Housch$$ released

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This kid made 71% last year.  Who cares about tee-ing some practice kicks in camp?

Coach McDermott for one...

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

80%....in camp.  

Hauschka's worst was about that----in football games.

He was 0% in 2 games last year.  Namely the Browns game.  Thankfully it didn't change much WRT the outcome of the season.  But at 35, he's only going to get worse.

And patience.  The Bills have given-up too soon on several K's they've drafted.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

He was 0% in 2 games last year.  Namely the Browns game.  Thankfully it didn't change much WRT the outcome of the season.  But at 35, he's only going to get worse.

And patience.  The Bills have given-up too soon on several K's they've drafted.

Exactly, you also need a guy who consistently kicks touchbacks in today’s NFL. If I remember correctly, Hauschka struggled with extra points at times also. 

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Exactly, you also need a guy who consistently kicks touchbacks in today’s NFL. If I remember correctly, Hauschka struggled with extra points at times also. 

He did prior to joining the Bills.  But he missed one during the scrimmage which likely sealed his fate.  Along with Bass having the superior leg for kickoffs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I mean it's a good money saving move....

Amongst other reasons,  But it was you who asked... feel free of course to  continue to argue your perceived wisdom,  but those who know better,  ( like it or not) see it differently. But do continue, we are only on page fifteen for  the aging kicker being replaced by the up and coming young guy thread, so it likely needs more discussion on the topic. ? its 7:23 pm,  I’m going to get myself a beer, and dive into the YouTube rabbit hole for a while, later. ???

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

The kicker move was obvious but I think the punter “decision” is more interesting. I do not think Bojo is safe just because he “beat out” vedvik and Edwards. The bills seem to be in the punter market and though those two weren’t any better than bojo, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them sign someone else there at roster cut downs ...

Edited by YoloinOhio

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

LOL!  "McDermott is cheap!"

Well, he doesn't make money decisions.  

We all know Hauschka was on shaky ground before the draft.  Hardly the point.  This kid had rough year kicking FGs in his final year of 3--worse accuracy than Hauschka in his last 10 years.  And for such a big leg, his coach rarely put him out there to try a 50+.  He has only 4 attempts ever, and only made 2.

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The kicker move was obvious but I think the punter “decision” is more interesting. I do not think Bojo is safe just because he “beat out” vedvik and Edwards. The bills seem to be in the punter market and though those two weren’t any better than bojo, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them sign someone else there at roster cut downs ...

Unless he really sucks, he's likely safe for the year.  The Bills want him to develop chemistry with Bass.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, he doesn't make money decisions.  

We all know Hauschka was on shaky ground before the draft.  Hardly the point.  This kid had rough year kicking FGs in his final year of 3--worse accuracy than Hauschka in his last 10 years.  And for such a big leg, his coach rarely put him out there to try a 50+.  He has only 4 attempts ever, and only made 2.

So then...the Pegulas are cheap?

Anyway, Hauschka's time was up last year.  Hanging onto him because the rookie might not be as good isn't a good reason to not move on from him.  And it's not like there are tons of options out there.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

Unless he really sucks, he's likely safe for the year.  The Bills want him to develop chemistry with Bass.

So then...the Pegulas are cheap?

Anyway, Hauschka's time was up last year.  Hanging onto him because the rookie might not be as good isn't a good reason to not move on from him.  And it's not like there are tons of options out there.

The writing was on the wall when they tried to get chase McLaughlin back last year after either the browns or cowboys game - can’t remember which - and couldn’t do it. The Bills had moved on at that point 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The writing was on the wall when they tried to get chase McLaughlin back last year after either the browns or cowboys game - can’t remember which - and couldn’t do it. The Bills had moved on at that point 

Probably the Browns game where he went 0-2.

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

It's like watching an NBA shoot around, they make almost every one.  When the game starts, suddenly they can't.

Evidently Coach McDermott has a lot of faith in the kid. I hope he's right.  If you want to be a SB conteder, you gotta have a lights out kicker. Cheats always have one. Tom Landry always had one.  Peyton Manning's Colts did as well.

This does NOT seem like the year to roll with a rookie kicker.  But then again if it works Coach MCDermott will be a Coaching genius.

this is exactly where I am at. Seems like kicking in the NFL is like 99% mental. lot of risk with a rookie flaming out or just taking a while to figure it out.

also, to those who think we can just get another guy if Bass stinks, that free agent vet kicking carousel is a scary place. Haush is more of a known commodity than seeing if 50-year old Nick Folk still has it. 

that said, I really Hope Bass works out!! 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

this is exactly where I am at. Seems like kicking in the NFL is like 99% mental. lot of risk with a rookie flaming out or just taking a while to figure it out.

also, to those who think we can just get another guy if Bass stinks, that free agent vet kicking carousel is a scary place. Haush is more of a known commodity than seeing if 50-year old Nick Folk still has it. 

that said, I really Hope Bass works out!! 

Folk signed with the Cheaters because the kicker they drafted a round earlier sucks.