Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

boater

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because lots of people don't like going against the status quo

But it's just a numbers game. There weren't enough settlers out west to wipe out 60 million Buffalo

Let alone their territory was over vast amounts of land. They were not hunted to near Extinction, it was a host of ecological factors

Edited by Buffalo716

52 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because lots of people don't like going against the status quo

But it's just a numbers game. There weren't enough settlers out west to wipe out 60 million Buffalo

Let alone their territory was over vast amounts of land. They were not hunted to near Extinction, it was a host of ecological factors

You should read the second link Promo posted. The reason there were so many bison was that they were managed well by the Sioux. Once the Sioux were removed from the equation, the bison became victims of diseases they had lived with for millennia. Which brings us back to Cody. He helped the US army destroy the Native Americans. And you praise him for what? Giving some old Indians a bunch of money to play the role of savages in a Vaudeville Act? 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The second link is very informative. Thanks

21 minutes ago, iinii said:

You should read the second link Promo posted. The reason there were so many bison was that they were managed well by the Sioux. Once the Sioux were removed from the equation, the bison became victims of diseases they had lived with for millennia. Which brings us back to Cody. He helped the US army destroy the Native Americans. And you praise him for what? Giving some old Indians a bunch of money to play the role of savages in a Vaudeville Act? 

The second link is very informative. Thanks

He killed 4000 maximum. There were 65 million

He didn't even dent it, and he personally didn't cause the diseases to creep in.

that second article literally says over population of Bison led to starvation and disease and the natives used to keep that in check. Okay, that has nothing to do with Bill Cody

But  a couple posts ago you were saying that Cody killed all the bison that the Sioux depended on? So what is it?

Did Cody kill so many plains bison that the Sioux couldn't function properly? 

Or where the bison overpopulated, and ecological factors led to their decline? 

that article said they were so overpopulated that they were starving to death, and since they were malnourished their immune systems didn't work

And I never praised Bill Cody once. I never said he was an honorable venerable man who should be held in high regards, or anything like that

I Said he was a scout and the owner of a frontier show which made people money.. that's all, nothing more or less.. 

But it's certainly not something that needs to be dragged up about changing our name

Edited by Buffalo716

39 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He killed 4000 maximum. There were 65 million

He didn't even dent it, and he personally didn't cause the diseases to creep in.

that second article literally says over population of Bison led to starvation and disease and the natives used to keep that in check. Okay, that has nothing to do with Bill Cody

But  a couple posts ago you were saying that Cody killed all the bison that the Sioux depended on? So what is it?

Did Cody kill so many plains bison that the Sioux couldn't function properly? 

Or where the bison overpopulated, and ecological factors led to their decline? 

that article said they were so overpopulated that they were starving to death, and since they were malnourished their immune systems didn't work

And I never praised Bill Cody once. I never said he was an honorable venerable man who should be held in high regards, or anything like that

I Said he was a scout and the owner of a frontier show which made people money.. that's all, nothing more or less.. 

But it's certainly not something that needs to be dragged up about changing our name

He didn't personally cause the diseases to creep in but by scouting, fighting and scalping Native Americans, there was literally blood on his hands, so trying to imply he had nothing to do with it is a bit disingenuous. If as a scout he helped the US Army he had something to do with it. Saying he had nothing to do with it is like saying Allen threw the pass but had nothing to do with the touchdown.

I stated he killed over 4000 bison, which is pretty much agreed upon, I didn't say he killed ALL THE BISON. So what is it? 

You said he made a bunch of Native Americans rich like that was some sort of humanitarian thing, which is basically where all this started. I implied he merely exploited them for his own gain, much like the billionaires continue to do to the millionaires. So if he wasn't some venerable honorable man why would you want to wear his name on your body? By your logic you are just adorning yourself with the name of some average Joe.

You are once again going to have to stick to one side of the fence. History says not only was he a scout but an Indian fighter. You have proclaimed more than once war is war and basically that is just the nature of the beast. Tomato/Tahmahto 

13 minutes ago, iinii said:

He didn't personally cause the diseases to creep in but by scouting, fighting and scalping Native Americans, there was literally blood on his hands, so trying to imply he had nothing to do with it is a bit disingenuous. If as a scout he helped the US Army he had something to do with it. Saying he had nothing to do with it is like saying Allen threw the pass but had nothing to do with the touchdown.

I stated he killed over 4000 bison, which is pretty much agreed upon, I didn't say he killed ALL THE BISON. So what is it? 

You said he made a bunch of Native Americans rich like that was some sort of humanitarian thing, which is basically where all this started. I implied he merely exploited them for his own gain, much like the billionaires continue to do to the millionaires. So if he wasn't some venerable honorable man why would you want to wear his name on your body? By your logic you are just adorning yourself with the name of some average Joe.

You are once again going to have to stick to one side of the fence. History says not only was he a scout but an Indian fighter. You have proclaimed more than once war is war and basically that is just the nature of the beast. Tomato/Tahmahto 

That certainly can be true.

But Nobody here was alive to see how he treated natives and he could've been respectful

We only have things written down

If it wasn't for the wild west show nobody would know who he was

Edited by Buffalo716

On 7/27/2020 at 8:59 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

What a strange turn this thread took… The annoying conservationist in me can’t help but respond! For what it’s worth, the second article features the opinions of one researcher and doesn’t represent the overwhelming consensus from wildlife experts. Same goes for Buffalo716’s rather aggressive declarations of fact. I’m not saying I know these two are wrong. I’m emphasizing their minority stance on the subject.

Most ecologists believe that the large majority of the blame for the decline in American bison numbers goes to overhunting from nineteenth century European American settlers. Prior to the Manifest Destiny expansion, it is widely understood that Native Americans had maintained a fairly stable population balance with the American bison they hunted. Also, it was almost definitely a LOT more than tens of thousands of bison that were killed from frontier hunting. It was likely in the tens of millions over multiple nineteenth century decades.

Dr. Sierra Stoneberg Holt’s disease theory is probably at least partly true, but also potentially misleading. Tick fever and anthrax had been with American bison species for a long time, but the more likely diseases (Brucellosis?) that decimated the American bison population came from the settlers’ domesticated cattle. Fast forward decades into the westward expansion after the Lewis and Clark expedition, and one could have witnessed firsthand the rapid disruption to ecosystems and the massive reductions in space in which the American bison could roam as a consequence of shortsighted agricultural planning. This ecosystem damage and space confinement is what probably created the ripe conditions for cross-species bovine bacteria and viruses to spread like epidemics. Modern day examples of what I’m talking about: zoonotic coronaviruses (like Covid-19?) more easily transfer as a result of habitat destruction (bats to intermediary species to humans from Chinese deforestation practices?) and then proliferate like wildfire in more confined spaces (say…NYC?).

So remember that regardless of the specific reason for the demise of the American bison, we can all still safely blame evil omnivorous humans. Or at least I will. Sorry. I know this wasn’t the point of the thread, but I couldn’t help myself. Yes, we should absolutely keep the name “Buffalo Bills.” Carry on.

It's not about the treatment of native Americans... this name change stuff.

If the liberals are very open to immigration,  migrants and refugees now for a myriad of reasons,  why wouldn't they be for massive immigration,  legal and illegal, migration,  and refugees during the discovery of the new world for those same reasons ...?

We know the answer 

If you know the answer, there's nothing to discuss 

13 minutes ago, AirAllenPower said:

It's not about the treatment of native Americans... this name change stuff.

If the liberals are very open to immigration,  migrants and refugees now for a myriad of reasons,  why wouldn't they be for massive immigration,  legal and illegal, migration,  and refugees during the discovery of the new world for those same reasons ...?

We know the answer 

If you know the answer, there's nothing to discuss 

Wow, you have some takes.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wow, you have some takes.  

I got another one

If liberals are not as outraged with the tribal warfare within the native American people,  which includes rape, torture,  scalping and enslavement, then we know why....

And there's nothing to discuss.  

The mirror effect reveals the true hatred many of these ppl really have. Its easy to expose

This thread is crazy.  

Redskins changed their name because it was a derogatory name.  

Buffalo Bill Cody is known for supplyIng food and for entertainment.  His family was also very against slavery and his dad paid his life for it.  In almost every recollection of the life of Bill Cody, there is nothing sinister.  His life was sensationalized by a book early in his life and he capitalized on that to become a legend with his traveling show.

At the end of the day, literally nobody in their right mind is coming after the Bills to change their name, nor should they, as their is nothing disrespectful or sinister about it.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This thread is crazy.  

Buffalo Bill Cody is known for supplyIng food and for entertainment.  His family was also very against slavery and his dad paid his life for it.  In almost every recollection of the life of Bill Cody, there is nothing sinister.  His life was sensationalized by a book early in his life and he capitalized on that to become a legend with his traveling show.

At the end of the day, literally nobody in their right mind is coming after the Bills to change their name, nor should they, as their is nothing disrespectful or sinister about it.  

You are spot on and this discussion has no value.  A topic by a talking head with no basis in fact.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, AirAllenPower said:

I got another one

If liberals are not as outraged with the tribal warfare within the native American people,  which includes rape, torture,  scalping and enslavement, then we know why....

And there's nothing to discuss.  

The mirror effect reveals the true hatred many of these ppl really have. Its easy to expose

It’s a long way to the bottom of the Bottomless Pit.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This thread is crazy.  

Didn’t  you know being against slavery is now considered white privilege, and therefore racist?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This thread is crazy.  

Of course that’s all true, but as you say “nobody in their right mind”.

Lots of people who don’t meet that criteria are being given a voice in the current PC hysteria.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Of course that’s all true, but as you say “nobody in their right mind”.

Lots of people who don’t meet that criteria are being given a voice in the current PC hysteria.

ZERO people from the big bad "PC/Cancel Culture" group are calling for this or have even mentioned it.

ONLY Tom Bauerle, as a fear-mongering tactic. And he has managed to play a lot of people in this thread like a fiddle.

So it seems Tom Bauerle is the only one not in their right mind here. But for someone who thinks people in invisibility cloaks are camped in his yard to spy on him... that sounds about right.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

ZERO people from the big bad "PC/Cancel Culture" group are calling for this or have even mentioned it.

ONLY Tom Bauerle, as a fear-mongering tactic. And he has managed to play a lot of people in this thread like a fiddle.

So it seems Tom Bauerle is the only one not in their right mind here. But for someone who thinks people in invisibility cloaks are camped in his yard to spy on him... that sounds about right.

My point is the mob is calling for cancellation of all sorts of things equally as ridiculous as innocuous team names.

• Like (+1) 1