It's (the first of three) Record Store Day(s)!

Seasons1992

Dang, this snuck by me.

But as mentioned, RSD got popular then got wrecked by ppl looking to make a buck.

I’ve been fortunate enough in the past though to score some limited items the right way(in person & supporting the indie shops), and part of that is my most of my tastes aren’t necessarily targeted by the huge markup “resellers”.

That Talking Heads live looks tasty though. One of the top groups in our household, wife & I have matching “this must be the place” tatts :)

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

That Talking Heads live looks tasty though. One of the top groups in our household, wife & I have matching “this must be the place” tatts :)

It's really good for sure. I love that you have matching tats with that!

"Stop Making Sense" is a masterpiece of film. I try to watch it once a year. I listen to it often.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

It's really good for sure. I love that you have matching tats with that!

"Stop Making Sense" is a masterpiece of film. I try to watch it once a year. I listen to it often.

Welp, just ordered a copy of that 78 Live. Gotta have it!

Had the pleasure of seeing David Byrne at UBCFA, i wanna say 2004ish. Amazing stuff, and he’s a red-hot guitar player as well, was amazed by some of his solos & real time fill-ins.

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Welp, just ordered a copy of that 78 Live. Gotta have it!

Had the pleasure of seeing David Byrne at UBCFA, i wanna say 2004ish. Amazing stuff, and he’s a red-hot guitar player as well, was amazed by some of his solos & real time fill-ins.

My sister owns a bookstore, and got to meet him a few years back at a book-signing. She said he's pretty odd.

On 8/31/2020 at 3:45 PM, Seasons1992 said:

My sister owns a bookstore, and got to meet him a few years back at a book-signing. She said he's pretty odd.

So...reserve him a screen name here?

On 8/31/2020 at 11:11 AM, Seasons1992 said:

omg, surprised, oh my god Gif For Fun – Businesses in USA

Even worse is the fact I was wavering between that album, and the Who's 'The Who Sell Out'.  Banal pop won out.  At least one piece of old vinyl survived, thanks to the error of my ways.

• 3 weeks later...

It's busy out there in the record world. First time since CD's were introduced that vinyl has surpassed them in overall sales. 

I picked up the Allman Bros. special release, and splurged on Siamese Dream for (BARF) $55. Feeling frisky.

Currently listening to Ride the Lightning.

Full-size item image

Edited by Seasons1992

• 3 months later...
On 8/31/2020 at 8:30 AM, May Day 10 said:

It was great when it first started.  Unlike most things, I was an early-adopter of the vinyl resurgence.  Record Store day was for actual end-users to add to their collections.  It was a really cool event.

Many years later though, its only an ebay supply line.  Last round, I really wanted the Live Frogs from Colonel Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade.... to *gasp* listen to.  I went to the place on Hertel when it opened and dozens of people were there on lawn chairs.  People in front of me were just talking about what is "worth" what... and how many of X were being pressed, etc.  People were leaving with armloads.  By the time they were 10 people deep, it seemed like they were sold out of anything good, let alone what I wanted.

I ended up reluctantly paying a small premium for the Vinyl.... then it just gets released anyways even though it was supposedly an exclusive to RSD.  

I really wanted the Green Jelly Cereal Killer album from the April one last year 2019.  Same type of thing, but its still out there for $80 and I never bought it.

I just saw that green Jelly album Max Js Dartmouth Mass 

someone please explain record store day to me 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.