Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

boater

On 7/13/2020 at 4:17 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

No, I'm saying there's no indication anywhere of what "Bills" means -- except old game programs from the '60s

Did he really think that? Might as well be the Buffalo Bobs

I could go for this suggestion.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

This is all so stupid. 

- Patriots probably killed many more native Americans than Bill Cody.  

- Jets have dropped bombs/fired guns on people in war. 

- Saints are associated with the Catholic Church (which is associated with child molestation)
- Buccaneers raped and pillaged innocent people. 

These are quick and off the top of my head.. people can be offended by almost anything. 

That said, I do understand the offensive nature of the word ‘redskin’ and while it’d be weird, agree with the considerations to change the name. 

In the pantheon of "this is a slippery slope!" arguments.....this might be the absolute worst and least convincing.

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In the pantheon of "this is a slippery slope!" arguments.....this might be the absolute worst and least convincing.

Including the Bills, they're all dumb reasons to change the names.  Which was the point.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Putin said:

And you know this because ? 

The obviousness of it.  I mean you can make up any bogus statements to make a point.  They are still false.

Lol..."jets" as offensive language.   Is this poster (and are you) offended by the word "car"?--far more people have been killed by them than by "jets".   No, you are not.  No one is, and the mere suggestion is ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No one is offended by the words: jets, saints, buccaneers.

His argument was absurd.   

And who is offended by "Buffalo Bills"?  Probably the same number of people as the names you mentioned.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

And who is offended by "Buffalo Bills"?  Probably the same number of people as the names you mentioned.

Many here have correctly pointed out that this radio guy is speaking nonsense.  Yet "Playoffs" seems not to have caught on, so he doubled down with even more ridiculous examples of nonsense that also isn't happening.  

"Where does it end?!?"  Where, indeed...

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The obviousness of it.  I mean you can make up any bogus statements to make a point.  They are still false.

Lol..."jets" as offensive language.   Is this poster (and are you) offended by the word "car"?--far more people have been killed by them than by "jets".   No, you are not.  No one is, and the mere suggestion is ridiculous.

I see you left the Saints out , you think maybe our Muslim or Jewish community could be offended ?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

I see you left the Saints out , you think maybe our Muslim or Jewish community could be offended ?

No.  No one could be offended by the word "saints", anymore than they could be by the words "mayor" or "governor", despite many mayors and governors committing crimes while in office.

Quit while your not too far behind...

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No.  No one could be offended by the word "saints", anymore than they could be by the words "mayor" or "governor", despite many mayors and governors committing crimes while in office.

Quit while your not too far behind...

I’m offended by your suggestion ? that I’m behind 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Many here have correctly pointed out that this radio guy is speaking nonsense.  Yet "Playoffs" seems not to have caught on, so he doubled down with even more ridiculous examples of nonsense that also isn't happening.  

"Where does it end?!?"  Where, indeed...

That's the million dollar question.  The Redskins' name change now opens the floodgates for other potential name changes, just because 10% of Native Americans were offended by it.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

That's the million dollar question.  The Redskins' name change now opens the floodgates for other potential name changes, just because 10% of Native Americans were offended by it.

So because of the plainly offensive name of the Washington team is going to finally be changed, it logically follows that the "floodgates" include words like "jets", saints" and "buccaneers" will be pressured to go as well?

Like I said, as a "slippery slope" argument, this is a mess.  It's not even good sarcasm.

And why did you feel the compulsion to include the 10% bit (it's 67% in a much larger recent study)?  To tell us that you believe that a derogatory comment is only so if a majority of those it marginalizes/insults says so in a poll?  Or do you think that is the only reason it is/should be changing?  

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So because of the plainly offensive name of the Washington team is going to finally be changed, it logically follows that the "floodgates" include words like "jets", saints" and "buccaneers" will be pressured to go as well?

Like I said, as a "slippery slope" argument, this is a mess.  It's not even good sarcasm.

And why did you feel the compulsion to include the 10% bit (it's 67% in a much larger recent study)?  To tell us that you believe that a derogatory comment is only so if a majority of those it marginalizes/insults says so in a poll?  Or do you think that is the only reason it is/should be changing?  

There was a 2016 Washington Post poll that found that 9 out of 10 Native Americans didn't find the name "Washington Redskins" offensive, which was consistent with a poll from 2004.  Going by that, what percentage of outrage do we use to justify changing things? 

However if the number is truly 67%, then yes, changing it is a good idea.  But at least, that's a good majority.

The other names mentioned are about as "logical" to be changed as the Bills name is.  Why you didn't bristle at that, and instead offered a (not even good sarcasm) name change is what's curious.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

There was a 2016 Washington Post poll that found that 9 out of 10 Native Americans didn't find the name "Washington Redskins" offensive, which was consistent with a poll from 2004.  Going by that, what percentage of outrage do we use to justify changing things? 

However if the number is truly 67%, then yes, changing it is a good idea.  But at least, that's a good majority.

The other names mentioned are about as "logical" to be changed as the Bills name is.  Why you didn't bristle at that, and instead offered a (not even good sarcasm) name change is what's curious.

Again, yes the Bills name change is silly. But the topic of this thread is that some radio goofball said the Bills are next.  Some here took that as a serious threat,then went off on a really dumb argument about "what's next".

This isn't hard.

And there is no "majority" needed to realize a blatantly racist team name is in fact racist.  Believing so is....curious.

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Again, yes the Bills name change is silly. But the topic of this thread is that some radio goofball said the Bills are next.  Some here took that as a serious threat,then went off on a really dumb argument about "what's next".

This isn't hard.

And there is no "majority" needed to realize a blatantly racist team name is in fact racist.  Believing so is....curious.

No, what's not hard is that the Bills changing their name was the dumb "what's next."  Your post on page 11 should have been your first post in this thread.

And if a term is not deemed racist to the vast majority of the people to whom it's allegedly derogatory, is it really racist?