Housch$$ released

20 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I feel bad for Hauschka because he was never really the same after getting cheap-shotted, but it was time to move on.

I could be wrong but I feel like he missed a couple of kicks just before that. So maybe it was a coincidence? 

Feel like we have had good success with kickers when they come to Buffalo in their first year. Carpenter was great his first year. Hauschka too. Maybe we just need to sign guys to one year deals. 

19 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Missed this.  You beat me to it.   Although the 'roo attacking the golfer beats us both. ☺️

Not everyone ends up rooing the day...

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...

• Haha (+1) 2

19 hours ago, eball said:

Ha, figures you'd be against this move.  I didn't feel spoiled against the Browns last year, and if Hausch still had a decent leg we'd have been able to try a 54-yarder in a dome vs. Houston in the playoffs.

He was an excellent kicker for the Bills and has had a great career, but in Buffalo you need a strong leg and the writing was on the wall.  The fact that Bass was nearly 80% in college should ease people's minds.  He's gonna be very good.

Hauscka just got let go for 2 seasons of 79%.  How would "nearly 80% be an upgrade?  Bass was 20/28 (71%)  last year in college.  In the Sun Belt Conf...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hauscka just got let go for 2 seasons of 79%.  How would "nearly 80% be an upgrade?  Bass was 20/28 (71%)  last year in college.  In the Sun Belt Conf...

I spent some time looking at historical college kicking percentages...here's the career list.  It's interesting.  Bass is 81st all-time, which means he had a pretty damn good career.

Nobody is saying Bass is light years ahead of Hauschka right now but he's close enough that his upside and potential are worth making the change.  He is already better at touchbacks, which are important, and he gives the team an ability to try long FGs -- particularly at home -- that were no longer an option with Hauschka.

I'm sure as soon as Bass misses a 39-yarder you'll be one of the first to shout "SEE!!!" but it's bound to happen and we have to hope that his promise will meet his performance sooner rather than later.

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It doesn't matter what conference you kick in. No difference between kicking in the Sunbelt in the SEC

And bass also had a few kicks blocked because he had nobody blocking for him

One is a rising kicker who can boot it from 60+ the other is a kicker on the decline who is short from 50

5 minutes ago, eball said:

I spent some time looking at historical college kicking percentages...here's the career list.  It's interesting.  Bass is 81st all-time, which means he had a pretty damn good career.

Nobody is saying Bass is light years ahead of Hauschka right now but he's close enough that his upside and potential are worth making the change.  He is already better at touchbacks, which are important, and he gives the team an ability to try long FGs -- particularly at home -- that were no longer an option with Hauschka.

I'm sure as soon as Bass misses a 39-yarder you'll be one of the first to shout "SEE!!!" but it's bound to happen and we have to hope that his promise will meet his performance sooner rather than later.

He was ranked 72nd in the country last year in accuracy.  His career numbers are 78.9%, 90.5%, 71.4%.

But your theory is that it will be easier for him to kick FGs in the AFCE than it was way down in the sunny south against  Sun Belt teams?  Why would that be an intuitive conclusion?

Hauschka''s time had come, I think, but this kid struggled last season.  He has 2 career FGs over 50 yards. He's 25/32 (78%) career at 40-49.  Hauschka was 9/10 last year. 

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It doesn't matter what conference you kick in. No difference between kicking in the Sunbelt in the SEC

And bass also had a few kicks blocked because he had nobody blocking for him

One is a rising kicker who can boot it from 60+ the other is a kicker on the decline who is short from 50

If he had 2 kicks blocked, that's 78.6%.  And he was 90.5% and 78.9% the years before.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

He was ranked 72nd in the country last year in accuracy.  His career numbers are 78.9%, 90.5%, 71.4%.

But your theory is that it will be easier for him to kick FGs in the AFCE than it was way down in the sunny south against  Sun Belt teams?  Why would that be an intuitive conclusion?

Hauschka''s time had come, I think, but this kid struggled last season.  He has 2 career FGs over 50 yards. He's 25/32 (78%) career at 40-49.  Hauschka was 9/10 last year. 

Where did I say it would be "easier?"  I'd expect him to mature and get better as he goes, but the potential is already there.  The Bills didn't cut Hauschka to save money, they cut him because they believe Bass is a better weapon for them currently, and down the road.  As I've said elsewhere, Bass was better in camp than Hauschka when they kicked in the stadium.  I mean, Hausch just missed a PAT yesterday.

I absolutely hope that no game this season comes down to a Bass 45-yard kick, because I'll be biting my nails and holding my breath.  I still don't have a problem with the move.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He actually kicked in a swirling wind yesterday fwiw. Reportedly boomed a kickoff out of the end zone into the wind 

It's just the history of going with a rookie kicker is always more a roll of the dice than a veteran.  Especially without a preseason.  I just don't like it given how we've had a three year rebuild to get to this point and we have a wild card at kicker.

Edited by Doc Brown

31 minutes ago, eball said:

Where did I say it would be "easier?"  I'd expect him to mature and get better as he goes, but the potential is already there.  The Bills didn't cut Hauschka to save money, they cut him because they believe Bass is a better weapon for them currently, and down the road.  As I've said elsewhere, Bass was better in camp than Hauschka when they kicked in the stadium.  I mean, Hausch just missed a PAT yesterday.

I absolutely hope that no game this season comes down to a Bass 45-yard kick, because I'll be biting my nails and holding my breath.  I still don't have a problem with the move.

He's not very good a long FGs.  At least in games.  No better than Hauscka was last year, the year that got him cut, essentially.

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's not very good a long FGs.  At least in games.  No better than Hauscka was last year, the year that got him cut, essentially.

Ok.  I'm sure you've watched video of all of those kicks in college, too.  Not really sure what you want me to say.  I knew Hauschka would be gone the day they drafted Bass as long as he didn't schitt himself in camp.  There's no guarantee Bass will be great, and he might miss a couple of kicks Hauschka would have made, but I understand why, IN BUFFALO, they went with a kicker who has a powerful leg along with a decent FG% for his career in college.

2 minutes ago, without a drought said:

College vs. NFL hash marks are a big factor in the difference in percetages. This is especially true for longer FG's because the prior play is rarely used to set the ball in the middle of the field, it is usually about getting the first.

Thank you.  I was just about to say this.

14 minutes ago, eball said:

Ok.  I'm sure you've watched video of all of those kicks in college, too.  Not really sure what you want me to say.  I knew Hauschka would be gone the day they drafted Bass as long as he didn't schitt himself in camp.  There's no guarantee Bass will be great, and he might miss a couple of kicks Hauschka would have made, but I understand why, IN BUFFALO, they went with a kicker who has a powerful leg along with a decent FG% for his career in college.

Why would I have to see all of his kicks?  He had one very good year in college.  His last season he made 71% of his kicks, which is poor.

Why do you say he has a stronger leg when he has made 2 of 4 over 50 in his career and his career accuracy at 40-49 is not better than Hauschka's last 2 seasons of decline?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

And what's your point it's different in the NFL. lines block better the hash placements are different. Justin Tucker was only 83% in college. Harrison Butker had 2 years of 61 and 65 percent. By your "logic" Roberto Aguayo should be the best kicker in the league cause in college he had 95% in college. Kicking percentage in college really doesnt mean much

• Like (+1) 1