It's (the first of three) Record Store Day(s)!

Seasons1992

2020 is wack, so RSD isn't just one day like normal, it's spread out over three days for the rest of the year. Here are today's releases: https://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/576

Seems like the new thing is colored vinyl, splatter vinyl, lots of packaging, etc. Driving the costs up for sure.

The releases are limited compared to prior years, and here's why: https://pitchfork.com/news/devastating-manufacturing-plant-fire-threatens-worldwide-vinyl-record-supply/#:~:text=Apollo Masters—a manufacturing plant,California%2C The Desert Sun reports.

I was in line at my buddy's store 15 minutes early, and grabbed this: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/12362

I also got this, which I'm about to clean and listen to: 

image.png.d48c465798a709fc2c11eed55d9b00ed.png

There has never been a better time to dust off (and properly clean) your old vinyl, and tune up your record player. Or, start the hobby and really hear how music is supposed to sound.

Doesn't hurt that I have a monster Marantz from the 70's powering everything! 

Marantz Stereo Receiver Model 2330B

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I miss record store days... the Sound Exchange down the road closed (there is another location in N. Tampa but I'm not driving all the way up there) and there are no record stores in my area now. 

Nice on the Marantz... I've had probably a dozen over the years but sold them all on eBay, even a couple in non working condition, for crazy money. Right now I have an 80's Onkyo going but I have a Pioneer from the same era as yours in a walnut case that I'm going to break out when we buy a bigger house. It must weigh 40 lb's.

I have one of these, imo nothing will get a piece of vinyl cleaner than a Nitty Gritty.

NITTY GRITTY 1.0 Record Cleaner Factory Refurbished - $150.00 | PicClick

42 minutes ago, T&C said:

Nice on the Marantz... I've had probably a dozen over the years but sold them all on eBay, even a couple in non working condition, for crazy money. Right now I have an 80's Onkyo going but I have a Pioneer from the same era as yours in a walnut case that I'm going to break out when we buy a bigger house. It must weigh 40 lb's.

I have one of these, imo nothing will get a piece of vinyl cleaner than a Nitty Gritty.

NITTY GRITTY 1.0 Record Cleaner Factory Refurbished - $150.00 | PicClick

Mine weighs 50lbs. 130 watts per channel, two separate capacitors. I blew it up the first ten seconds I had it after refurb.......didn't have a source properly selected, and began turning up the volume. At 50% it popped due to having too much power with nowhere to go. Got it fixed (again) and learned how to use it. It's incredible.

I clean my vinyl with a paint edger, and a solution of rubbing alcohol, a natural plant-based cleaner, and water. Vacuum it off with microfiber attached to a shop-vac hose.

7 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Mine weighs 50lbs. 130 watts per channel, two separate capacitors. I blew it up the first ten seconds I had it after refurb.......didn't have a source properly selected, and began turning up the volume. At 50% it popped due to having too much power with nowhere to go. Got it fixed (again) and learned how to use it. It's incredible.

I clean my vinyl with a paint edger, and a solution of rubbing alcohol, a natural plant-based cleaner, and water. Vacuum it off with microfiber attached to a shop-vac hose.

I guessed on the 40lb's but they don't make them like that anymore... at least in a retail setting. How much did it cost you to have yours refurbished?

Couple of tips or/what to or not to do on your cleaning solution... don't use regular water, use distilled water. Be very sparing with the rubbing alcohol, if you use too much it will eventually dry out the grooves. If you can get a hold of a small bottle of film processing fluid that would be great... it helps keep a nice sheen when you are applying the liquid... just a few drops.

Here is what I use for the Nitty Gritty:

8 oz bottle

1 drop of Dawn

4-5 drops of film processing fluid

Tiny bit of rubbing alcohol, like 1/2 a capful if that

Fill with distilled water and shake.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T&C said:

I guessed on the 40lb's but they don't make them like that anymore... at least in a retail setting. How much did it cost you to have yours refurbished?

Couple of tips or/what to or not to do on your cleaning solution... don't use regular water, use distilled water. Be very sparing with the rubbing alcohol, if you use too much it will eventually dry out the grooves. If you can get a hold of a small bottle of film processing fluid that would be great... it helps keep a nice sheen when you are applying the liquid... just a few drops.

8 oz bottle

1 drop of Dawn

Hey...that’s the same solution I use to clean my *****!

I’m not a vinyl guy, but my mom has a huge collection and I love to pick out records to play when I visit.  We used to go to Record Archive a lot when I was a kid.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, T&C said:

8 oz bottle

1 drop of Dawn

Clarifications (as I listen to Paul’s Boutique):

Gallon distilled water, capful of natural cleaner, 1/3 gallon of rubbing alcohol. zero issues to date.

i only clean them one time. Before I play them. After that, I have a static carbon brush and a needle sticky dip pot.

my record store guy put a  “sold” sign on the Marantz and knew I’d want it. So it only ended up costing me about $700; they go for $2200. It’s completely redone internally. Flawless. Local guy here in Cincy. Brilliant young water department engineer.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Hey...that’s the same solution I use to clean my *****!

I’m not a vinyl guy, but my mom has a huge collection and I love to pick out records to play when I visit.  We used to go to Record Archive a lot when I was a kid.

Never heard of Record Archive. Where was it located?

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Clarifications (as I listen to Paul’s Boutique):

Gallon distilled water, capful of natural cleaner, 1/3 gallon of rubbing alcohol. zero issues to date.

i only clean them one time. Before I play them. After that, I have a static carbon brush and a needle sticky dip pot.

my record store guy put a  “sold” sign on the Marantz and knew I’d want it. So it only ended up costing me about $700; they go for $2200. It’s completely redone internally. Flawless. Local guy here in Cincy. Brilliant young water department engineer.

I haven't done any research on the receivers I have but the Pioneer I have is a SX-1000Ta... from 1968. Here is a pic of it... but the one I have is in the original walnut cabinet. I just weighed it and its 55 Lb.'s with the cabinet. 

That just seems like too much alcohol to me... maybe look at the Nitty Gritty website for a different take. I'd hate to see you ruin good vinyl man. 

http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/pioneerstereoreceivermodelsx-1000ta.html

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

I’m digging these vinyl tips.  Now I need a shop vac and film processing fluid, whatever that is.

i just picked up remastered 180 gram Gish- Pumpkins.  I love vinyl

I own that exact Gish album........worth it.

Pumpkins albums are EXPENSIVE. Siamese Dream for ONE disc is like $53!

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

I’m digging these vinyl tips.  

More nerdy stuff if you REALLY want to sound clean. And yes, this crap is expensive.

Needle cleaner (be gentle): 

https://www.amazon.com/ONZOW-ZERODUST-ZeroDust-Stylus-Cleaner/dp/B00ERPWAK2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=needle+cleaner&qid=1598798402&sr=8-1

Static/dust brush: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT6013a-Dual-Action-Anti-Static-Record/dp/B07HM7LG32/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=audio+technica+brush&qid=1598798448&sr=8-3

Gram scale to make sure your tone arm is perfectly weighted once done adjusting it, for the headshell you're using: https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-tocadiscos-calibrado-retroiluminación-cartucho/dp/B01N9TRSPC/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1ZT0OUIYBI48F&dchild=1&keywords=turntable+protractor+alignment+tool&qid=1598798481&sprefix=turntable+protra%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-9

Mirrored protractor for proper cartridge alignment (not easy but worth it): https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Phonograph-Cartridge-Protractor-Separately/dp/B079ZBLJ4M/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=turntable+protractor+alignment+tool&qid=1598798517&sr=8-3

And finally, if you have a moving magnet cartridge in an upscale player (mine is a full-manual.......most full automatics use a simpler version): https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-VM540ML-MicroLine-Turntable-Cartridge/dp/B01MEI1RPC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=16O51JCFNAXAN&dchild=1&keywords=audio+technica+vmn40ml&qid=1598798701&sprefix=audio+technica+vmn40%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-3

It's all worth it, if you set things up properly. Otherwise, you're wasting your money and time. It's like owning a 1963 split rear window Corvette: Get it set up properly and take care of it, and you'll love it. Don't, and you'll wonder why the hell you've spent $140k.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I've grown to dislike record store day.  It's basically a neckbeard flipping paradise, and I'm not going to wait outside at 4am so I can try to get what I want.

I miss record theatre.  The used vinyl room was an absolute goldmine

Yup. Like it on paper, less exciting in practice. I’ve learned to keep expectations super low, not go early and almost always come away happy with 1-2 oddball grabs I didn’t expect instead of getting my heart set on anything in particular and camping out to find they had 1 (or no) copies of the item. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Pete said:

I’m digging these vinyl tips.  Now I need a shop vac and film processing fluid, whatever that is.

i just picked up remastered 180 gram Gish- Pumpkins.  I love vinyl

The film processing fluid is what they use to process photo's in a dark room. It "spreads" the solution over the entire film/LP to be cleaned... If you have a photography shop near you it shouldn't be a hassle to buy a small bottle of it.

Are you the same Pete that posts on the Billievers site?

21 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Yup. Like it on paper, less exciting in practice. I’ve learned to keep expectations super low, not go early and almost always come away happy with 1-2 oddball grabs I didn’t expect instead of getting my heart set on anything in particular and camping out to find they had 1 (or no) copies of the item. 

It was great when it first started.  Unlike most things, I was an early-adopter of the vinyl resurgence.  Record Store day was for actual end-users to add to their collections.  It was a really cool event.

Many years later though, its only an ebay supply line.  Last round, I really wanted the Live Frogs from Colonel Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade.... to *gasp* listen to.  I went to the place on Hertel when it opened and dozens of people were there on lawn chairs.  People in front of me were just talking about what is "worth" what... and how many of X were being pressed, etc.  People were leaving with armloads.  By the time they were 10 people deep, it seemed like they were sold out of anything good, let alone what I wanted.

I ended up reluctantly paying a small premium for the Vinyl.... then it just gets released anyways even though it was supposedly an exclusive to RSD.  

I really wanted the Green Jelly Cereal Killer album from the April one last year 2019.  Same type of thing, but its still out there for $80 and I never bought it.

Edited by May Day 10

I went looking for this but it wasn't anywhere to be found.  Did find a tom tom club live vinyl from 1980, couldn't justify the price they were charging.  There was also a nice Throwing Muses LP released, i might go back today and pick both of them up

On 8/29/2020 at 12:00 PM, Seasons1992 said:

2020 is wack, so RSD isn't just one day like normal, it's spread out over three days for the rest of the year. Here are today's releases: https://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/576

Seems like the new thing is colored vinyl, splatter vinyl, lots of packaging, etc. Driving the costs up for sure.

The releases are limited compared to prior years, and here's why: https://pitchfork.com/news/devastating-manufacturing-plant-fire-threatens-worldwide-vinyl-record-supply/#:~:text=Apollo Masters—a manufacturing plant,California%2C The Desert Sun reports.

I was in line at my buddy's store 15 minutes early, and grabbed this: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/12362

I also got this, which I'm about to clean and listen to: 

image.png.d48c465798a709fc2c11eed55d9b00ed.png

There has never been a better time to dust off (and properly clean) your old vinyl, and tune up your record player. Or, start the hobby and really hear how music is supposed to sound.

Doesn't hurt that I have a monster Marantz from the 70's powering everything! 

Marantz Stereo Receiver Model 2330B

On 8/29/2020 at 7:32 PM, T&C said:

Never heard of Record Archive. Where was it located?

On 8/29/2020 at 7:52 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Nobody was like The House of Guitars for Albums 

House of Guitars®

645 Titus Ave, Rochester, NY 14617

hog18.jpg  

House%20of%20Guitars%20Records.JPG

and yes they have 

House%20of%20Guitars%20Round%20Display.J

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.