Oooh, this looks SO cool - let's take a picture!

\GoBillsInDallas/

Oops! I guess the signs and the rails were meant for everybody

Years ago we went out to the west coast for a vacation. The first morning we are set to drive south from Monterey. I’m still in bed and the wife comes out of the bathroom saying she’s concerned about driving south along those cliffs over the ocean. I assure her that we are not living in a Third World country, there’s going to be plenty of room along the shoulder along with guard rails. I then hit the remote control turning on the TV get the morning news. The very first words we hear are “and last night a couple fell 400 feet to their death driving south along the Pacific Coast Highway.......”  Saturday Night Live could not have timed it better. 

• Haha (+1) 3

Saw something almost as cringe-worthy at Niagara Falls once.   

A couple were having wedding pictures taken on Goat Island.  For one shot, the photographer had them sit on a tree limb hanging out over the rapids.  In their gown and tux, they're scooching around on the damn thing and all I could think about was how short a marriage they'd have, just for a damn picture...

Edited by Lurker

9 hours ago, Warcodered said:

😬 as someone with a ridiculous fear of height(a few feet of the ground +my height is too damn high) that picture makes things tighten up. 

Right?  I had a buddy fall less than 4 feet off a ladder and seriously break his hip and a leg.  He needed help going to the bathroom for months.  Gravity is serious business and should be given the utmost respect.

47 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I had a buddy fall less than 4 feet off a ladder and seriously break his hip and a leg.  

I fell off my ladder at my old house while cleaning the roof before selling it. On the way down I assumed I would die. Sloped driveway, one slight wrong move.

I will never get on a ladder again without a second person holding it. 

And SCREW heights when not in a car or airplane. I rode the swings at Fantasy Island a few summers ago and almost started yelling for the guy to shut it off! I'm 42....

10 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I fell off my ladder at my old house while cleaning the roof before selling it. On the way down I assumed I would die. Sloped driveway, one slight wrong move.

And SCREW heights when not in a car or airplane. I rode the swings at Fantasy Island a few summers ago and almost started yelling for the guy to shut it off! I'm 42....

Don't leave us hanging!!  Did you die? 😳

On 9/30/2020 at 8:46 AM, Seasons1992 said:

I'm with ya.  I went on one of those "straight up in the air" type rollercoasters.  Let's just say..."we're never doing that again," and leave it at that.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm with ya.  I went on one of those "straight up in the air" type rollercoasters.  Let's just say..."we're never doing that again," and leave it at that.

See, the weird thing about me and roller coasters is, if I'm in one with the full over-shoulder upside-down harness, I'm TOTALLY fine, and enjoy the ride (minus the going up the big hill portion, but at that point, whatcha gonna do.....).

On 9/30/2020 at 6:46 AM, Seasons1992 said:

I came close while doing the gutters once;  the ladder fell, I managed to stay on the roof.   Classic case of letting the 'gotta get this done' mentality override the common sense of having a second person holding the ladder.  That was the last gutter I ever cleaned...worth paying someone younger to do it now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Seasons1992 said:

See, the weird thing about me and roller coasters is, if I'm in one with the full over-shoulder upside-down harness, I'm TOTALLY fine, and enjoy the ride (minus the going up the big hill portion, but at that point, whatcha gonna do.....).

I can do "normal" roller coasters, like what you're talking about.  This one was just basically "let's go really fast towards the sky and then stop really quick once we're really high."

Not fun.  Not fun at all.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

I came close while doing the gutters once;  the ladder fell, I managed to stay on the roof.   Classic case of letting the 'gotta get this done' mentality override the common sense of having a second person holding the ladder.  That was the last gutter I ever cleaned...worth paying someone younger to do it now.

I paid for a gutter helmet system.  That's where I am in life when it comes to heights.  :D