Ertz & Philly negotiations at an impasse

appoo

Just now, Billl said:

Totally agree.  The team may not need Ertz, but if they don’t it’s not because they grabbed the 9th RB and the 17th and 30th WRs taken in the draft.

bingo.

and if we are 12-2 with a shot at homefield and a bye week... and take an injury or two in the passing game... I’m all for having a surplus of proven commodities instead of seeing who might be able to step up.

not a pressing need to be a playoff contender. The type of move you think about if you think you are a super bowl contender. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

bingo.

and if we are 12-2 with a shot at homefield and a bye week... and take an injury or two in the passing game... I’m all for having a surplus of proven commodities instead of seeing who might be able to step up.

not a pressing need to be a playoff contender. The type of move you think about if you think you are a super bowl contender. 

Imagine living in the year 2020, where the Chiefs are coming off a Super Bow won with a third year QB because they have the most talent-laden offense in the NFL, and saying the Bills don’t need another good receiving target because Dawson Knox isn’t a rookie anymore.

TBDissonace 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Imagine living in the year 2020, where the Chiefs are coming off a Super Bow won with a third year QB because they have the most talent-laden offense in the NFL, and saying the Bills don’t need another good receiving target because Dawson Knox isn’t a rookie anymore.

TBDissonace 

“Mahomes probably wouldn’t be as good in our offense”

”let’s build that offense”

”hold on, let’s see what these guys can do”

contender adds another weapon

”how do they do that?!? They will regret it someday”

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

“Mahomes probably wouldn’t be as good in our offense”

”let’s build that offense”

”hold on, let’s see what these guys can do”

contender adds another weapon

”how do they do that?!? They will regret it someday”

Imagine if the Chiefs had cap space instead of Sammy Watkins in the Super Bowl. Maybe cap space would have burned Richard Sherman a couple times too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I think we should sign everyone for what they want.

Seriously. Like every. single. player. Player XYZ just got cut? Sign him Beane! Player ABC is mad and wants a new contract? Trade for him Beane! Player 123 isn't available at all under any circumstances? Trade for him Beane! Make it happen!

22 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Imagine if the Chiefs had cap space instead of Sammy Watkins in the Super Bowl. Maybe cap space would have burned Richard Sherman a couple times too.

I guess if you come to play only one or two games a season, choosing the Superbowl as one of those is pretty smart.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Seriously. Like every. single. player. Player XYZ just got cut? Sign him Beane! Player ABC is mad and wants a new contract? Trade for him Beane! Player 123 isn't available at all under any circumstances? Trade for him Beane! Make it happen!

I guess if you come to play only one or two games a season, choosing the Superbowl as one of those is pretty smart.

It’s almost like having multiple weapons able to contribute at a high level any game is good.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Don't get me wrong.  Zach Ertz would be a fantastic addition.

But I'm curious to see how this offense looks to start the season.  We may not really need him.

- Addition of Stefon Diggs

- Drafting Zack Moss to replace aging Frank Gore

- Drafting two good-sized WRs in Gabriel Davis and Isaiah Hodgins

- Not to mention a year of experience for Dawson Knox and Tommy Sweeney at TE

All of these factors, plus hopefully another step in development for Josh Allen - and I think we may be good enough to score quite a few points on offense.

We really didn't struggle in the Red Zone last year.  Our biggest problem came between the 40s, and drive-killing mistakes.

I gave your comment a like because I too share your optimism about the fact that we traded for Diggs, drafted Moss, Davis and Hodgins, and that I also am hopeful that Knox fixes his drops issues and becomes the best TE this team has had since Metzelaars.  

HOWEVER, those are ALL just "ifs" at this point in time.  I do strongly believe that the Diggs addition is the closest thing to produce immediate dividends.  But for all the talk, all the hype surrounding Davis, and to a lesser degree Hodgins, these are still just rookies(4th and 6th rounders at that) who have yet to play a down in the NFL, at a position that typically takes a couple years to really get adjusted to, even for bonafide blue-chip 1st rounders.  And the same goes for Moss.  We're talking about a 3rd rd draft pick that hasn't seen the field yet, has been a little banged up in training camp, and isn't even projected to be the primary RB.  I think he has a great chance to be productive in his first year, however not sure how much of a "difference maker" he can be, especially this year.  I'm praying Knox has worked through his drops issues, and if he has, man his ceiling is sky high...but if we have the ability to sign a guy like Ertz, and I'm Beane, I'm breaking BOTH legs running to the phone to make this deal happen.  The guy is a proven top 5 talent at his position and takes our offense to certified ELITE status instantly.  No brainer.....i make this happen 100 times out of 100...

Edited by smuvtalker

1 hour ago, MJS said:

you know how you get a bye week, and just 2 home wins needed to reach the super bowl?

know how you get stuck trying to win 3 on the road to get there? 

having an overstocked roster with a wide array of guys that can step up is a great play instead of sitting on your hands. I won’t say beane is sitting on his hands but some fans are terrified of being the favorite instead of an underdog. 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

you know how you get a bye week, and just 2 home wins needed to reach the super bowl?

know how you get stuck trying to win 3 on the road to get there? 

having an overstocked roster with a wide array of guys that can step up is a great play instead of sitting on your hands. I won’t say beane is sitting on his hands but some fans are terrified of being the favorite instead of an underdog. 

Most of the players they want brought in are not that good.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

I gave your comment a like because I too share your optimism about the fact that we traded for Diggs, drafted Moss, Davis and Hodgins, and that I also am hopeful that Knox fixes his drops issues and becomes the best TE this team has had since Metzelaars.  

HOWEVER, those are ALL just "ifs" at this point in time.  I do strongly believe that the Diggs addition is the closest thing to produce immediate dividends.  But for all the talk, all the hype surrounding Davis, and to a lesser degree Hodgins, these are still just rookies(4th and 6th rounders at that) who have yet to play a down in the NFL, at a position that typically takes a couple years to really get adjusted to, even for 1st rounders.  And the same goes for Moss.  We're talking about a 3rd rd draft pick that hasn't seen the field yet, has been a little banged up in training camp, and isn't even projected to be the primary RB.  I think he has a great chance to be productive in his first year, however not sure how much of a "difference maker" he can be, especially this year.  I'm praying Knox has worked through his drops issues, and if he has, man his ceiling is sky high...but if we have the ability to sign a guy like Ertz, and I'm Beane, I'm breaking BOTH legs running to the phone to make this deal happen.  The guy is a proven top 5 talent at his position and takes our offense to certified ELITE status instantly.  No brainer.....i make this happen 100 times out of 100...

Yup. 

fills a nice niche with this roster and without a huge long term commitment can age off the roster as young guys get pay days. 

A set with ertz, diggs, brown, beasley, and singletary is actually elite instead of good. And has more depth. 

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

And somehow have a ring 

Edited by NoSaint

Knox has potential, but a handful of splash plays don't make him great. He needs consistency. As of now, he is not even average due to drops mostly. I think he will improve, but how quickly? Ertz would be a huge addition, but that also assumes that Allen makes enormous strides as a passer or he won't be able to take full advantage of his receivers.

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Yup. They had lots to spend and spent it on (now overpaid) career backups. Everyone is swooning over guys like Addison and Jefferson. Then again, we have a 'Josh Allen MVP thread, so why not? Diggs was the only impact player added this offseason other than rookies. I just hope Davis Moss and Epinesa pan out.

Edited by GreggTX