Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

boater

10 hours ago, Doc said:

It wasn't one poll.  It was a 2nd poll that found the same results as one done 15 years earlier.  That were somehow both off by 57% just 4 years later.  But hey, it's not my job to tell people what should and should not offend them.  And in the end, the name got changed.

And take it up with the players.  That's what they said, not me.  They obviously accepted him with open arms despite all the things he said and did to Martin.

polls don’t matter, except you someone like you who believe no derogatory term is inherently racist.  You’ve made that opinion very clear

Is Anyone worried about Bills MAFIA could be next ? I mean people who are in the mafia are not really the good guys , I hope our Italian or Russian fans/community  are not offended by it !!! 

Go Bills !!!  

7 minutes ago, Putin said:

Is Anyone worried about Bills MAFIA could be next ? I mean people who are in the mafia are not really the good guys , I hope our Italian or Russian fans/community  are not offended by it !!! 

Go Bills !!!  

No not really. If that is the case then the New Jersey Devils will have to change their name. The Devil is bad and we can't have a team named after Satan. I am actually surprised the Chicago Blackhawks haven't gotten more grief. I personally think they have the best logo in hockey and one of the best in sports but the PC crowd probably finds it offensive.

5 minutes ago, Greg S said:

No not really. If that is the case then the New Jersey Devils will have to change their name. The Devil is bad and we can't have a team named after Satan. I am actually surprised the Chicago Blackhawks haven't gotten more grief. I personally think they have the best logo in hockey and one of the best in sports but the PC crowd probably finds it offensive.

Apparently the Blackhawks have worked with Native Americans and engaged in an educational effort to show that their nickname isn’t a characterization of a race or culture, it’s honoring a specific individual — Chief Black Hawk — who was an Illinois historic figure.

Just now, eball said:

Apparently the Blackhawks have worked with Native Americans and engaged in an educational effort to show that their nickname isn’t a characterization of a race or culture, it’s honoring a specific individual — Chief Black Hawk — who was an Illinois historic figure.

I didn't know that. I guess that explains it but I wouldn't put it past today's society to try and have that changed eventually.

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

I didn't know that. I guess that explains it but I wouldn't put it past today's society to try and have that changed eventually.

It’s kind of weird...I mean, the Bills are also named after a specific person but it’s not like there are teams naming themselves the Lincolns or the Kennedys.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

polls don’t matter, except you someone like you who believe no derogatory term is inherently racist.  You’ve made that opinion very clear

If that's your takeaway, have at it.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If that's your takeaway, have at it.

You have made clear your thought process multiple times in this thread--there is no other takeaway.  Why now pretend otherwise?

And do you think the pressure and submission to the name change is due to any poll of Native Americans?  

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You have made clear your thought process multiple times in this thread--there is no other takeaway.  Why now pretend otherwise?

And do you think the pressure and submission to the name change is due to any poll of Native Americans?  

Yes I've made it clear.  You just believe what you want, as usual.  

Considering a recent poll showed 2/3 of Native Americans disapprove of the term, whereas a poll conducted just 4 years ago showed that  only10% do, sure I'd have to say that that poll could be the impetus for the name change now versus anytime in their almost 90-year history, or even last 4 years. 

Edited by Doc

On 7/13/2020 at 12:21 PM, boater said:

Listening to the windbag live right now. He's saying the Buffalo Bills may be up next to change their name.

Rationale: They are named after Buffalo Bill Cody who murdered many Native Americans.

I hope the Bills don't change their name.

(it's 930 AM, or WBEN on radio.com)

I read Buffalo Bill Cody's biography, he fought in the civil war, was anti slavery, got into a hand to hand combat with a Cheyene warrior and killed that man. The article didn't explain the nature of the fight. Otherwise, was a hard working stand up guy. Of course did the wild west show highlighting the wild west. Maybe worked for the pony express, a little fuzzy if he actually did according to the article I read. Not that it really matters actually.

I don't see a pressing need to change the name because of Buffalo Bill Cody

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yes I've made it clear.  You just believe what you want, as usual.  

Considering a recent poll showed 2/3 of Native Americans disapprove of the term, whereas a poll conducted just 4 years ago showed that  only10% do, sure I'd have to say that that poll is the impetus for the name change now versus anytime in their almost 90-year history. 

That poll was published in the press in February.  It resulted in no response from Snyder to change the name.  His recent change of heart was prompted by sponsor/minority owner mutiny as you well know.  It had nothing to do with a poll published months ago--why keep pretending otherwise?

On 7/13/2020 at 3:21 PM, boater said:

Listening to the windbag live right now. He's saying the Buffalo Bills may be up next to change their name.

Rationale: They are named after Buffalo Bill Cody who murdered many Native Americans.

I hope the Bills don't change their name.

(it's 930 AM, or WBEN on radio.com)

SO DID COWBOYS! Lol

Bill Cody was a performer and Buffalo hunter, nothing about his name is offensive to anyone.  

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That poll was published in the press in February.  It resulted in no response from Snyder to change the name.  His recent change of heart was prompted by sponsor/minority owner mutiny as you well know.  It had nothing to do with a poll published months ago--why keep pretending otherwise?

And the poll had nothing to do with sponsor/minority owner mutiny?  They all just suddenly realized that "redskin" was racist on their own?

Edited by Doc

1 minute ago, Doc said:

And the poll had nothing to do with sponsor/minority owner mutiny?

LOL, that's a good one.   Maybe it was the social/racial unrest happening for the past 3 months?  The nationwide daily protests and outrage?  Other major companies dropping images or names considered offensive?

Nah, must have been some poll done months before that they woke up to that "proved" to  them that a racial slur is bad.    

Come on doc--you absolutely do not believe this.  No one does.  Stop digging.

3 hours ago, MR8 said:

SO DID COWBOYS! Lol

Bill Cody was a performer and Buffalo hunter, nothing about his name is offensive to anyone.  

As long as you leave out the Native Americans he fought, killed, and scalped.....

5 hours ago, Doc said:

And the poll had nothing to do with sponsor/minority owner mutiny?  They all just suddenly realized that "redskin" was racist on their own?

Doc, which minority communities do you think object? Also, could you give me an estimate of what percentage of the overall population that you think cares at all about the names of football teams?

I live in a community with some minorities, and have been friends with and worked with every minority of which you could think. My 3 daughters are minorities. Not 1 person has ever told me that they care about the names of football teams. Zero Doc.

Btw, count me in. I don't give one infinitesimal  $%&k about names of football teams. It does irritate me just a tad to see them extorted to change, by people that are really not fans like us. 

This of course is jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Doc, which minority communities do you think object? Also, could you give me an estimate of what percentage of the overall population that you think cares at all about the names of football teams?

I live in a community with some minorities, and have been friends with and worked with every minority of which you could think. My 3 daughters are minorities. Not 1 person has ever told me that they care about the names of football teams. Zero Doc.

Btw, count me in. I don't give one infinitesimal  $%&k about names of football teams. It does irritate me just a tad to see them extorted to change, by people that

are really not fans like us. 

This of course is jmo.

I've already talked too much on this subject.  Suffice it to say that a recent poll of 2/3 of Native Americans find the term "redskins" offensive and it should be changed.

• Like (+1) 2

On a related note, no one knows why the city is called Buffalo.  I don't think that buffalo ever ranged in WNY.  I know that someone will point out that the city is named after Buffalo Creek but that just shifts the question to how did the creek get its name.

I once read an after-dinner speech by Grover Cleveland delivered about 1885 on this issue.  I can't find it on the web now but here's a link that includes much of what was in that speech:

https://owlcation.com/humanities/How-Buffalo-New-York-got-its-Name