or brown, or milano or butler?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The place on the team where we're overpaying for underperformance right now is clearly DL.

IMO a lot of those deals were structured on the premise that our drafted talent Phillips, Oliver, and Epenesa would develop, and we would shed those contracts over the next 2 years with minimal dead cap.  If those guys don't develop as expected, that's the trouble spot.

It's always easier and cheaper to upgrade from awful to just "below average" -- that's what I see the Bills doing right now, trying to work guys like Zimmer into the mix. Is he good? Almost no one thinks that. Is he marginally acceptable, better than what we've gotten so far this year from Phillips/Oliver, etc.? Does he come cheap? Definitely.

The work that needs to be done on the defense within the likely salary cap structure is akin to what Beane and McDermott did with the O line after 2018, upgrading from some really awful performers to guys who are cheap and at least marginally acceptable. Replacement players in baseball parlance. Sub-replacement level performance is never acceptable because it can be readily upgraded.

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

It was Poyer who blew the coverage against the Ravens but ok. Don’t know what game you are looking at but Hyde is DEFINITELY NOT THE PROBLEM.

all that was asked of you was to provide some examples of Hyde’s deteriorating play, since you’re being so critical of it and claiming Poyer is constantly bailing him out. If you can’t do that (and the Baltimore play sure didn’t look like his fault, so you’re 0/1 great job) then I suppose you deserve “jerky” replies. Personally I think you don’t know what you’re looking at.

If I remember correctly Poyer had a rough game against the Texans in the playoffs last season.  Its a good thing they didn't move on from him this year given how he is playing.  I agree with others that he and Hyde remain one of the best safety tandems in the league and expect that to continue.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

That's ridiculous. There's nobody ready to replace him.

I suppose you're right that maybe they could draft someone but the idea that they should use one of their top couple of picks on a safety to play in 2021 instead of say a pass rusher or an LB, just to save $3.6 mill is just seriously bizarre.

If we did cut him we'd have to bring in a safety as an FA, which would cost money.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Hyde and Poyer are huge pieces to being able to disguise coverages...he is very important and there is no reason to cut him when they could easily restructure or make other moves.

You greatly underestimate his importance on this team.

restructure as in extension and commit to more years 

or do you mean ask him to easily take a pay cut?