Why are the Bills sticking with such a poor punter?

BobbyC81

I'm sure this has been said already, but Bojo was third in the league for dropping the ball inside the opponent's 20-yard line, behind the Pat*, and I think the Chargers. I haven't seen a stat for dropping it inside the 10-yard line, but I think he was pretty good at that, as well. To my mind, also, I feel like he got steadily better as the 2019 season went on. I'd say trust McD, and Beane on this one.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Yes.  Jordan Berry, formerly of the Steelers, as well.

Shiz, not really a McDermott guy, but the talent was off the charts. Maybe, he can learn to not get flagged after every punt. 

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Beane does it again! Manage that cap around the kickers! 

Didn’t he have the punter version of AB-itis?

Thats the guy. He has talent.

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Wait. First you said he out-kicks his punt coverage. Now you say he would if his punt coverage team wasn't so good? Lol.

Nope. Numbers say he doesn't. And punting yards are a meaningless stat. He can't over-kick his coverage as you insist and only have 23% of his kicks returned. That is the best return-per-punt ratio in the NFL.

Besides, how would you even know what his punts look like unless you are in the stadium? Watching on TV? Uhhh, no.

There is this thing called coaches film on Game Pass. 

I am saying he outkicks his coverage. He gets away with it at times because the Bills coverage units are decent (not great, but decent). Bojo is an inconsistent punter who is definitely upgradeable. I suppose if punter is your weakness then it suggests you are not in a bad place as a team. But the reason the Bills keep bringing guys in to compete is because they have concerns about him too. How often did the Bills claim punters cut elsewhere when Moorman was in situ here? 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

There is this thing called coaches film on Game Pass. 

I am saying he outkicks his coverage. He gets away with it at times because the Bills coverage units are decent (not great, but decent). Bojo is an inconsistent punter who is definitely upgradeable. I suppose if punter is your weakness then it suggests you are not in a bad place as a team. But the reason the Bills keep bringing guys in to compete is because they have concerns about him too. How often did the Bills claim punters cut elsewhere when Moorman was in situ here? 

We'll have to disagree. He's not perfect and McDermott and Beane will always try to improve at every position. But he's hardly a disaster some make him out to be.

• Like (+1) 1

Back on page 4 Lurker posted a spreadsheet of all his 2019 punts.  A few obvious shanks but I think it supports Promo's view.  He had some very nice games vs. Titans, Browns and Broncos.  More consistency hitting them and maybe better directional control would be ways for him to improve and it's not like he can't still improve. 

• 2 weeks later...