Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Don Otreply

Per the Washington Post, Big ten postponing/canceling the fall season

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Does this start the slide toward no college football? Or will the other power 5 schools play without the Big ten? Just read this in the Washington Post, what are you guys opinions on this. 
 

NY Times says Postponing till spring... 
 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
Wording

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Does this start the slide toward no college football? Or will the other power 5 schools play without the Big ten? Just read this in the Washington Post, what are you guys opinions on this. 
 

Go Bills!!!

 

I thought SEC was still trying to have a season. I think you will see no CFB this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PAC 12 is out. Big 12 on the fence. Sec and acc say they are still in for now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Does this start the slide toward no college football? Or will the other power 5 schools play without the Big ten? Just read this in the Washington Post, what are you guys opinions on this. 
 

Go Bills!!!

 PAC 12 will likely make the call too

 

i think you might see a few schools, perhaps even conferences, play but it’ll be very limited and fast to shut down at any risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can they postpone and not cancel? That would be better. Postponing at least gives hope there will be football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

 

I thought SEC was still trying to have a season. I think you will see no CFB this year.

I think the SEC will play.. they are the heartbeat of college football and wont give in.. JMHO 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never thought we'd have college football.  Unlike the NFL, which can set strict standards across all franchises, the NCAA isn't nearly organized enough to do the same and the wild disparity in facilities across the college landscape makes keeping everyone safe a daunting challenge.  Then, you have the athletes themselves.  The pros are being paid a schitt-ton of money, are more or less mature, most have families, and they know their livelihoods are on the line so they are more likely to behave outside of the facility.  College kids?  Umm, pretty much the opposite except for the roughly 2% who have legitimate dreams of a pro career.

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Does this start the slide toward no college football? Or will the other power 5 schools play without the Big ten? Just read this in the Washington Post, what are you guys opinions on this. 
 

NY Times says Postponing till spring... 
 

Go Bills!!!

 

Guessing you will get more responses in College Football Forum but maybe that is about European College Football .....

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Plano said:

Can they postpone and not cancel? That would be better. Postponing at least gives hope there will be football. 

Yea- 19 year old should play like 24 games in under a year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If there was actual leadership, and they cared about player/coach/staff safety and not the almighty dollar, they would cancel the season. Honor scholarships and eligibility for an extra year. Let seniors come back next year if needed. It would all even out in a couple years anyways with players leaving early for the NFL like they normally do.

 

Postponing is just as dangerous and greedy. Push it back to when? Spring? And then expect them to play again a few months later in the fall? Any player going to the NFL should and would opt out anyways.

 

Just nut up and cancel the whole thing for one year. Life will go on just fine without college sports for 1 year.

 

These arent adults who get paid to do this like the Pros. These are amateur student athletes. They shouldnt be forced to play, nor should it be on them to make a decision.

 

 

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eball said:

I never thought we'd have college football.  Unlike the NFL, which can set strict standards across all franchises, the NCAA isn't nearly organized enough to do the same and the wild disparity in facilities across the college landscape makes keeping everyone safe a daunting challenge.  Then, you have the athletes themselves.  The pros are being paid a schitt-ton of money, are more or less mature, most have families, and they know their livelihoods are on the line so they are more likely to behave outside of the facility.  College kids?  Umm, pretty much the opposite except for the roughly 2% who have legitimate dreams of a pro career.


Also highly compensated career vs student athlete 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Plano said:

Can they postpone and not cancel? That would be better. Postponing at least gives hope there will be football. 

They could have but they chose not to 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

 

Guessing you will get more responses in College Football Forum but maybe that is about European College Football .....

Valid point, although there has been a fair bit of college season banter here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hits keep on coming.

 

These schools are fine with throwing away millions of dollars?

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

 

 

Do we think that these kids are gonna play in the spring with the NFL draft in sight and risk injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...