West Coast Under Fire

Just now, Chef Jim said:

In another city in the Valley.  PS is too crowded, too expensive and too gay.  Not that there is anything wrong with that. 

Ha! You’ll have a blast! We’ve had a vacation home in downtown PS for about three years now. There’s always something going on in town. At least there was until Covid hysteria took over. November can’t come soon enough. 

On 9/13/2020 at 11:43 AM, Chef Jim said:

So you’re an idiot?  Thanks for the admission. 

Carry on Mr Village Idiot.  

Hoax.  And you want to be my financial adviser?

19 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Maybe Trump could rake the federal forests.  Get a bunch of dudes in MAGA gear to grab some rakes and lawn bags and get the job done.  

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

numbskull anyones would think that.

What liberal has said forest fires are started by the temperature of the planet?

“Go Bills - this board has lost it's luster. 

I'll be back when Biden wins. Until then, sayonara all.”

-  Manbearpig

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

No.  I'm pretty sure this is not a hoax.  

Hell I don't even want to be your friend let alone your advisor. 

Fake news.  You want to be just like me.  

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The sad but really funny part is that these numbskull liberals think that forest fires are started by the temperature of the planet! People...please. The planet is not hot enough to spontaneously combust trees! 

Rule #2. 

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You are also original. Which is something he's proven to be incapable of as noted by his chosen catch phrases which were plagiarized. 

That's what makes him boring.  Lack of originality.   Fits right in with his buddy BillsTime.  

I also don't care to be a Woke Supremacist. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You are also original. Which is something he's proven to be incapable of as noted by his chosen catch phrases which were plagiarized. 

Hoax.  And rule #2, please. 

15 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

That's what makes him boring.  Lack of originality.   Fits right in with his buddy BillsTime.  

I also don't care to be a Woke Supremacist. 

Fake news.  You still want to be just like me.  And that’s ok. 

YA THINK? Suppressing fires has failed. Here’s what California needs to do instead.

There’s an overwhelming to-do list. But one of the clearest conclusions, as experts have been saying for years, is that California must begin to work with fires, not just fight them. That means reversing a century of US fire suppression policies and relying far more on deliberate, prescribed burns to clear out the vegetation that builds up into giant piles of fuel.

Such practices “don’t prevent wildfires,” says Crystal Kolden, an assistant professor at the University of California, Merced focused on fire and land management. “But it breaks up the landscape, so that when wildfires do occur, they’re much less severe, they’re much smaller, and when they occur around communities, they’re much easier to control.”

Plus: “That will require sweeping regulatory reforms, and tons of money.”

Maybe California should also try not chasing off their tax base.

9 hours ago, GG said:

Is Business Insider going to apologize to Joe Rogan for claiming he falsely said people were starting these fires?

The Southern California fire was started by people holding a gender reveal party. What’s your point? You think the fires are started by climate change? Because it’s REALLY REALLY REALLY hot outside? 😂

So, I did not believe it  as I never think of Texas as particularly forested. So, I looked it up:

California has 33 million acres of forest land (USDA)
According to 2011 figures from the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA (which is usda)), there are 62.4 million acres of forests and woodlands in Texas. (VERY little is public land, only 675K acres)

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

So, I did not believe it  as I never think of Texas as particularly forested. So, I looked it up:

California has 33 million acres of forest land (USDA)
According to 2011 figures from the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA (which is usda)), there are 62.4 million acres of forests and woodlands in Texas. (VERY little is public land, only 675K acres)

California’s fires are NOT caused by heat! They’re primarily due to the fact that we had a wet spring that spurred our undergrowth grasses to create excess fuel. Those grasses dry out all summer and burn when the winds pick up in September....every year. So this years fire are actually due to us having too much rain earlier in the year, not too little now. 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

California’s fires are NOT caused by heat! They’re primarily due to the fact that we had a wet spring that spurred our undergrowth grasses to create excess fuel. Those grasses dry out all summer and burn when the winds pick up in September....every year. So this years fire are actually due to us having too much rain earlier in the year, not too little now. 

I think the lack of brush clearing is the poor forest management part.  Texas has very little public forest land, I would think private owners would not allow ripe fire conditions (undergrowth) to accumulate.  (This is just a guess, however, because as I said, I was surprised that Texas had so much forested land.)

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

13 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Glass fire in Napa started overnight yesterday and is raging out of control in the northern valley.

St Helena is suffering significant damage to wineries, businesses, homes.  Calistoga just enacted mandatory evacuation.

:(

It was weird.  I listen to a talk show on KSFO on my morning commute via iHeart. There was an emergency broadcast alert ordering mandatory evacuations in Santa Rosa.