Bills cuts toward the 53 man roster -Saturday cuts begin Pg 15

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, Magox said:

I completely recognize the potential for Dawson Knox being an overall TE talent but he isn’t so much an in-line blocker where he can at times handle D-linemen as much as he is in-space blocker.  That’s where he has shown some potential on the blocking front.  

Sweeney is who I believe that the Bills want to be the eventual replacement to Lee Smith.   When and if that will happen?  Who knows?  But that’s what I think that their hopes are.  No one on the Bills current roster will have the upside of Lee’s in-line blocking but if Sweeney can be ok to decent, I think they would be happy with that considering his receiving skills are considerably better than Lee’s.

I don't see Sweeney as an in line blocker either. At all. Sweeney is a pass catcher. 

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thanks, E. This season is SO strange

Knox acknowledges all this and claims he’s been working hard at blitz pickups, overall blocking and looking the ball in on catches. We’ll see. He has STAR written all over him if he can realize true growth in these capacities.

And in a rookie year, you can expect a 3rd round pick to make mental mistakes,

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, eball said:

Buffalo News is reporting this morning that the Bills expect to bring back Roberts and Marlowe.  They’ll probably IR Sweeney and Feliciano.

I think Sweeney is already on PUP and doesn't count on the 53. Wondering if Taiwan Jones may be headed to IR-R.

7 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I think Sweeney is already on PUP and doesn't count on the 53. Wondering if Taiwan Jones may be headed to IR-R.

Good point.  In any event, unless something goes awry and Roberts is pissed off at the Bills (unlikely) I expect him to be back in the mix.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Lee had a somewhat disappointing year last year with all those penalties he accrued negating some of his overall impact. Good, solid blocking and leadership qualities is what the Bills value and you would think that he won’t have a repeat of the mental lapses again.  I suspect that they would love for Sweeney to be the eventual replacement for Lee.

I don't think the holding penalties are going to change much, with the one on one matchups he is given against de's it looks to me like he's using everything in his bag to get it done. Sometimes that means some creative holding, which Lee is also good at, but sometimes gets busted for.

6 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I don't think the holding penalties are going to change much, with the one on one matchups he is given against de's it looks to me like he's using everything in his bag to get it done. Sometimes that means some creative holding, which Lee is also good at, but sometimes gets busted for.

He had all of 4 holding penalties last year. He has always been the TE to block DEs 1 on 1, and he has never had a penalty history.  There is no reason to think it was anything more than an aberration. 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I honestly think that in their ideal world Sweeney replaces Kroft next year and they don't have to go back to the draft or pay a free agent. 

I hope so.  Sweeney is a good enough receiver to be in this league but if he wants to have a successful meaningful career in the NFL, I think he needs to become more proficient with his blocking.

11 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I get that, but he did have a disproportionate amount of penalties and from my recollection some of those penalties were devastating drive stoppers.   I'm pretty sure he won't have a repeat of that again this year.  If you remember, they weren't just holding penalties, they were also for pre snap penalties as well.   Something that you wouldn't have expected from a vet like Lee.

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

I hope so.  Sweeney is a good enough receiver to be in this league but if he wants to have a successful meaningful career in the NFL, I think he needs to become more proficient with his blocking.

I get that, but he did have a disproportionate amount of penalties and from my recollection some of those penalties were devastating drive stoppers.   I'm pretty sure he won't have a repeat of that again this year.  If you remember, they weren't just holding penalties, they were also for pre snap penalties as well.   Something that you wouldn't have expected from a vet like Lee.

Yeah, the false start penalties are a problem that should be correctable. I guess it says something that McDermott can tolerate that by keeping him on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Yeah, the false start penalties are a problem that should be correctable. I guess it says something that McDermott can tolerate that by keeping him on the roster.

I think so...His leadership and overall blocking are an asset and I don't think it's an endemic issue with Lee.  Just some mental lapses that I doubt he'll repeat.

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He had all of 4 holding penalties last year. He has always been the TE to block DEs 1 on 1, and he has never had a penalty history.  There is no reason to think it was anything more than an aberration. 

That's still a big number for a te and the 8 total puts him at number one baby.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/position/tight-end?year=2019

Teams can begin signing up to 16 players to their practice squad beginning at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, September 6.

Everything you need to know about 2020 practice squad rules

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2020/9/4/21420151/2020-nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility-size-roster-cuts-covid-19-coronavirus#:~:text=NFL teams are cutting their,ET on Sunday%2C September 6.

• Thank you (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

That's still a big number for a te and the 8 total puts him at number one baby.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/position/tight-end?year=2019

But do you see my point? He has been in the league for a while, doing exactly what he did last year, and he never had a problem with penalties. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I would’ve kept Webb over both Barkley and Fromm....

Given what you saw this year at training camp? How did Webb look? I assume you saw practices where he outplayed the other 2 enough for you to feel confident going in to the season with just Webb as a backup.