Practice updates week of 8/31

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

3 QBs,  4 RBs,  4 TE, 7WR, 9 OL =  27   how do it trim it to 26 or 25 ? 

I don't think the team can carry 7 WRs.   

The options are

* cut Fromm and hope he can be added to PS

* cut Roberts and hope McKenzie and Gabe can do KR and PR

Imo cut TE and WR. That plan was tripped up by the injury to Kroft. 

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

yeah that was a duck.  My thoughts exactly 

Jake Fromm #10 

Not much in the video to say why it was so horrible 

It was tipped.  If you slow it down you see it leave his hand in a tight spiral and then starts wobbling. 

47 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The options are

I think they keep just 2 QBs.  They could go 6 WRs or roll with 8 OL.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

The options are

Yeah, there is no way they keep 7. And I would bet that most teams are keeping 3 QB's this year, including the Bills.

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm confused.

I thought yesterday was the last day of media coverage for practice until the regular season.

It's basically regular season coverage injury report plus whoever they get to interview. Also some end of training camp summaries.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm confused.

I thought yesterday was the last day of media coverage for practice until the regular season.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

It's basically regular season coverage injury report plus whoever they get to interview. Also some end of training camp summaries.

I don't think we're allowed to talk about this, are we? ??

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

They can watch warmups and individual work as well. They just leave when the Bills move to team sessions (11 on 11 and 7 on 7).

Just now, 716er said:

Neither Hodgins or Davis had a single career rush in college. McKenzie is the sweep guy.. but it could behoove the Bills to groom Davis or Hodgins for that role if possible...

No.  They have completely different skill sets.  McKenzie is a quick-twitch speed guy.  Neither Davis nor Hodgins are suited to those plays.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 716er said:

Neither Hodgins or Davis had a single career rush in college. McKenzie is the sweep guy.. but it could behoove the Bills to groom Davis or Hodgins for that role if possible...

Diggs can possibly be the new sweep guy. In last 2 years he had 15 carries for 123 yds, better than McKenzie's 19 for 119 yds.  Andre Roberts can also serve in the sweep role.  

With Diggs or Roberts in there, teams won't be able to key on them running like they do when McKenzie is in.  I see McKenzie and Hodgins in a battle for backup slot position.  Roberts can play outside or slot and his KR/PR duties make him an almost lock.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Diggs can possibly be the new sweep guy. In last 2 years he had 15 carries for 123 yds, better than McKenzie's 19 for 119 yds.  Andre Roberts can also serve in the sweep role.  

With Diggs or Roberts in there, teams won't be able to key on them running like they do when McKenzie is in.  I see McKenzie and Hodgins in a battle for backup slot position.  Roberts can play outside or slot and his KR/PR duties make him an almost lock.

Hodgins isn't a slot guy either.  Both Hodgins and Davis are X/Z receivers.

10 minutes ago, eball said:

Hodgins isn't a slot guy either.  Both Hodgins and Davis are X/Z receivers.

Ok, some clarification needed here as now I am confused.  Z receiver is the slot receiver. 

And I believe they may use Hodgins as a Big Slot per Erik Turner at Cover 1.  Like Gailey used David Nelson.  https://www.cover1.net/isaiah-hodgins-buffalo-bills-roster-wide-receiver/

Big Slot

This is a role Bills fans have been clamoring for, and if they can acclimate Hodgins to the NFL quickly, then I could see him being their big-bodied target that can slide inside and do damage. The 6-foot-4 receiver has the size to mix it up with linebackers and strong safeties, but he needs to bulk up just a tad more to hold his own consistently. But what Hodgins does really well is run some of those tight end-type routes over the middle — but he understands how to find soft spots in zones. He is so good at getting to his landmark within the route concept but then adjusting and becoming QB-friendly. He routinely “runs to green” or locks eyes with his QB to get onto the same page in order to uncover.

Playing this role will be an adjustment because it wasn’t his full-time role at Oregon State. Over the last two years, Hodgins has only been targeted 39 times in the slot, registering 408 yards and five touchdowns to go along with zero drops. Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll dabbled with the big slot role with Duke Williams in 2019. Williams was in the slot 44.4% of the time in his limited usage last year, where he was targeted six times, catching three for 18 yards but also dropping a pass.

11 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Ok, some clarification needed here as now I am confused.  Z receiver is the slot receiver. 

And I believe they may use Hodgins as a Big Slot per Erik Turner at Cover 1.  Like Gailey used David Nelson.  https://www.cover1.net/isaiah-hodgins-buffalo-bills-roster-wide-receiver/

Slot is typically the Y receiver.  But if they want to incorporate a "big slot" with Hodgins so be it.