Happy with the win, not happy with the coaching staff

Beast

Seems like the default option is to blame the coaches when people can't point to specific plays/players.

But here's what I saw:

1) Bills are not stout against the run.  They have not effectively replaced Star

2) Rams are a good running team and ran effectively all game

3) Bills defense got worn down by end of 3Q

4) Once the pass rush evaporated, the Rams passing game opened up and things got ugly

Meanwhile, the coaching on the offensive side was terrific.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MPT said:

Complete? I really disagree with that. Secondary is one of the best in the league. Milano is awesome. 

I think we need a run stuffing tackle and linebacker for early downs and we're solid.

Very true, we have an elite CB, along with two great safeties. However, I do think the lack of a depth at CB2 causes a matchup nightmare against someone like the Rams. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Seems like the default option is to blame the coaches when people can't point to specific plays/players.

But here's what I saw:

1) Bills are not stout against the run.  They have not effectively replaced Star

2) Rams are a good running team and ran effectively all game

3) Bills defense got worn down by end of 3Q

4) Once the pass rush evaporated, the Rams passing game opened up and things got ugly

Meanwhile, the coaching on the offensive side was terrific.

I remember getting gashed on the ground with Star too. Edmunds needs to make a huge improvement against the run. He gets blown up and run over and misses tackles. I really thought he was going to look good this year but he's a liability right now.

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Very true, we have an elite CB, along with two great safeties. However, I do think the lack of a depth at CB2 causes a matchup nightmare against someone like the Rams. 

Yeah that's true. 3 out of 4 ain't bad unless the 4th gets beat every time.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Worn down? They had no answe for the Rams fast paced offense. McD was completely clueless in the 2nd half. Allen bailed em out.

And McVay was completely clueless in the first half when he could only score 3 measly points. He had no answer for the Bills' red zone defense. McVay lost them that game by not being able to score earlier and then fell flat at the end of the 4th when the game was on the line. He needed the refs to bail him out in the 3rd, but that still wasn't enough.

12 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Did the coaching staff make the defense turn to *****?

You could make that argument for not addressing run defense and failing to scheme for multiple elite receivers. Granted, blame lies with players for a lot of the stuff that happened today but it sure doesn't look like the coaching staff is ever ready for the second half.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Huh? How did the refs bail him out? They lost.

You are missing the point. The Bills defense has been exposed in the 2nd half for how many games?

They gifted him the ball back with good field position in the 3rd quarter after the Bills defense shut them down again. 

Try actually watching the game next time.

McVay's offense was exposed in the first half when he only scored 3 points and let the Bills get up to a 28 point lead at the start of the 3rd.

McVay failed and lost the game.

The better coach won today.

You lose, Scott. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Edmunds had always sucked against the run 

Yeah I know. For some reason I expected the coaches to turn a physical freak into a decent tackler and gap stuffer once he got some experience in the league and wasn't the youngest player on the field anymore. Either the coaches or the player or both have failed thus far.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

McD is awesome!!!! The Bills do nothing wrong! Better? 

Sorry the Bills won today, Scott.

I'm glad they don't have a loser mentality like you and some other posters on this board.

They fought through their mistakes and won like a well-coached team does.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Yet we are 3-0. So much for the other coaches’ adjustments 

Yeah we are 3-0 thanks to first half dominance and late game heroics by Allen. We are getting destroyed in the second half.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think a sign of bad coaching is when you give up big leads.  It shows that you let your team get complacent and have trouble putting the fire out when the opponent goes on a run.   I think McDermott is solid but needs to have more killer instinct with his team.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Our D is a mess....giving up 29 points in the 2nd half is unacceptable.

Everyone keeps saying how great our D is. They ***** the bed 3 weeks in a row and there's nothing real special about that.

But now everyone's talking about how great their offense is.

It kinda reminds me of the Chiefs' situation when they started putting up points with Mahomes.

Complimentary football is a real thing.

53 minutes ago, Beast said:

The Bills were gashing the Rams on the ground and got away from it in the second half, up by 25.

It reminded me of them folding in Houston last year.

We have the talent but I am starting to question if we have the coaching to take the next step.

Honestly, what happened today in the 2nd half was inexcusable.

They only stopped our offense what 2-3 times?

1 minute ago, bills6969 said:

I think a sign of bad coaching is when you give up big leads.  It shows that you let your team get complacent and have trouble putting the fire out when the opponent goes on a run.   I think McDermott is solid but needs to have more killer instinct with his team.

Is it a sign of bad coaching when you go down 28-3?

It's much easier to make half time adjustments than it is making in-game adjustments.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bills6969 said:

The players are playing the game.  It's mostly on them that they can't put teams away in the 3rd.

They are learning to win (yes that is a thing).