With players coming back from injury/ healing up, do we see a jump in performance?

Don Otreply

Imo, The reason for the drop off in play has been the culmination of multiple injured players, but with Mongo, Levi etc coming back and others having some time to heal up I think we will see a better product on the field going forward. I think we take care of business this Sunday and in effect take control of the AFCE, and move forward with a high level of confidence. How do you guys see this going forward? 

For once the Bills have a demonstrably better roster.  This Sunday to me is going to be coaching staff versus coaching staff.  It will be very interesting to see how Belichek attacks J Allen.  On offense I think they have the personnel to run the ball down out throat,  Could be a great chess match and a great litmus test for McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

For once the Bills have a demonstrably better roster.  This Sunday to me is going to be coaching staff versus coaching staff.  It will be very interesting to see how Belichek attacks J Allen.  On offense I think they have the personnel to run the ball down out throat,  Could be a great chess match and a great litmus test for McDermott.

Their offensive line is suspect and has two injuries this week. Don't be so sure to jump on the bandwagon of "they're going to kill us on the ground."

Edited by clayboy54

52 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I agree that the real challenge in this game is Belicheck's ability to exploit our weaknesses.  I don't really think they are a team who can run the ball down our throat, at least not on paper, but they will certainly try.  I am imagining we will see a bunch of screens and dump off passes, and really hope the Bills have an answer on Defense.

I’m thinking with the projected weather, that with Allen using a short to intermediate passing game combined with an active run game we can pick them apart, in essence bring death by a thousand cuts to the pats as a  game plan, much like the have done to us for nearly twenty years. With the team on an upswing health wise I think we as well can bring some heat to bear on Seattle down the road. I am confident that the bump in the road we saw was just that, a bump in the road. 

Go Bills!!!

13 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I agree that the real challenge in this game is Belicheck's ability to exploit our weaknesses.  I don't really think they are a team who can run the ball down our throat, at least not on paper, but they will certainly try.  I am imagining we will see a bunch of screens and dump off passes, and really hope the Bills have an answer on Defense.

Remember that Belichick's scheming however great it may be, is only as successful as the players trying to execute it. This year, the Pats just don't have the horses to accomplish the ideas in BB's mind. Between their opt-outs, defections and injuries they are a much weaker team physically. It doesn't mean they won't still try, but it means that the match-ups are much more in our favor on both sides of the ball. Plus, it looks to me like Gilmore might be checking out, or at least thinking about it.

You always meet the same teams on the way up and on the way down. This year the Bills are the team on the way up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Yep, i expect the Pats rBs to get a lot of catches.  In the Brady era the catching RBs were painful to watch get excessive YAC.  Belichek might try to replicate that with Cam.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Imo, The reason for the drop off in play has been the culmination of multiple injured players, but with Mongo, Levi etc coming back and others having some time to heal up I think we will see a better product on the field going forward. I think we take care of business this Sunday and in effect take control of the AFCE, and move forward with a high level of confidence. How do you guys see this going forward? 

Very very likely a jump in performance. It's what happens with nearly any team getting back multiple injured guys, unless other guys get injured in their places. Particularly as the injured guys are crucial and gathered together among certain position groups. 

The question will likely be how much of one. Big or small?

On defense, more milano means less Klein, means better defense.

on offense, more Smoke means more pressure on the opposing D.  It’s still up to Josh and Daboll to take what the defense is giving them and draw up plays according.  Vs Belichick, it’ll be interesting 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Very very likely a jump in performance. It's what happens with nearly any team getting back multiple injured guys, unless other guys get injured in their places. Particularly as the injured guys are crucial and gathered together among certain position groups. 

The question will likely be how much of one. Big or small?

Fingers crossed for “big” 

but even a more modest improvement will certainly benefit both the “D” and “O” and   as those guys get back into game  level fitness it will help bring in the next three consecutive wins. 

Has anyone heard anything more on John Brown? We really miss that guy on the O side,

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I'm wondering if we saw the defense just straight up figure some things out that they can carry over to the rest of the season. That was an excellent 2nd half.

This needs to be said again and again. 

The bills allowed 4 yards in the 2nd half of the last game. 

4 yards in 30 min 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Not a good sign if a few injuries cause that huge of a difference.  Not a good sign if a team needs to stay perfectly healthy to compete.  Green Bay won a Super Bowl with something like 17 players on IR. If a team cannot effectively navigate injuries during a course of a season and still maintain a level of play that isn't a huge dropoff that is a problem...especially when it isn't related to a starting QB being injured.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

HUGE test for McClappy.......Ole Clappy McClapper needs to step up.....I like the guy but some of his decisions leave me wondering WTAF????

28 minutes ago, Nester said:

This needs to be said again and again. 

The bills allowed 4 yards in the 2nd half of the last game. 

4 yards in 30 min 

I mean...maybe it's just that it was the Jets. But we clearly made adjustments, and they worked. I was very encouraged by that.

Also, it was one of our least bad 3rd quarters of the year! XD

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Not a good sign if a few injuries cause that huge of a difference.  Not a good sign if a team needs to stay perfectly healthy to compete.  Green Bay won a Super Bowl with something like 17 players on IR. If a team cannot effectively navigate injuries during a course of a season and still maintain a level of play that isn't a huge dropoff that is a problem...especially when it isn't related to a starting QB being injured.

Its not a few injuries, Levi, Norman, White, Milano, Edmunds, Ford, Feliciano, Moss, Knox, Brown, that’s ten starters, that’s near 50% of our fielded starters, and that’s  not counting other backups players that are injured,  it makes a huge difference, citing one example of a team lucky enough to be able to overcome that many injuries is not the norm by any means. Could we have done better, sure, but considering the number of dinged up guys, not by much. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

While I agree with what you are saying I am of the mindset that the Bills aren't "quite there" yet.  Lightening in a bottle is hard to catch.....they could and they couldn't.  The lack of O-line and D-line is really hurting them this year......