Sign in to follow this  
boater

Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

1 minute ago, Doc said:

And the poll had nothing to do with sponsor/minority owner mutiny?

LOL, that's a good one.   Maybe it was the social/racial unrest happening for the past 3 months?  The nationwide daily protests and outrage?  Other major companies dropping images or names considered offensive?

Nah, must have been some poll done months before that they woke up to that "proved" to  them that a racial slur is bad.    

Come on doc--you absolutely do not believe this.  No one does.  Stop digging.

3 hours ago, MR8 said:

SO DID COWBOYS! Lol

Bill Cody was a performer and Buffalo hunter, nothing about his name is offensive to anyone.  

As long as you leave out the Native Americans he fought, killed, and scalped.....

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Doc said:

And the poll had nothing to do with sponsor/minority owner mutiny?  They all just suddenly realized that "redskin" was racist on their own?

Doc, which minority communities do you think object? Also, could you give me an estimate of what percentage of the overall population that you think cares at all about the names of football teams?

I live in a community with some minorities, and have been friends with and worked with every minority of which you could think. My 3 daughters are minorities. Not 1 person has ever told me that they care about the names of football teams. Zero Doc.

Btw, count me in. I don't give one infinitesimal  $%&k about names of football teams. It does irritate me just a tad to see them extorted to change, by people that are really not fans like us. 

This of course is jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Doc, which minority communities do you think object? Also, could you give me an estimate of what percentage of the overall population that you think cares at all about the names of football teams?

I live in a community with some minorities, and have been friends with and worked with every minority of which you could think. My 3 daughters are minorities. Not 1 person has ever told me that they care about the names of football teams. Zero Doc.

Btw, count me in. I don't give one infinitesimal  $%&k about names of football teams. It does irritate me just a tad to see them extorted to change, by people that

are really not fans like us. 

This of course is jmo.

I've already talked too much on this subject.  Suffice it to say that a recent poll of 2/3 of Native Americans find the term "redskins" offensive and it should be changed.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

I've already talked too much on this subject.  Suffice it to say that a recent poll of 2/3 of Native Americans find the term "redskins" offensive and it should be changed.

Cool. Lets leave it alone.

On a related note, no one knows why the city is called Buffalo.  I don't think that buffalo ever ranged in WNY.  I know that someone will point out that the city is named after Buffalo Creek but that just shifts the question to how did the creek get its name.

I once read an after-dinner speech by Grover Cleveland delivered about 1885 on this issue.  I can't find it on the web now but here's a link that includes much of what was in that speech:

https://owlcation.com/humanities/How-Buffalo-New-York-got-its-Name

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I've already talked too much on this subject.  

Truer words...

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Truer words...

For you it's always implied.

Just now, Doc said:

For you it's always implied.

lol

2 hours ago, iinii said:

As long as you leave out the Native Americans he fought, killed, and scalped.....

Scouts don't do much fighting if any, 

And if you're talkin wartime, it's wartime.. both sides are killing each other

Bill Cody made natives very rich taking them around the world

19 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

On a related note, no one knows why the city is called Buffalo.  I don't think that buffalo ever ranged in WNY.  I know that someone will point out that the city is named after Buffalo Creek but that just shifts the question to how did the creek get its name.

I once read an after-dinner speech by Grover Cleveland delivered about 1885 on this issue.  I can't find it on the web now but here's a link that includes much of what was in that speech:

https://owlcation.com/humanities/How-Buffalo-New-York-got-its-Name

Basically the origin story is it's a French translation of beau fleuve (pronounced bo-flu

Beautiful river

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Basically the origin story is it's a French translation of beau fleuve (pronounced bo-flu

Beautiful river

That's one of the theories; see the link I provided

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Scouts don't do much fighting if any, 

And if you're talkin wartime, it's wartime.. both sides are killing each other

Bill Cody made natives very rich taking them around the world

So as long as you make people rich , all is forgiven? It was most definitely war.  Scalping Yellow Hair was just all in a days work is a bit of a trivial way of looking through the lens of history. Cody’s hands had plenty of blood on them. 

3 hours ago, iinii said:

So as long as you make people rich , all is forgiven? It was most definitely war.  Scalping Yellow Hair was just all in a days work is a bit of a trivial way of looking through the lens of history. Cody’s hands had plenty of blood on them. 

You do realize natives scalped Americans too?

And during wartime especially in the 1800 nothing's off the table during fighting

If he want around raping women and children it be a different story, he was a scout in the military

He did his job

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You do realize natives scalped Americans too?

And during wartime especially in the 1800 nothing's off the table during fighting

If he want around raping women and children it be a different story, he was a scout in the military

He did his job

How do you know he didn’t do those things? Were you there? History has never been sanitized to suit a narrative of the rich and powerful. 

On 7/18/2020 at 4:16 PM, BuffaloBob said:

I could go for this suggestion.  ?

I always think as bob like poodles' tails - bobbed off.  Not good idea.

Maybe Billy Buffalo can be bobbed.

18 minutes ago, iinii said:

How do you know he didn’t do those things? Were you there? History has never been sanitized to suit a narrative of the rich and powerful. 

Nobody knows for sure. But besides football my life's passion is history

And he did and said plenty of good things about native Americans.. and helped out a bunch

If he committed war crimes, I would never stick up for that

Maybe we'll get hit with an asteroid soon and all of human history can be erased. That probably still won't be enough for some people however...

On 7/21/2020 at 8:00 PM, Limeaid said:

I always think as bob like poodles' tails - bobbed off.  Not good idea.

Maybe Billy Buffalo can be bobbed.

Bells on bobtail ring??

I always think of the woman's haircut myself.

I was kidding anyway.  Buffalo Bills is just fine by me!

On 7/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Nobody knows for sure. But besides football my life's passion is history

And he did and said plenty of good things about native Americans.. and helped out a bunch

If he committed war crimes, I would never stick up for that

So, would you consider scalping someone a war crime? 

And is killing over 4000 Bison, which the Sioux depended on for their way of life, helping out?