Do we make a trade or wing it?

Cubanmist

You want a semi-realistic fantasy trade? 

JJ Watt. He has a 15.5M cap hit with no dead cap penalty (which makes it a lot more appealing to the Texans). 

The Bills would either trade (but likely cut) Trent Murphy, saving saving about 8M in Cap space, add that to the 4.5M in cap, get the Texans to convert 3M of his salary to a salary bonus, send them a 21 1st, and a 22 2nd, and  the Bills would have a stud DE, who they are free to extend or cut in 21 with no dead cap penalties. 

5 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Falcons Tak McKinley is someone I'd look at.  Atlanta declined his 5th year option and he's been battling a nagging groin injury.  They'd probably give him up for next to nothing.  Bring him in, let him heal up and learn the system for a couple of weeks, and then use the rest of the season as an extended audition. Could be a nice situational pass rusher down the stretch.

I'd be down with this.

Texans badly need to clean house on their roster. and they should be looking to move everyone but Watson and Tunsil

5 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Falcons Tak McKinley is someone I'd look at.  Atlanta declined his 5th year option and he's been battling a nagging groin injury.  They'd probably give him up for next to nothing.  Bring him in, let him heal up and learn the system for a couple of weeks, and then use the rest of the season as an extended audition. Could be a nice situational pass rusher down the stretch.

Problem is that you need to cut someone from the 54 to get him, and I'd rather keep Trent Murphy 

20 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I've never been thrilled having Edmunds the Mike. Stick him outside and give Minnesota a 2nd for Eric Kendricks. 

We don't really play an OLB. Base D is a 4-2-5, and the two backers are hybrids who have run support, blitz and coverage responsibilities.   Hence both Milano and Edmunds both being plus athletes. The difference is that Milano is a bit more reactive than Edmunds right now, though Edmunds gets way more criticism than he deserves.

If you really want to get rid of Edmunds, while keeping McDermott as coach, then you're going to have to draft Micah Parsons or something. Not a lot of backers who can play that position in this defense. 

8 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Deion Lewis In Atlanta is Probably the best cover LB in football and would be an upgrade over Milano. Doubt they trade him. 

I just don’t see the Bills trading for anyone, the biggest wow, would be a FA signing for someone still out there. 

It makes a lot of sense on paper, but I can’t see whoever is calling in the shots in Atlanta making big roster moves as an interim.  From a coaching standpoint, Morris is going to eat the to win as many games as possible to either win the Atlanta job or end up as a HC or DC elsewhere.  Trading away one of the best players on defense doesn’t help him win now.  

There were also people clamoring for the Bills to trade for Myles Jack.  I can’t see Jacksonville trading him for the same reasons.  They need to win now

1 hour ago, appoo said:

JJ Watt. He has a 15.5M cap hit with no dead cap penalty (which makes it a lot more appealing to the Texans). 

The Bills would either trade (but likely cut) Trent Murphy, saving saving about 8M in Cap space, add that to the 4.5M in cap, get the Texans to convert 3M of his salary to a salary bonus, send them a 21 1st, and a 22 2nd, and  the Bills would have a stud DE, who they are free to extend or cut in 21 with no dead cap penalties. 

Do you honestly see an interim GM trading  a captain and one of the most-respected members on the Texans to benefit the franchise in the future, when they might not be employed in Houston 4 months from now?

Maybe the new GM makes this move but not the lame duck.

Edited by JohnNord

1 hour ago, appoo said:

I cannot envision anybody in their right mind giving up a first for Watt with his injury history.  I’m not going to jump into the numbers right now, but he’s going to be cut as soon as they can afford the dead cap hit, he’s a has been and hasn’t been in some time. EDIT: contract is not guaranteed so it’s better for an acquiring team, cap hit still there for Houston.

He’s been healthy 1 year of his 6 year extension, just not worth it.  I’m a little surprised they didn’t cut him this year, but probably delusions had O’Brien thinking he was making a championship run and Watt was a big part of it.  He won’t be on that team next year.

Edited by DCofNC

Just now, DCofNC said:

I cannot envision anybody in their right mind giving up a first for Watt with his injury history.  I’m not going to jump into the numbers right now, but he’s going to be cut as soon as they can afford the dead cap hit, he’s a has been and hasn’t been in some time. 

That's now. He doesn't have a dead cap hit this year or next year. The final 2 years of his contract. 

Let me offer a rebuttal to your main point though.

While I agree he's had some recent injury problems, when he's been healthy, he was elite in 2018, and elite in 2019 week 1 - 8, prior to tearing his pectoral (which is more of a freak injujry, and not at all related to his historical back injuries)

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankings-the-nfls-top-25-edge-defenders-ahead-of-the-2020-nfl-season

And he's been really good THIS year as well

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

That's now. He doesn't have a dead cap hit this year or next year. The final 2 years of his contract. 

Let me offer a rebuttal to your main point though.

While I agree he's had some recent injury problems, when he's been healthy, he was elite in 2018, and elite in 2019 week 1 - 8, prior to tearing his pectoral (which is more of a freak injujry, and not at all related to his historical back injuries)

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankings-the-nfls-top-25-edge-defenders-ahead-of-the-2020-nfl-season

And he's been really good THIS year as well

My rebuttal would be simply an age check, and to say I’m not giving up a first round pick for anybody over 30 unless it’s a QB and one without an injury history.  He’s been an injury waiting to happen and a lot of the pressure he has generated in his career actually came from lining up inside, working over the slower guards.  He was a FORCE, when healthy, but his 2 sacks this year don’t get me super excited and honestly he hasn’t been the game changer since 2016.  He was completely unblockable for a couple years, but he’s not that guy anymore. 

8 hours ago, appoo said:

So his $15.5M cap hit would put us about $12M over the cap. Cutting Murphy would save us $6.4M. That means we would only have to cut two to four guys to fit under the cap. It's a bit more complex than that because each has already been paid for 5 games and has 11 left, but ...

Can't happen. Cap problems.

Worth remembering that next year we have $2.5M left in cap space, and Watt next year will cost $17.5M in salary, so we go from $2.5 over (already have to cut someone just to fit our drafted rookies) to $15M under the cap. So we'd have to make major cuts, perhaps of Watt himself. Yeah, doesn't make sense.

Really doesn't make sense to make a trade for anyone who'd cost much more than minimum right now. 

To get better next year, they'll basically need draft picks to bring in affordable guys. Can't see them trading away any high picks anytime soon.

Edited by Thurman#1