Who else collects sports cards?

Brennan Huff

46 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I’ve done a couple box breaks and I’ve never hit anything good. I love Dave and Adams though. They always have great deals. Right now singles are 50% off. I got a couple nice Allen’s and Eichels for cheap. I also picked up a game used Stevie Johnson signed cleat for 75 bucks. You can really get carried away in that store

Wow 75 for the game used cleat is pretty great!  I'll have to stop in again.    Thats a good find.

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Wow 75 for the game used cleat is pretty great!  I'll have to stop in again.    Thats a good find.

Yeah man it’s a good thing I live an hour and a half away or else I’d be there blowing my paychecks weekly. They have a big sale going on on former players. Full size helmets 50% off. I almost picked up a Scott Norwood helmet for 100 bucks. 

11 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Yeah man it’s a good thing I live an hour and a half away or else I’d be there blowing my paychecks weekly. They have a big sale going on on former players. Full size helmets 50% off. I almost picked up a Scott Norwood helmet for 100 bucks. 

Same here.  I live around the same distance away, but otherwise I'd be there at least once a month.   I'll have to check out their website.  Thanks for the heads up and Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I found a Josh Allen pube and have it graded at a perfect 10.0... comes with its display case. It is priceless but I guess I could part with it for 10 million.

Go Away No GIF by Holly Logan

11 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How's Bases Loaded on French Rd doing?

Denny's used to have hologram Grand Slam cards for a few years. Go in, eat breakfast, and if you asked, they'd give you a few packs. I had three straight years (91-93) with entire sets. I ate a LOT of Denny's on OP Road as a kid.

The reason for the story? I could not find the Will Clark card to save my life. I had my parents drive me around to many Denny's where I'd simply go in and ask for a pack of cards. Never got one. Finally went to Bases Loaded, and they had one in the case. I think I paid $5 for it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I see those but those are more for the real high end boxes. What I see a lot of are blaster boxes of Mosaics that go for 19.99 a box at Target. People are buying every box on the shelf and then flipping them online for 80 bucks a box

If you can go to Target and get the box for $19, why would you pay $80 online. Every town has a Target

My friend breaks $20 boxes and $200 boxes

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you can go to Target and get the box for $19, why would you pay $80 online. Every town has a Target

My friend breaks $20 boxes and $200 boxes

1. People are going to Target early when the venders get there and buying every single box of football cards there is. I guarantee you if you go to your local Target all you will find is hockey cards. If you’re lucky there might be some topps baseball 

2. I live in podunk Portville NY. The nearest Target to me is an hour and half away 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

1. People are going to Target early when the venders get there and buying every single box of football cards there is. I guarantee you if you go to your local Target all you will find is hockey cards. If you’re lucky there might be some topps baseball 

2. I live in podunk Portville NY. The nearest Target to me is an hour and half away 

I have been collecting pretty steadily for almost 50 years... my interest wanes sometimes, but not much.  I have an obscene quantity of Buffalo related stuff (Bills, as well as Sabres and Braves! Old Celtics too.)… now I just pretty much buy exactly what I want on EBAY. Doing breaks can be fun if you hit something big...but way too expensive to justify, if you don't.

I will occasionally buy a blaster box at Target, but like you, have noticed the shelves are completely empty.  I think there was a resurgence in collecting, just since the pandemic started.  People were stuck home, with lots of time on their hands.  I know, I was furloughed for 5 months, I spent a lot of that time going through old boxes of stuff...selling some valuable old stuff, so I could buy overpriced new stuff!  Been collecting Bills Mosaic cards the last few weeks...the products today are really nice, but almost too much. 

My tactic with newer stuff is to wait a while to buy it.  It is always way overpriced when it's new...but when the next season rolls around, the value drops.  In 2018, rookie Josh Allen cards were selling for somewhere between $50-80 on average.  I didn't buy a single one.  Now, I have about 40 different ones, all purchased between the 2018 and 2019 seasons, for a fraction of those prices.

Typically, I sell off my extra stuff...I sell records/CD's as well.  I just bank that money in my Paypal account, and use it to buy stuff.  It works out pretty well.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

I used to collect as a kid, specifically hockey cards and anything Rickey Henderson. As think have over 500 different Rickey Henderson cards alone yet the industry became too saturated with special edition cards etc. that I gave up. Toss in a close buddy of mine who owned the 7th Inning Stretch on Hertel passed away so kinda loss my fun with the hobby. Yet I do look at my cards from time to time and if see someone selling a lot on ebay I might spend some money to see if can add a new card here and there but rarely look to buy individual cards only as it's way too expensive or nobody sells single cards anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

I have been collecting pretty steadily for almost 50 years... my interest wanes sometimes, but not much.  I have an obscene quantity of Buffalo related stuff (Bills, as well as Sabres and Braves! Old Celtics too.)… now I just pretty much buy exactly what I want on EBAY. Doing breaks can be fun if you hit something big...but way too expensive to justify, if you don't.

I will occasionally buy a blaster box at Target, but like you, have noticed the shelves are completely empty.  I think there was a resurgence in collecting, just since the pandemic started.  People were stuck home, with lots of time on their hands.  I know, I was furloughed for 5 months, I spent a lot of that time going through old boxes of stuff...selling some valuable old stuff, so I could buy overpriced new stuff!  Been collecting Bills Mosaic cards the last few weeks...the products today are really nice, but almost too much. 

My tactic with newer stuff is to wait a while to buy it.  It is always way overpriced when it's new...but when the next season rolls around, the value drops.  In 2018, rookie Josh Allen cards were selling for somewhere between $50-80 on average.  I didn't buy a single one.  Now, I have about 40 different ones, all purchased between the 2018 and 2019 seasons, for a fraction of those prices.

Typically, I sell off my extra stuff...I sell records/CD's as well.  I just bank that money in my Paypal account, and use it to buy stuff.  It works out pretty well.

I pretty much do the same, although lately I’ve been buying more cards and stuff. I’ve even bought a few mystery boxes from Pristine.com. My girlfriend says I have a problem 

12 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Did not get any EJ Manual cards, but I did buy into JP Losman and Lee Evans 15 years ago. Sitting on a ton of their cards

Bro, i have a bunch of rookie cards from when i was a kid- barry sanders, joe montana, etc.  This was the '90's, and cards were en vogue.  They're all just sitting in my attic, i have no idea how much they're worth.

29 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Bro, i have a bunch of rookie cards from when i was a kid- barry sanders, joe montana, etc.  This was the '90's, and cards were en vogue.  They're all just sitting in my attic, i have no idea how much they're worth.

Most of them are probably garbage. The big thing now is grading cards. If you got older cards and they’re in impeccable condition, then it would absolutely be worth it to send them into Beckett or somewhere to get graded. Increases the value tremendously. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Most of them are probably garbage. The big thing now is grading cards. If you got older cards and they’re in impeccable condition, then it would absolutely be worth it to send them into Beckett or somewhere to get graded. Increases the value tremendously. 

Word, i honestly hadn't thought about them till i saw this thread.  Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Tip #1 - Do not invest in EJ Manual cards.  Trust me.

I have about 125 different EJ cards.  I liked the guy okay...luckily his rookie year, the bottom was out of the card market, so they were never very expensive.

Speaking of QB's we'd all just assume forget...this guy may have been pretty mediocre, but he had one of the nicest looking autographs...

trent.png

• Like (+1) 1

I went through a phase in undergrad where I was collecting a lot of hockey trading cards.

I sort of outgrew the whole thing after a few years and I think still have the cards in a box somewhere at my mom's house.

I wonder if any of them are worth money now; they were mostly "Upper Deck" as I recall.

Me.

Sadly getting them posted to Australia is expensive.

When I get over the the US, i try to hit up the Walmarts/Target.

Yet to get a decent card yet. 

On 10/2/2020 at 2:42 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think we all learned our lesson on this already.  Sports “trading cards” are not a wise investment.  Don’t fall for it again.

Junk era cards were not wise investments. These days with the numberings + gradings, not so much.

I collect stickers and put them into their albums.

Mainly soccer international tournament ones but this year I've just managed to complete the Panini NFL 2020 sticker and card collection. The first time I've attempted that. 

It's a lot easier to make trades these days due to sites like laststicker.com where you can see what other traders have and need and arranges swaps. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.