Fe'Zahn Tremaine Edmunds scouting report tells us exactly what we see on the field.

LB48

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think the thing the stats miss is Kuechly’s excellence in coverage. Throws not made because he had his guy covered are great plays but don’t show on the stat sheet. His coverage ability—which depended at least in part on his fantastic play recognition ability—is what separated him from the merely very good MLBs.

He was certainly exceptional in man coverage, and probably overall better than Edmunds in zone, but I don’t think the gap in zone coverage ability is very large.

Nevertheless it’s a salient point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 11:10 AM, thebandit27 said:

“run the play until you see him choose a gap, then just go the other way”...

Wait, so opponents can just re-route their entire blocking scheme and play design mid-play based upon which gap Edmunds shoots?

No. 

The RB, like in a zone run. You have a big mess of blockers, and Edmunds, the one free guy who needs to make the play, standing straight up 7 yards behind them. Easy to get him to bite on one move. Edmunds needs to look at the RB's belt buckle, and stop hopping up when he takes on a blocker. Shoot the gap and rip or swim with decisiveness and purpose.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, beavis said:

The RB, like in a zone run. You have a big mess of blockers, and Edmunds, the one free guy who needs to make the play, standing straight up 7 yards behind them. Easy to get him to bite on one move. Edmunds needs to look at the RB's belt buckle, and stop hopping up when he takes on a blocker. Shoot the gap and rip or swim with decisiveness and purpose.

I think Edmunds does best good run blockers. But without good d defense vs run he's exposed a bit.

2 hours ago, beavis said:

IMO he's gone from a great prospect with his size and speed but should never be playing ML.  

13 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

So is everyone in this thread going to recognize that he was absolutely everywhere today against the league MVP-lead offense?

Huge props to Tremaine today. He played his best game of the year.  Hopefully he can continue this play.

He had his 2nd pass deflection of the year.  The same amount as Tyrell Dodson.  This is the area of his game I’ve been so disappointed in this year.  He’s looked lost in coverage up til yesterday.