Do we make a trade or wing it?

Cubanmist

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So his $15.5M cap hit would put us about $12M over the cap. Cutting Murphy would save us $6.4M. That means we would only have to cut two to four guys to fit under the cap. It's a bit more complex than that because each has already been paid for 5 games and has 11 left, but ...

Can't happen. Cap problems.

Worth remembering that next year we have $2.5M left in cap space, and Watt next year will cost $17.5M in salary, so we go from $2.5 over (already have to cut someone just to fit our drafted rookies) to $15M under the cap. So we'd have to make major cuts, perhaps of Watt himself. Yeah, doesn't make sense.

Really doesn't make sense to make a trade for anyone who'd cost much more than minimum right now. 

To get better next year, they'll basically need draft picks to bring in affordable guys. Can't see them trading away any high picks anytime soon.

Murphy has a cap hit of $9,775,000 with with a dead cap hit of $1.75M, do s savings of about 8M. Bills have $4.4M in Cap space, so they can save 12.4M in cap space with those moves. In a trade, to get a 1st and a 2nd round pick, the Texans would agree to convert 3-4M of his current salary into a bonus, which means they'd eat that in cap space, freeing him to come to Buffalo

Due to injuries, CB and LB are definite areas of concern. For those wanting to see what Phillips can do, he's just been put on IR, and Lacey has been signed.

Tbh, I have a fair bit of faith in McD and Frazier's ability to coach up DBs, and pretty much all of the guys we have atm, have the right attitude to training and prep. If they bring another guy in (at CB) I would be happy enough that they have seen something in them, that they can work with.

At LB, I think we need to find someone with some speed, who they can coach up. Both Milano and Edunds are pretty quick on their feet, and our system appears to require that, whhich is why Klein looks out of place when he's on the field. Dodson has a chance, but I think we could do with a guy with more experience as well.

I don't know who that might be. Davis was mentioned earlier, but he's getting long in the tooth, and it would need a trade. The bonus being he would know the system.

Trouble is, with Rivera in Washington, he's probably quite valuable to them, as someone who can help their guys get to know the system, which will undoubtedly become similar to what McD runs.

2 hours ago, Buddo said:

Due to injuries, CB and LB are definite areas of concern. For those wanting to see what Phillips can do, he's just been put on IR, and Lacey has been signed.

Tbh, I have a fair bit of faith in McD and Frazier's ability to coach up DBs, and pretty much all of the guys we have atm, have the right attitude to training and prep. If they bring another guy in (at CB) I would be happy enough that they have seen something in them, that they can work with.

At LB, I think we need to find someone with some speed, who they can coach up. Both Milano and Edunds are pretty quick on their feet, and our system appears to require that, whhich is why Klein looks out of place when he's on the field. Dodson has a chance, but I think we could do with a guy with more experience as well.

I don't know who that might be. Davis was mentioned earlier, but he's getting long in the tooth, and it would need a trade. The bonus being he would know the system.

Trouble is, with Rivera in Washington, he's probably quite valuable to them, as someone who can help their guys get to know the system, which will undoubtedly become similar to what McD runs.

I think the idea of Thomas Davis makes sense, but the Bills had their chance to sign him and they didn't(or he decided to go elsewhere) and signed Klein. They do need help at CB and LB. I think if you want another LB you call up Alexander and offer him a contract. I think a trade for a CB is much more likely than at LB.

11 hours ago, appoo said:

Murphy has a cap hit of $9,775,000 with with a dead cap hit of $1.75M, do s savings of about 8M. Bills have $4.4M in Cap space, so they can save 12.4M in cap space with those moves. In a trade, to get a 1st and a 2nd round pick, the Texans would agree to convert 3-4M of his current salary into a bonus, which means they'd eat that in cap space, freeing him to come to Buffalo

Sorry, man, that's not how you calculate it. The roster bonus and work out bonus have already been paid this year. You'd only save the salary, or the part of it has has not been paid yet. Oh, wait, he's also got $500K in per game active bonuses. So you'd save $6.925M. Or rather 3/4 of that, since we've already paid a quarter of his salary and a quarter of that bonus.

And no, the Texans wouldn't agree to eat up cap money for us. Their cap situation is pretty much as bad as ours. A lot of the reason that trade would appeal to them (actually it wouldn't, but if they did it, opening cap room would be a major reason) was the ability to save cap money. They wouldn't eat more. They don't have much more cap available than we do. They're already $11.5 mill UNDER the cap next year. Yes, next year they'd save Watt's salary but would also have to replace him, either paying Murphy or bringing in someone else. You can't ignore that but even if you did they would have almost nothing left after paying their draft class. They're not going to swallow extra cap this year for our consideration.

And again, it would turn next year's Bills cap from +$3 mill to -$15M. Simply does not make sense in any way.

Really doesn't make sense for them to trade for anybody much above vet minimum. This year and in particular next year's cap figures are a tight choke collar around our necks right now. Their freedom is very limited. They can do some wiggling, but not enough to do much more than move from extremely limited to very limited.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/12/2020 at 10:03 PM, Thurman#1 said:

So his $15.5M cap hit would put us about $12M over the cap. Cutting Murphy would save us $6.4M. That means we would only have to cut two to four guys to fit under the cap. It's a bit more complex than that because each has already been paid for 5 games and has 11 left, but ...

Can't happen. Cap problems.

Worth remembering that next year we have $2.5M left in cap space, and Watt next year will cost $17.5M in salary, so we go from $2.5 over (already have to cut someone just to fit our drafted rookies) to $15M under the cap. So we'd have to make major cuts, perhaps of Watt himself. Yeah, doesn't make sense.

Really doesn't make sense to make a trade for anyone who'd cost much more than minimum right now. 

To get better next year, they'll basically need draft picks to bring in affordable guys. Can't see them trading away any high picks anytime soon.

His salary isn't guaranteed next year so it could be a rental if he is cut.  They need draft picks.  Need need a dline

Just now, Hebert19 said:

His salary isn't guaranteed next year so it could be a rental if he is cut.  They need draft picks.  Need need a dline

My understanding is that his salary is not guaranteed next year and if we cut them we could rent them for a year if he didn't to extend